Nebraska Football 2017-2018

hskr4life

2 minutes ago, 49r said:

Well I hope for Bill Moos' sake he already has an agreement finalized with Scott Frost to come in to replace Riley.  I'm afraid if it's anyone else the fans might burn Memorial Stadium to the ground.  With Moos in it.

I hope things unravel as I've heard them to be declared... If they do, then I'd still be shocked that Florida was the one with the short stick not getting their #1 or #2 choices. I just hope we're not the ones with the "wait what?" hiring again.

4 minutes ago, nustudent said:

This.

Really unfortunate the football part of the job wasn't up to par.

Yep, firings are tough no matter who it is, but this one hits home.  He needs to stay involved with football and kids somehow.  I don't know if he will coach again, but he needs to be involved with football and mentoring kids.  Can 100% see why he would be loved by players.

4 hours ago, 49r said:

Well I hope for Bill Moos' sake he already has an agreement finalized with Scott Frost to come in to replace Riley.  I'm afraid if it's anyone else the fans might burn Memorial Stadium to the ground.  With Moos in it.

Think about all of those Wisconsin football coaches and how good they are at Wisconsin and how good they are when they leave Wisconsin.  That's sort of what I've seen in Moos...a guy who will probably enhance whomever he picks to be the next coach...and he'll probably pick someone who is good at recruiting and coaching.  Seems a lot more simple when you don't overthink about whether a guy runs the option or if a guy used to play here.

If Moos ends up landing Frost the main reason won't be that it's because it's popular with the fans.

Moos did the inevitable in a classy and respectful manner.  Riley, especially attending a post-dismissal press conference, moves on with my respect.  The dude is a heck of a guy.  Nebraskans will remember him as a person, but unfortunately, not as a coach.  Good luck Coach Riley in your future endeavors. 

3 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

Moos did the inevitable in a classy and respectful manner.  Riley, especially attending a post-dismissal press conference, moves on with my respect.  The dude is a heck of a guy.  Nebraskans will remember him as a person, but unfortunately, not as a coach.  Good luck Coach Riley in your future endeavors. 

100%... if Riley's future endeavors somehow allow him to be a part of our athletic department on the football side, I would not complain.  I know that is a long shot though.

I did not read Lee's piece about the athletic department, but from what I have seen with my two eyes and from friends who have very little but some insider information.  This never was or was ever ment for this program to be Mike Riley's.  It was like he never got to coach or run the program as he wanted, not really allowed to coach as he had at his other stops.  I think that is why he always looked so "disinterested" or "lost" during games becuase he had no idea what was really going on becaus ehe wasn't even in the loop.

Just what I feel form what I can muster together.  Could be wat off but maybe not either.

Not trying to stir shit up, just sincerely curious: how is it that Riley can leave after 3 disastrous years and a contract extension and everyone is all #respect, but when Doc Sadler left, some people were demanding he pay back the ridiculously low salary we paid him?

Edited by Norm Peterson

5 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Not trying to stir shit up, just sincerely curious: how is it that Riley can leave after 3 disastrous years and a contract extension and everyone is all #respect, but when Doc Sadler left, some people were demanding he pay back the ridiculously low salary we paid him?

I loved Doc.  I think he was 100% class as well.  Anyone who was like this is probably the same people saying crap about Riley and Miles.  Yeah, results haven't totally been there, but we have had some really great program representatives.

20 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I've looked and I'm not seeing the same kind of venom directed at Riley that we saw directed at Doc.  Or "Kenneth" as the slack-jawed, sheeple idiots liked to call him.

And Doc had a farewell press conference! That thing was emotional. Class act.

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I've looked and I'm not seeing the same kind of venom directed at Riley that we saw directed at Doc.  Or "Kenneth" as the slack-jawed, sheeple idiots liked to call him.

Might be the jaysker factor there, Norm.  "Kenneth" gives that away.  I'll concede there isn't as much venom directed at Mike Riley today as there was at Doc but I did see someone comment that they think Riley should be ashamed and promise to give back all the money he "stole" from the University.  There are some pretty ignorant people out there saying some pretty ignorant things.

On 11/24/2017 at 10:17 PM, AuroranHusker said:

Man, that was tough to watch. We ended up leaving after 3 quarters (and we've never left early....).

I hope no none boo'd you as you were leaving. I know several people here claim they would heckle you for daring to leave early. 

Maybe it is just because I haven't had my oatmeal yet, but I really do get the fact that Riley is a class act and nice person. He would make a good priest, but as a football coach he just sucked. For some reason I sort of doubt Scott Frost will want to come here after the experiences he has had at other, more successful programs. Not meeting the Nebraska fan base's delusional expectations could well be a career killer for a young coach just beginning his climb. If Moos whiffs with Frost, I think Houston Nutt may still be available as a fall back choice. And I agree with Norm about the vitriol directed toward Mr. Sadler who was more successful than Riley while he was here.

Edited by jimmykc