Nebraska Football 2017-2018

hskr4life

On 11/4/2017 at 7:39 PM, Silverbacked1 said:

I think that maybe the AD needs to say that will finish the year as the head coach, but that he will not be retained at the end of the year.

This allows us to really show that our job is open, allows the other coaches to start looking now.  But mostly it allows the kids the answer that they need to hear.

You can get the ball rolling on all of these things before the job is actually open. Of Moos is worth everything they're paying him, he won't be caught off guard and the wheels are already in motion.

22 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

You can get the ball rolling on all of these things before the job is actually open. Of Moos is worth everything they're paying him, he won't be caught off guard and the wheels are already in motion.

I am sure that all the "behind the scene stuff" has been churning for quite some time.  I am just asking for the people in front of the curtain to know what is going on.;)

Edited by Silverbacked1

If you were still on the Riley ship before today, it might be time to get your life jacket on and get off.  One team today is Rowing the Boat.  The other teams boat is sinking.

We have no heart to go along with no tackling and even better.... NO D.  This is ridiculous.  This is disgusting.  This is a disgrace.  

27-7 everyone.  Not a single punt today from Minnesota..... MINNESOTA!!!!  Holy cow.

28 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

This is soooo disappointing.  My goodness, the team has quit, the staff has quit, and it is just a plain ugly.  Need to get a head of the curve Mr. Moos, the change needs to come NOW.

All the natural and obvious consequence of a horrible hire by a pathetically overmatched AD.   How this can be a surprise to anyone amazes me. 

15 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I won't lie, you can go back to threads from when Riley was hired.  I thought maybe it was a good hire.  I thought it was a nice experiment that might work.  However, it hasn't worked.  And we need to pull the plug on the experiment.

Appreciate the guts and accountability in owning up to that one.   Respect. 

12 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Have we ever lost as badly to a team with a losing record?

Pittsburgh in 1957 finished 4-6 and beat Nebraska 34-0.  But, they were 2-1 going into the Nebraska game.

Missouri in 1943 finished 3-5 and beat Nebraska 54-20.  Missouri was 1-3 at the time.

Edited by Dead Dog Alley

1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

We're lucky we beat Purdue and Arkansas State.  We very easily could have just 2 wins right now.........

I'm not a big proponent of this type of argument, because it overstates the bad outcomes and neglects the "we could've also won x-games" side of it. But in this scenario, we really only win one other game (Northwestern) that was in the loss column that could've been flipped. We're shattering decades of records this year but not in a good way.

2 hours ago, HB said:

All the natural and obvious consequence of a horrible hire by a pathetically overmatched AD.   How this can be a surprise to anyone amazes me. 

This plus 1 million.

Thankfully, Eichorst did not have the political capital to fire Coach Miles at the end of last season like I'm sure he wanted to - God only knows what kind of hire he would've made. 

2 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

Pittsburgh in 1957 finished 4-6 and beat Nebraska 34-0.  But, they were 2-1 going into the Nebraska game.

Missouri in 1943 finished 3-5 and beat Nebraska 54-20.  Missouri was 1-3 at the time.

Oh good.  I feel much better. I was worried this was the most embarrassing loss in program history. Instead, it’s just the most embarrassing since 1943.  Whew.

3 hours ago, hskr4life said:

I won't lie, you can go back to threads from when Riley was hired.  I thought maybe it was a good hire.  I thought it was a nice experiment that might work.  However, it hasn't worked.  And we need to pull the plug on the experiment.

I’m with you.  When it comes to sports, I don’t believe it’s about correct steps always equal “success”, absolutes or determinism.  It could have worked, it hasn’t.  Things seemed to be falling into place for this thing to go upward (going into this year).   Have the players bought in, is there unity, are there leaders and if so, are there good followers.  You have to believe you can win every time you step on the field.  You have to believe in the coaches and the coaches have to motivate.  Look at scores week to week across the country,  it’s crazy.  Of course NU can be  solid program again, just don’t expect the crazy top flight consistency that we were used to ALL those years.   We gotta be realistic, we will likely not have that.  The current landscape doesn’t lend itself to that.  Work for it, believe it can happen sure (and sometimes it will).   I hope we get a great guy in here and get competitive again no doubt.  I hope we have stability for a while, but there will be some ups and downs and lopsided scores once in a while.  I hope we have some context.  Call  me a pessimist, say I’m lowering standards.  Look around college football.  Context, I’m being realistic.  Shaky AD’s and shaky coaches, let’s make a great hire and have some solid success again ! But let’s also be solid supporters, realistic and patient.  I have no doubt that with the right hire and some decent fortune, we could have a pretty solid team next year.  But who knows there may be some tough growing pains next year too.  One thing is clear, in this day and age, it’s time to move on.

2 minutes ago, lang said:

I’m with you.  When it comes to sports, I don’t believe it’s about correct steps always equal “success”, absolutes or determinism.  It could have worked, it hasn’t.  Things seemed to be falling into place for this thing to go upward (going into this year).   Have the players bought in, is there unity, are there leaders and if so, are there good followers.  You have to believe you can win every time you step on the field.  You have to believe in the coaches and the coaches have to motivate.  Look at scores week to week across the country,  it’s crazy.  Of course NU can be  solid program again, just don’t expect the crazy top flight consistency that we were used to ALL those years.   We gotta be realistic, we will likely not have that.  The current landscape doesn’t lend itself to that.  Work for it, believe it can happen sure (and sometimes it will).   I hope we get a great guy in here and get competitive again no doubt.  I hope we have stability for a while, but there will be some ups and downs and lopsided scores once in a while.  I hope we have some context.  Call  me a pessimist, say I’m lowering standards.  Look around college football.  Context, I’m being realistic.  Shaky AD’s and shaky coaches, let’s make a great hire and have some solid success again ! But let’s also be solid supporters, realistic and patient.  I have no doubt that with the right hire and some decent fortune, we could have a pretty solid team next year.  But who knows there may be some tough growing pains next year too.  One thing is clear, in this day and age, it’s time to move on.

I agree.  It just seems like everyone has packed it in this year.  I don't expect Alabama like success.  I expect competitive games.  Beating teams we should be.  Upsets here and there.  8-9 win seasons minimum.  Every now and then making a Wisconsin type run.  Making a bowl EVERY year.  

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

I agree.  It just seems like everyone has packed it in this year.  I don't expect Alabama like success.  I expect competitive games.  Beating teams we should be.  Upsets here and there.  8-9 win seasons minimum.  Every now and then making a Wisconsin type run.  Making a bowl EVERY year.  

I appreciate your point.  I suspect that you mean this year's run so far.  We should aim for their type of consistency year in and year out.  Some suggest on call in shows, message boards etc. that NU should lower their expectations.  From what to what depends on what each one is thinking I guess.  I know this obvious truism: if you don't aim high, you have zero or almost zero chance of getting there.  I could exhaust this subject for pages, but I don't want to bore people.  :o

Just now, mwm89 said:

I appreciate your point.  I suspect that you mean this year's run so far.  We should aim for their type of consistency year in and year out.  Some suggest on call in shows, message boards etc. that NU should lower their expectations.  From what to what depends on what each one is thinking I guess.  I know this obvious truism: if you don't aim high, you have zero or almost zero chance of getting there.  I could exhaust this subject for pages, but I don't want to bore people.  :o

Yes, this years one is what I am talking about.  An undefeated shot at the playoff.