Nebraska Football 2017-2018

hskr4life

I am very surprised on the player development side.  I became super excited when I heard about what the coaching staff was able to do with less talented players at Oregon State.  They took lesser plays and had 8, 9, 10 win seasons.   Now he is getting higher ranked players, I thought division titles would be on the horizon.   We haven't seen those types of players getting better.  Lee, Spielman are probably improving the most.

I will say we very easily could be 6 - 2 if Lee played Oregon and Northern Illinois, now.  Not the one with 7 picks in those 2 games.  

Now, I understand fans' frustrations.   This season has not went well.  The problem I have is the fans' facination with Frost.  I feel if I don't get an update on Frost's daily bowel movement, it's disappointing.   He is NOT the coach right now and Nebraska has a coach.  If Moos decides to make a change after Iowa and dismisses Riley, then we can talk about a new coach.  It's not fair to the players or coaches giving their all every day of the year.

It is interesting how so many just think fire Riley now, and Frost will come riding in on a large white horse to save us all.

So far we haven't guessed right on anything in like the last 20 years or so, why are so many so sure now?

I also agree that all this talk just makes it really tough on the kids, the seniors must be hurting the most.

Just think in their 4-5 years here they have had what?  1 new president, 2 ADs, 2 Head Coaches, Numberous Position Coaches and have a highly respected and loved teammate killed right before the season started.  Oh yeah and hearing boos and reading how they suck from some on a daily basis.

That is a life time of pressure for some people. 

11 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

It is interesting how so many just think fire Riley now, and Frost will come riding in on a large white horse to save us all.

I agree that Frost is not a lock to come here.  He will have his pick of the litter.  However, I don't know that we have made the right "football" move for our program with the last hire.  I think that is why we might need change.

So far we haven't guessed right on anything in like the last 20 years or so, why are so many so sure now?

Again agree 100%.  We could fire Riley and not even sniff Frost.  We certainly have to make sure the $$ is right.

I also agree that all this talk just makes it really tough on the kids, the seniors must be hurting the most.

Yeah, it is a pretty tough situation for them to be in.  I think that AD #1 was bad for the kids though.

Just think in their 4-5 years here they have had what?  1 new president, 2 ADs, 2 Head Coaches, Numberous Position Coaches and have a highly respected and loved teammate killed right before the season started.  Oh yeah and hearing boos and reading how they suck from some on a daily basis.

I also think that the boos are a little excessive.  These STUDENT athletes give a lot for our programs on a weekly basis.  There are other places to make a statement on change that is needed.  However, I will argue that the "pressure" is something that you kind of signed up for.  You didn't have to accept a scholarship or play football at all.  When I was in college, I received an academic scholarship.  Knowing I had to keep a certain GPA was pressure on every test.  I think that pressure is good for these kids and it will be a good learning experience.

That is a life time of pressure for some people. 

If I could 1000 time up arrow this, I would.  

2 hours ago, brfrad said:

The problem I have is the fans' facination with Frost.  I feel if I don't get an update on Frost's daily bowel movement, it's disappointing.   He is NOT the coach right now and Nebraska has a coach.  If Moos decides to make a change after Iowa and dismisses Riley, then we can talk about a new coach.  It's not fair to the players or coaches giving their all every day of the year.

Is this not what happens on HHC regarding Nebraska basketball just about every year around February to June?

7 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Is this not what happens on HHC regarding Nebraska basketball just about every year around February to June?

Not as much.  We debate more is this coach going to make it or not.  We aren't zeroing in on one coach.  It would be more akin to all Nebrasketball fans saying Miles is done after the loss at MSU, wondering what Lue did, and if he would comeback home.  Would we have 75% of the fans hoping for Frost, if he wasn't from Nebraska?

23 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

If I could 1000 time up arrow this, I would.  

I agree pressure is what most of us make it and as they say steel hardens steel.

I just find the whole thing really fascinating how some worry so much about something they can't even come close to making a difference with.;)

And I also know that this is after all a message board and we need to tak about things.  But it is just funny that so many are always so sure of te answers.;)

Edited by Silverbacked1

13 hours ago, brfrad said:

Not as much.  We debate more is this coach going to make it or not.  We aren't zeroing in on one coach.  It would be more akin to all Nebrasketball fans saying Miles is done after the loss at MSU, wondering what Lue did, and if he would comeback home.  Would we have 75% of the fans hoping for Frost, if he wasn't from Nebraska?

It accelerates the process, for sure, but he'd be a legitimate candidate, even if he wasn't a former Husker and Nebraska native. Don't think we'd be moving heaven and earth for him, but he'd be on the list.

2 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

It accelerates the process, for sure, but he'd be a legitimate candidate, even if he wasn't a former Husker and Nebraska native. Don't think we'd be moving heaven and earth for him, but he'd be on the list.

To say the least.  His background and acumen do speak for themselves.  But I appreciate your point.

56 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Serious question.  If I remember right, Moos said he would not make a mid season change.  Does the Florida opening change that if we lose the next one or two?

My opinion, but that's doubtful he'd change his position. On the bright side, most coaches on these target lists are the type who look to stick it out with their team for the remainder of the season. So that wouldn't affect us too much.

2 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Serious question.  If I remember right, Moos said he would not make a mid season change.  Does the Florida opening change that if we lose the next one or two?

Frost isn't going anywhere before Dec. 6 (unless USF upsets them to get to the AAC title game). No need to push the panic button now. Back channel conversations can happen at any time and are likely already underway if Moos is planning to make a move.

So Mike Riley is 19-15 at Nebraska so far. Take out the end of season #1 and beginning of season #2 (10-1 stretch) and he is 9-14 in the rest of his games. Even more telling is that within the 9-14 record is a 6-13 record against P5 teams.

*I included the BYU loss bc i believe the Big Ten counts them when scheduling one P5 opponent for your non-con.

Aside from one hot stretch that overlapped between two seasons, he has a poor coaching record. Im not saying fire him but imo he has to reach 8 wins (including *hopefully* bowl game) for me to have no fits about him returning.

56 minutes ago, khoock said:

So Mike Riley is 19-15 at Nebraska so far. Take out the end of season #1 and beginning of season #2 (10-1 stretch) and he is 9-14 in the rest of his games. Even more telling is that within the 9-14 record is a 6-13 record against P5 teams.

*I included the BYU loss bc i believe the Big Ten counts them when scheduling one P5 opponent for your non-con.

Aside from one hot stretch that overlapped between two seasons, he has a poor coaching record. Im not saying fire him but imo he has to reach 8 wins (including *hopefully* bowl game) for me to have no fits about him returning.

...Sounds like Tim Miles record...

tenor.gif

41 minutes ago, brfrad said:

That game put the nail in the coffin.  Terrible coaching effort!!!  7 point lead with 8 minutes left and the ball at the 20 of Northwestern.   3 points if you run the ball 3 times, which you did a decent job.  Nope, we put it up, get beat up the middle, QB gets killed and ball game.

42 minutes ago, brfrad said:

That game put the nail in the coffin.  Terrible coaching effort!!!  7 point lead with 8 minutes left and the ball at the 20 of Northwestern.   3 points if you run the ball 3 times, which you did a decent job.  Nope, we put it up, get beat up the middle, QB gets killed and ball game.

Coach became very one dimensional last half of the season.

I think that maybe the AD needs to say that will finish the year as the head coach, but that he will not be retained at the end of the year.

This allows us to really show that our job is open, allows the other coaches to start looking now.  But mostly it allows the kids the answer that they need to hear.

I feel that there isn't anybody on the staff that could be the intrum head coach right now.  And I also think that Riley is a stand up enough guy that he would still coach the kids as hard as they can.

I would think the not really knowing has to be worse on the players and coaches than saying it is over.

But that is just me, and I am old school where even when coaches were fired in the old days they finished out the year.