OT: Omaha Metro Youth Basketball

big red22

Hey guys I debated on even asking this here, but I am struggling trying to find the right amount of basketball for my 9 year old son

1.  We have an adjustable in the ground hoop in our driveway

2.  We have 2 courts in our neighborhood park

3.  I sent him to some UNO Camps

So what I am looking for is something other than ridiculously priced basketball option for my son who absolutely loves it, but my wife and I don't want to spend $1100 for OSA or $800 for school of hoops

Can someone let me know where I can get my son some extra playing time with gids around his age

I'm not really sure what all options you have in Omaha but I don't think you need to spend hundreds of dollars for a 9 year old to play ball. YMCA might offer a cheaper way for your son to get some games in but the simple fundamentals can be worked on at the park or driveway if you have some time to work with him. There is plenty of time to get involved in club or AAU ball down the line. The main thing at his age is to make sure he is having fun learning the game.

One thing, whether he plays a lot or a little now....is to help him develop good form as he is learning to shoot, dribble, etc.

Coaching kids in High school, if they have bad habits, it is very tough to correct 8 years of bad shooting form, it can be done, but it definitely puts them behind.

If your kid loves to play, basketball is still the one sport that PICKup games are played all the time...definitely not the same as a game played with the whistle, but if he has good mechanics and continues to work on them whenever he plays, he will be fine when he joins a select team later on.

Man, I have so many thoughts on this issue.... I feel your pain man. Tough spot to be in as a parent who wants the best for their kid. 

Unfortunately, with the way youth sports are developing, you almost have to make the decision as a parent for your elementary kid whether or not they have potential to be a college basketball player or (at minimum) at least a varsity high school player. Because why would ever pay thousands of dollars over the span of 10-15 years on a sport if you don't think it will have major career/college impact on them. 

I would suggest playing a ton with your son, showing him how to organize pick-up games, and getting him into as many low-cost/free YMCA leagues as you can. If he seems to have a lot of potential, skill, and athletic ability... maybe you get him into a select system for late middle school.

The other option is to have him earn the money for the basketball program....If you figure the cost is $1000...tell him, you will pay X amount 50% as an example, if he really wants to do it...but he needs to earn money to pay for the program (starting a lawn raking business, etc, spend his birthday money, etc)

2 things will come from this...if he takes the initiative to earn the money and pay for it...he probably will get more out of it than if you just paid the bill...he will also learn the value of money and he will decide if it is worth it to him.

You will also find out if he really wants to do it.

Thanks for some advice.  I play with my son at least 3 times a week, but I want him to learn the game of basketball.  I have a hard time teaching that in my driveway!  He has the fundamentals down, meaning he can pass, shoot and dribble.  Not saying he couldn't get better at that stuff, but I'm not as worried about that aspect at the moment.  

What I am looking for is someplace that will teach him about spacing, and court vision.  He is 9, so his shot is not perfect but looks decent when he is set.  He is the tallest kid on his team, and he plays point guard and post.  He is the best ball handler on the team, but being 4'11 at 9 years old I know that is not going to be his position in the future.  I just want him around other good players to start knowing the sport itself, and know it is a team sport.

I try to drill it in him that Blocks, Rebounds, Assists and Steals are just as important as scoring points.  

I brought him to an open gym at Burke and they split the kids up in groups of 3.  They paired him up with a boy who had a cast on one arm and a 1st grade girl.  So it was basically him verse 3, and I was just extremely upset about it because it does not help him with the game of basketball when stuff like that happens.  He would pass it to them and they would lose it, or they would just chuck it up.  So for the most part he dribbled around by himself a shot it.  He scored every one of their baskets, and it taught him how to be a ball hog.  

So the big thing here is I want him to learn the game of basketball and where to be at on the court.  He used to play for OSA inhouse, now he just plays for his school team.  He is not getting the game of basketball taught to him, he just continues to go over stuff I can do with him in my driveway.

Sorry guys I'm just stuck right now on what would be best for him.  I may look into TNE/Express, but I really want no politics involved.  Meaning I know this kids parents, so he gets to play on "this team" kind of stuff.  

Edited by big red22

7 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Does your son go to a catholic school or go to CCD at one? CYO/PAL is a cheaper option than a select team. Some high schools have youth programs as well (I helped coach in the Jr. Mustangs program for Millard North last year). 

Yeah he goes to a catholic school.  He did the CYO/PAL last year, and he is doing the fall OSA Conqueror league with the high school team this year I believe.  I'm looking for a team that has a "Basketball Coach" and not a dad that volunteers without having to fork over a mortgage payment.