OT: Eclipse Plans

41 minutes ago, 49r said:

I think you might have a problem seeing the eclipse on Tuesday...

And you definitely won't see the spectacular total eclipse in Omaha.  You have to come at least as far as Lincoln, and further south, preferably.

If you're in Omaha, you'll see the sun partially obscured by the moon, but you won't see the world go dark for any period of time like you would if you were just slightly further south and west.

8 hours ago, basketballjones said:

No idea.

But can someone please photoshop a picture of a Mitsubishi Eclipse driving in front of the sun? 

6 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Or even better... make the sun look like an image of a Mitsubishi Eclipse driving across the sky.  A true "solar eclipse."

This is what you both wanted, right?

Close enough...

solar_eclipse.png

4 hours ago, cipsucks said:

For any member of the huskerhoopscentral family, a free beer is yours from now till closing August 21st  if you come to Conlee's.   Maybe a bag of jerky, too......

Well since Cip is offering this, I will pony up a glass of wine to any huskerhoopscentral family member who comes to Serenity Valley Winery for the eclipse.

1 hour ago, colhusker said:

Well since Cip is offering this, I will pony up a glass of wine to any huskerhoopscentral family member who comes to Serenity Valley Winery for the eclipse.

You are going to be open on Monday afternoon?

I am taking my granddaughter from Omaha to St Louis U over the weekend and driving back Monday with my wife. Are you in totality and how far (minutes) are you off the interstate?

You just might have to give away 2 glasses of wine!

8 hours ago, trickey said:

You are going to be open on Monday afternoon?

I am taking my granddaughter from Omaha to St Louis U over the weekend and driving back Monday with my wife. Are you in totality and how far (minutes) are you off the interstate?

You just might have to give away 2 glasses of wine!

Not my winery just work there (okay help).  They are going to be open Monday, I will be there and we will get 2-1/2 minutes or so of totality!  Winery is south of the Millersburg exit (Exit 137).  Take Route J 5 miles into Millersburg, take a left at the T go about 1/2 mile and turn south when Route J does for 1 mile.  Turn right winery is right there.  I will wear Nebraska gear that day.  Trying to turn the place into a Nebraska watch site :) What kind of wine do you like?

11 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Except you quoted it, so it became twice in a lifetime.

And then Auroran did too, so it actually became three times in a lifetime.

Just saying

...and I looked directly at it all three times.  Does that mean I'm blind now?

3 hours ago, colhusker said:

Not my winery just work there (okay help).  They are going to be open Monday, I will be there and we will get 2-1/2 minutes or so of totality!  Winery is south of the Millersburg exit (Exit 137).  Take Route J 5 miles into Millersburg, take a left at the T go about 1/2 mile and turn south when Route J does for 1 mile.  Turn right winery is right there.  I will wear Nebraska gear that day.  Trying to turn the place into a Nebraska watch site :) What kind of wine do you like?

There's actually a place in Missouri/Illinois that's in the path of totality for this eclipse that will also be in the path of totality again in 7 years when another eclipse crosses from Mexico, up through Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois, etc., and finishing in Canada.  So, if you do happen to miss this one ...

Edited by Norm Peterson

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

There's actually a place in Missouri in the path of totality for this eclipse that will be in the path of totality again in 7 years when another eclipse crosses from Mexico, up through Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois, etc., and finishing in Canada.  So, if you do happen to miss this one ...

Carbondale Ill gets it both times.

One of the big things about this one is that, from what I've read, it will be the largest population of people ever to be in the line of totality. 

But I think the next one is likely to have even more people. 

Some of the cities within the Zone of Totality next time around:  San Antonio, Austin, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Evansville, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Toledo, Buffalo, Rochester, Montreal ...

And that one's going to have a much longer duration of totality.

19 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

One of the big things about this one is that, from what I've read, it will be the largest population of people ever to be in the line of totality. 

But I think the next one is likely to have even more people. 

Some of the cities within the Zone of Totality next time around:  San Antonio, Austin, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Evansville, Indianapolis, Cleveland, Toledo, Buffalo, Rochester, Montreal ...

And that one's going to have a much longer duration of totality.

There's a lot of mid-sized towns on this one, though, and it goes coast to coast the long way. The next one it goes a much shorter path across the country.