Brady Heiman is 'N'

1 minute ago, trickey said:

For all those in Aurora:

See the above post and apology.  Sue me twice. .

Sorry, didn't see all of the posts on the thread, trickey. Just givin' ya a hard time (the winky face is my sarcasm meter)... nothing more than that. And, by the way, I'm a native of Aurora. I did think, man, that's Manute Bol-like thin. ;)

While in no way will I even contemplate the thought of him becoming an NBA lottery pick, Brady is the closest we will come to having a Patton-esque project. Brady is a long body who has shown plenty signs of potential, but also has had flashes of weakness on the defensive end and playing down low. You can't coach his size and athleticism. I'm sure he will spend his redshirt year going back and forth between the weight room and training table, with of course some big man work outs with Coach Mo and Coach Hunter. He's a commitment where the possible reward is too good to pass up. Welcome to Nebrasketball Mr. Heiman! The in state flavor we have all been waiting for. 

14 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I'm going to say it now:  This will come back to bite McDermott in the butt that he effectively passed on this kid by making a 2019 offer contingent on him going to a prep school for a year.  The kid will probably get more out of a redshirt year in Lincoln, to be honest.

McDermott is going to be just fine. Creighton already has a very similar player to Brady with more talent as an incoming freshman and a 4-star 4/5 committed in 2018. That's why they asked Brady to do a year of prep school, to space out their bigs. 

He's a worthwhile gamble for Nebraska with the space they had to work with in that 2018 class and with the current roster construction. It's a good pick-up for Nebraska.

Norm, the Hudl film shows a good range of what he's capable of, but it would be a mistake to assume the highlight guy is the one he consistently is. He's not Frank Kaminsky.

You like his jumper, but he shot 5-20 from 3 last year (and I know that he's not exactly lights out even in practice against no defense). He's also a 50% free-throw shooter, which isn't a great sign as far as future jumpshot development. He has developed a hook shot, but he's pretty streaky with it. Brady has improved significantly on offense over the last two years, but I worry about his touch limiting how efficient he will be overall. That state tournament game against Alliance is the worst I've ever seen him play, which is unfortunate timing, but it's not indicative of his talent. However, I've seen more 4-of-10 types of shooting performances than one would like considering his height and the kinds of shots he's taking.

Defensively, though, Brady is really mobile and has outstanding shot-blocking instincts and fundamentals. The dude averaged almost 8 blocks a game as a sophomore. I don't care how tall you are or what level you play at -- that's impressive. His short wingspan is something to worry about though in terms of his rim protection translating because he's not going to be the only 6'10" kid on the court any more.

He definitely has a lot of work to do on his body. On the one hand, his dad is a pretty sturdy guy so you'd think the potential to add weight is there. But I know they've been trying for years and it just hasn't happened at all. We'll see how much of a difference a Division I strength and conditioning program can make.

One great thing to hear is that he played the best basketball of his life in Wichita and Las Vegas to close out July. That is why Nebraska finally pulled the trigger after going back-and-forth all spring and summer.

As for his attitude, he definitely has a bit of a temper at times but I think saying "he gets T'd up quite a bit" is an overstatement. He's not Rasheed Wallace or DeMarcus Cousins. 

Edited by Jacob Padilla
Addition

The staff has made the decision that we're not going to get anybody better at his position. Hate to say it, but TM's status has to be a drag on recruiting. How can it not be?

With 5 scholarships available (now 3?), it was worth taking a shot on a local big guy. He may not be a 5 star but he's not chopped liver (failed to find a chopped liver gif).

2 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

The staff has made the decision that we're not going to get anybody better at his position. Hate to say it, but TM's status has to be a drag on recruiting. How can it not be?

With 5 scholarships available (now 3?), it was worth taking a shot on a local big guy. He may not be a 5 star but he's not chopped liver (failed to find a chopped liver gif).

I suppose Miles' status might scare off some guys but half the coaches in Div 1 are "on the hot seat"; I don't think most recruits are in tune with the local chatter as much as the rest of us are so I just don't think this is a major deciding factor for a lot of kids. Thomas Allen was a recent high level recruit that shows that some high level guys weigh opportunity and relationships with the current staff/players over status chatter.

I hadn't seen his film until now.  I'm beyond pleasantly surprised.  Just watching his sophomore film, this kid has a ton of mobility and great footwork fundamentals.  He also loves blocking shots, which is a great thing.  Excellent in transition.  I was expecting something totally different.  He looks like the type of kid Wisconsin would offer and then turn into a nightmare as a senior.  

Cool.  

7 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Norm, the Hudl film shows a good range of what he's capable of, but it would be a mistake to assume the highlight guy is the one he consistently is. He's not Frank Kaminsky.

You like his jumper, but he shot 5-20 from 3 last year (and I know that he's not exactly lights out even in practice against no defense). He's also a 50% free-throw shooter, which isn't a great sign as far as future jumpshot development. He has developed a hook shot, but he's pretty streaky with it. Brady has improved significantly on offense over the last two years, but I worry about his touch limiting how efficient he will be overall. That state tournament game against Alliance is the worst I've ever seen him play, which is unfortunate timing, but it's not indicative of his talent. However, I've seen more 4-of-10 types of shooting performances than one would like considering his height and the kinds of shots he's taking.

Defensively, though, Brady is really mobile and has outstanding shot-blocking instincts and fundamentals. The dude averaged almost 8 blocks a game as a sophomore. I don't care how tall you are or what level you play at -- that's impressive. His short wingspan is something to worry about though in terms of his rim protection translating because he's not going to be the only 6'10" kid on the court any more.

He definitely has a lot of work to do on his body. On the one hand, his dad is a pretty sturdy guy so you'd think the potential to add weight is there. But I know they've been trying for years and it just hasn't happened at all. We'll see how much of a difference a Division I strength and conditioning program can make.

One great thing to hear is that he played the best basketball of his life in Wichita and Las Vegas to close out July. That is why Nebraska finally pulled the trigger after going back-and-forth all spring and summer.

As for his attitude, he definitely has a bit of a temper at times but I think saying "he gets T'd up quite a bit" is an overstatement. He's not Rasheed Wallace or DeMarcus Cousins. 

Thanks Jacob.  That's the kind of info I was looking for.

Here is another thought that popped into my cluttered brain...we have been taking a number of high star kids.  The talent seems to run deep.  At this point, with the depth we have, we can take a risk with one of our scholarships,  especially with a Nebraska kid.  History tells us (football team history and/or Drake Beranek) that the smaller town Nebraska kids bring a predictable value to our teams, that value is a mix of work ethic and a strong tie to Husker red.

Brady is a project, but with what I am seeing, this project has much more upside then downside.  Skills can be refined, bodies can be reshaped but heart and work ethic typically is deep set.

The thing is, Kaminsky wasn't Kaminsky until about three years after he graduated from HS.  How did Frank look going into his senior year of HS?  Was he highly recruited?  I do not know the answers, but some kids mature later than others.  I have no clue whether Brady will hit or miss, but obviously two experienced evaluators of talent decided to give him a schollie for one reason or another...I am willing to see it play out. 

9 hours ago, huskercwg said:

The thing is, Kaminsky wasn't Kaminsky until about three years after he graduated from HS.  How did Frank look going into his senior year of HS?  Was he highly recruited?

He ended up being an ESPN 4 star with minimal offers. (Rivals and Scout 3 star)

If I was going to compare him with a Wisconsin center his game sounds more like Ethan Happ than FK. BTW, both of those guys were 230# as freshmen.

Wes Wilkerson, if you want to talk about a guy who was slender and took a few years to find his rhythm, came in at 6'9" 205.  He's still playing overseas.

8 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

If Brady Heiman could be Wes Wilkinson, I'd be rather pleased, and I'd imagine that Nebrasketball would be very happy to have B.H. to be like W.W. as he's a baller.

It took Wes until his junior year to be a major contributor and his senior year to play over 20 minutes a game. 

24 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

For those who may have seen both, how would he compare to Elliot Eliason, who turned out to be pretty good for the Gophers? He was a bit bigger in high school but an example of someone we waited too late on to give an offer. 

That is feeling I get about this kid.  

At worst we have him for a year and if doesn't like it he can go.  And it won't hurt either the player or program.