Brady Heiman is 'N'

1 hour ago, OmahaHusker said:

Oh he's absolutely redshirting....

Per: http://www.omaha.com/neprepzone/recruiting/boys-basketball/platteview-big-man-brady-heiman-doesn-t-shy-away-from/article_40a373d2-7cb6-11e7-82eb-0bea119a29d6.html

“I am definitely open to redshirting and think that an extra year to build size and strength could be beneficial,” Heiman said. “The final decision depends on what my coach and team need at the time.”

So it's good to know the coach and player are likely in alignment.

2 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

That's certainly what would have been said if we had offered the less heralded Mike Daum out of HS.

Heiman isn't a Power 5 center ATM and he might never be.  He might be the next Roy Enright or the next Rich King here or anywhere inbetween

His higher level of play these last few weeks earned him several D-1 offers in addition to NU and CU. We'll see if that level is still there next year in HS.

To me it seems more like a matter of when he will be impactful than if he will be.

I never saw Daum play. I've seen this kid plus what I've heard about attitude still leaves me with I don't get it. 

5 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

I never saw Daum play. I've seen this kid plus what I've heard about attitude still leaves me with I don't get it. 

Just so I understand your perspective, how long ago did you see him?  One game or more than one?  This past season or earlier?

When you look at the hudl video that Hal posted, do you agree it looks like he at least has the skills at that size to play at a Power 5 level?

Just trying to get a sense of what you're basing your thoughts on.

Thanks

All I can say is I have my fingers crossed he can take his game to another level, because at the moment I am not sure he'd play at a Division II school let alone the Big 10.  Not sure if any of you watched the state game where they played Alliance, but Austin Luger  a 6'8 200 player for Alliance made Heiman look like a deer in headlights.

Heiman was 2/13 with 4pts... where his counter part Luger was 10/20 for 23pts

In my personal opinion he isn't even the best player on his Class B team... that honor goes to Nate Thayer.

Edited by big red22

1 hour ago, GATA said:

Interesting. What did you hear about his attitude?

I'm not Dean Smith... but I've heard he has cried in frustration from a coach I know that coached against him.  I can't say that is fact, but my friend that is a coach has no reason to lie about something like that

Edited by big red22

39 minutes ago, big red22 said:

All I can say is I have my fingers crossed he can take his game to another level, because at the moment I am not sure he'd play at a Division II school let alone the Big 10.  Not sure if any of you watched the state game where they played Alliance, but Austin Luger  a 6'8 200 player for Alliance made Heiman look like a deer in headlights.

In my personal opinion he isn't even the best player on his Class B team... that honor goes to Nate Thayer.

Ooof.... certainly a game to forget.  Is the Luger kid playing anywhere?

I was worried that the attitude issue was that he was a kid that didn't care. Sounds like he is the complete opposite of that.  I'd personally rather have a kid who is overly passionate to work with than a kid that is lazy.

all in all, I am pleased that we offered and Brady accepted.

Attitudes are hard to measure.

I can't watch a hudl video and see what kind of attitude a kid has.

I suspect it's also easier for a kid to fix an attitude than, say, a jump shot.  It's called maturation.  Just kinda happens for most of us as a result of social norming.  We like to be liked; we notice when people don't like us; we figure out it's because we're acting like assholes; we stop acting like assholes.

Outside of a bad game against Alliance in the State Tournament, though, this kid looks like he has next level skeelz.  At least from what I've seen.  I'm really curious to hear more from guys like @Dean Smith who have watched full games of his.  Are the highlight videos like Potemkin Villages of this kid's basketball abilities?

4 hours ago, royalfan said:

That can be a good thing.  I want guys that care.  It is a fine line though.   I like this commitment very much btw. 

I'm not trying to be contrary but from my point of view as someone who did coach for awhile, when someone gets T'ed up quite often it doesn't mean they care. It usually means they are selfish and can't put team before self. I don't know about this kid specifically but that's been the general pattern I've seen. 

7 hours ago, OmahaHusker said:

Oh he's absolutely redshirting. I think we should've done what Creighton did and ask him to go to prep school for a year, but I'll take an in-state commit.

If he were a guard I can justify it but not a center prospect.  You didnt see Creighton send Patton to a prep school for a reason.  Big men that need to gain size and practice are better off attending a D1 program asap.  They will get a meal plan designed for them to gain the mass needed, on top of the weight training program.  On top of it the only thing he would do at a prep school playing wise will usually be other undersized big men or guys he is a couple inches taller than.

Theres a reason you hear guys like Thomas Allen coming into a program saying its the first time they did heavy lifts and then would practice this summer and was air balling his shots.  The prep school he went to is one of the best in the country and hes just now doing those things.  As a big man he needs that stuff right now so after his redshirt season he can hopefully have the maturity, strength, and mass to be able to compete even a little bit for us.

4 hours ago, big red22 said:

People probably said the same thing about me in High School.  I was still playing pro baseball though while most of those guys were working 9-5's somewhere.  Just because someone was better in HS it doesnt always mean things won't be different a couple years down the line.  Hes a project with a much higher ceiling than any other kid in the state at this point.

I could try to explain what doubts I have and why but the time for that is over. He has signed for Nebraska and regardless of first impressions, he is a Husker now. That means I am rooting for him to be successful for himself and to further the program. End of my contribution to this thread. Good luck to Brady and of course, Go Big Red.

12 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

The no-step vertical is good.  The wingspan isn't.  For comparison purposes, Jordy's wingspan is 89 inches.

His height is 82.5 inches.  You'd like his wingspan to be at least a little more than his height.

I'm a little concerned that trickey wrote that Heiman is 107 lbs, tbh. ;)

43 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

What I sort of like is that he acknowledges and appears receptive to redshirting.  I do not believe we will see this young man on the floor for two years.  Then, Jordy will be a senior and he can ease into playing time.

That's completely reasonable. Imagine how much a kid can grow and develop from 17 to 19. That's HUGE.

3 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

I could try to explain what doubts I have and why but the time for that is over. He has signed for Nebraska and regardless of first impressions, he is a Husker now. That means I am rooting for him to be successful for himself and to further the program. End of my contribution to this thread. Good luck to Brady and of course, Go Big Red.

Fair enough, Dean.  I can respect that.  I went back and quick reviewed the first page of the Heiman recruiting thread.  I think you explained there what it was I was interested in understanding.

FWIW, it was because of your reservations that I was initially skeptical of this offer.  But after looking at the hudl video posted by Hal, I really changed my mind.  I've posted a link to a different hudl video below.  It's 12 minutes of highlights from various games throughout last season.  A number of things stand out.  

1.  For a guy his size, he's really fast from one end of the floor to the other.  Look how many times he gets out ahead on the break.  In one highlight, he steals a pass deep in the post and dribbles the full length of the floor for a dunk, which shows 1) he's pretty fast and 2) he can dribble under control while sprinting.  That's a pretty good ball handling job for an 11th grader who's almost 7 feet tall.

2.  This kid can shoot the ball.  Sure, this is a collection of makes.  They didn't show the misses.  But it's impressive that he has a green light to take threes and made more than one in multiple games.  You have to guard him out there.  Even if this shows every three he made last season, it's more than Michael Jacobson made.

3.  He got a bunch of steals by anticipating and stepping into passing lanes.  And most of the time, it was a footrace to the other end for a dunk.

4.  He has a variety of ways to score inside.  He's hitting lefty hooks, he's hitting righty hooks.  He's using his body to create space.  He's getting to the far side of the rim to bank in a layup.  He's got a drop step.  He's able to spin left.  He's able to spin right.

I think this kid has a bag full of tools and he's decently athletic.  Get him in college, get him in the weight room and on a nutrition plan, and let him develop for a couple of years.  I see a lot of Frank Kaminsky in him.  Not saying he'll be that good, but he shows that kind of versatility, which, for a 6'11" junior in high school, is pretty good.  I say he's worthy of the offer.

http://www.hudl.com/v/26cHRL