Thorir Thorbjarnarson is N!

bkamler

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

The author's name is Bryan Mauro.  I have no idea who he is or what his background is, but he's written articles for that site that deal with every major conference in the country.  His latest effort is "Pac-12 Basketball: Who is the top recruit for every team?"

I seriously doubt he's a member of this board and I'm not sure what you saw that made you conclude he's a Husker fan.  Not saying he's not but I didn't see anything suggesting that.

I follow him on twitter...he's a good follow as most of his post are sports related.  He is a bit of a Husker basketball homer....not saying that there is anything wrong with that.  Considering he retweets and tweets @HuskerHoopsCentral quite a bit I would guess he is an active member of this board.   

https://twitter.com/threecolorbeard

1 hour ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I follow him on twitter...he's a good follow as most of his post are sports related.  He is a bit of a Husker basketball homer....not saying that there is anything wrong with that.  Considering he retweets and tweets @HuskerHoopsCentral quite a bit I would guess he is an active member of this board.   

https://twitter.com/threecolorbeard

TBH I don't know if he visits the board but I'd agree with your overall assessment here. Fairly good follow, is a Husker Hoops fan, seems to be a big fan of sports in general. I'll ask him.

I'd say Iceland as a recruiting hotspot is probably as overblown as Iceland as a financial hotbed (if anyone remembers that).  Mentioning Iceland's NBA prospect might have helped the argument

He's spot on about the level of play there...I don't believe Iceland even has high school basketball.  Thorir playing for a national team should help but I know I've got real concerns about how he'll handle the level of play here.  Personally I'm expecting more of a Bakari Evelyn or Nate Hawkins type impact this year (not much) and we'll see where we go from there.

On 8/30/2017 at 9:53 AM, Norm Peterson said:

Some of these writers are trying to fill space without doing a lot of work. 

Tai Webster was Tim Miles' first basketball recruit at Nebraska?  Really?  You mean, other than Terran Petteway, Walter Pitchford, Sergej Vucetic, Deverell Biggs, Nick Fuller and Nathan Hawkins?  (And you can probably add Shavon Shields and Benny Parker to the list.)

Thor had a disappointing shooting performance at the Euro U20 tournament he just played at, but that's a small sample size.  I read somewhere on this site that he shot like 38% from 3-point range on the season his most recent season in Iceland.  And, when you look at the kid's film, he's got a decent looking shot.  It's a Jack McVeigh style, not a lot of jump in it, but very compact stroke with a simple, quick, load and fire.

He's going to need to learn to spin in the lane for layups.  Some of the video shows him trying to dribble behind his back in the lane where most U.S. players would have done a spin move into a layup.  Behind the back dribble in the lane might work in Iceland, but he'll get his pocket picked here if he does that.

Nevertheless, the guy really pushes the tempo in the open floor, gets out on the break, gets himself in position to receive passes and just seems to have an intuitive sense of where the gaps in the defense are.  If he'd been an exchange student in Nebraska for his senior year of HS, I suspect he would have been one of the top players in the state and a D1 recruiting target with a lot more attention.

Jonathan Givony told me he improved to 38% from 3 in his last season, but that's not a particularly large sample size. If people think he's coming in as a sharp-shooter, they might be disappointed. He's improving there but it's not the strongest part of his game.

On 8/30/2017 at 11:35 AM, hhcdimes said:

Found the video from the U20 European championshipsHere are his stats from that tourney. Brutal shooting for that tourney.

Thorir is playing here against a German team with Mo Wagner

I'm really not trying to be a downer, but his 3pt % is really bad!  I would like NU to get a "Shooting Guard"  that can shoot damnit!

1 hour ago, big red22 said:

I'm really not trying to be a downer, but his 3pt % is really bad!  I would like NU to get a "Shooting Guard"  that can shoot damnit!

Yes, his 3pt% in that Euro tourney was pretty bad.  Andrew White's 3pt% was also pretty bad when we took our Spain trip a couple of years ago.

Similar number of games over a similar span of time involving a similarly longer 3pt distance.  Hmmm.

I'm not drawing any conclusions until I actually see the kid play.  He's put up other stats that would indicate he's a good 3pt shooter.

I suspect he's better than his shooting in that Euro tourney would reflect, and maybe not quite as good as his numbers from last season in Iceland.

If Thor was a dead-eye long distance bomber, I could see him score some minutes.  But with the way the video portrays him, he needs to build his body and his overall game.  Perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised, but I am now expecting to see him play less than five minutes a game during year one.

11 hours ago, khoock said:

Anybody heard anything how hes performing in practice? What kind of role he might play?

Personally im not expecting much out of Thor his first year.

Needs to get more physical and more consistent, especially on his jumpshot is what a little birdie told me. Also said there are flashes of what he'll bring in the future. Just needs his time to develop and adjust to the college game. Wouldn't expect much from him. 

Would love to see Thor become our little Icelandic Ginoboli, but that'll take a little time. The kid has great court vision, can slash to the tin pretty well, and just needs to find some consistency on his jumper. Wouldn't be surprised if the kid redshirts, but that may be for the better. Definitely not a bad asset to have around for things such as scout team this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk