Sign in to follow this  
AuroranHusker

Countdown to College Basketball

We were so much better than our final record last year.  

The team that went into Indiana and Maryland and won those games on the road was not the same team that lost at home to Michigan by 36.

They just got demoralized and stopped functioning as a cohesive unit.  

If they can just avoid some of those demoralizing kinds of losses -- the letdown game against Gardner-Webb and that horrific home loss to Ohio State -- I think this team will seem like a totally different ball club at the end of next season than the one that finished this past season.

5 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

We were so much better than our final record last year.  

The team that went into Indiana and Maryland and won those games on the road was not the same team that lost at home to Michigan by 36.

They just got demoralized and stopped functioning as a cohesive unit.  

If they can just avoid some of those demoralizing kinds of losses -- the letdown game against Gardner-Webb and that horrific home loss to Ohio State -- I think this team will seem like a totally different ball club at the end of next season than the one that finished this past season.

...which goes back to another post that you, among others, have made about the importance of getting Copeland playing as soon as possible. The momentum we can get from him can propel us into a better position later on in the season. Just remember how many threads we had on "with Morrow playing" versus "without Morrow playing" stats. One player isn't make or break, but it does change the identity of a team (for better or worse).

I agree.  It'd be far better having Copeland all season long.  And not just for the reasons that most everyone else mentions.  It's not just about having his added talent, length, athleticism, scoring ability, etc.  It's also that the team is going to get into a flow as the season goes along.  They'll hit stride and get used to their roles within less than the first ten games.  And then you add another major element right in the midst of that, and it could have a tendency to disrupt the flow and focus, etc.

So, yes. it would be far preferable to have Copeland all season long.  And if we do, hallelujah.  If we don't, I think we still have to play those games and we better be ready to get after it.  And I think we will.