Countdown to College Basketball

We were so much better than our final record last year.  

The team that went into Indiana and Maryland and won those games on the road was not the same team that lost at home to Michigan by 36.

They just got demoralized and stopped functioning as a cohesive unit.  

If they can just avoid some of those demoralizing kinds of losses -- the letdown game against Gardner-Webb and that horrific home loss to Ohio State -- I think this team will seem like a totally different ball club at the end of next season than the one that finished this past season.

5 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

We were so much better than our final record last year.  

The team that went into Indiana and Maryland and won those games on the road was not the same team that lost at home to Michigan by 36.

They just got demoralized and stopped functioning as a cohesive unit.  

If they can just avoid some of those demoralizing kinds of losses -- the letdown game against Gardner-Webb and that horrific home loss to Ohio State -- I think this team will seem like a totally different ball club at the end of next season than the one that finished this past season.

...which goes back to another post that you, among others, have made about the importance of getting Copeland playing as soon as possible. The momentum we can get from him can propel us into a better position later on in the season. Just remember how many threads we had on "with Morrow playing" versus "without Morrow playing" stats. One player isn't make or break, but it does change the identity of a team (for better or worse).

I agree.  It'd be far better having Copeland all season long.  And not just for the reasons that most everyone else mentions.  It's not just about having his added talent, length, athleticism, scoring ability, etc.  It's also that the team is going to get into a flow as the season goes along.  They'll hit stride and get used to their roles within less than the first ten games.  And then you add another major element right in the midst of that, and it could have a tendency to disrupt the flow and focus, etc.

So, yes. it would be far preferable to have Copeland all season long.  And if we do, hallelujah.  If we don't, I think we still have to play those games and we better be ready to get after it.  And I think we will.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

79 Days to B1G Basketball: Big Ten Reportedly Preparing for 20 Game Conference Schedule

The Big Ten might be increasing their conference schedule from 18 to 20 games.

by Bryan Steedman@crazytoledo 

https://www.btpowerhouse.com/2017/8/23/16187790/79-days-big-ten-basketball-preparing-20-game-conference-schedule-2018-2019

On 8/3/2017 at 9:01 PM, Chuck Taylor said:

No. 99 in the top 144 countdown, 12th in the BIG:

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/14987

They had us 103 preseason last year.

If Roby does not start I will be shocked... in a pick up game I take Roby 10 times out of 10 over Taylor...  I know they play different positions, but

Watson

Palmer

Roby

Copeland

Jordy

or 

Watson

Taylor

Roby

Copeland

Jordy

Looks a lot better than

Watson

Taylor

Palmer

Copeland

Jordy

I guess I see Taylor as a role player, and I see Roby as an all around star type player

12 hours ago, big red22 said:

If Roby does not start I will be shocked... in a pick up game I take Roby 10 times out of 10 over Taylor...  I know they play different positions, but

Watson

Palmer

Roby

Copeland

Jordy

or 

Watson

Taylor

Roby

Copeland

Jordy

Looks a lot better than

Watson

Taylor

Palmer

Copeland

Jordy

I guess I see Taylor as a role player, and I see Roby as an all around star type player

That's true in theory, but has Roby become that player yet? He certainly wasn't that guy last year. We've seen that Miles has leaned on veterans early in the season in the recent past.

6 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

That's true in theory, but has Roby become that player yet? He certainly wasn't that guy last year. We've seen that Miles has leaned on veterans early in the season in the recent past.

Insomnia, Jacob?  Posting about Roby on our site at 3 a.m. -- even I don't do that.  But, as to your post:

1.  Given that Roby has the 4th most returning minutes of any player on the team, I think he pretty much qualifies as a veteran.

2.  Sure, he hasn't been that player yet.  Maybe he won't be that player this year.  But it's not like big red22 is hoping a senior suddenly becomes a player he's never been.  Isaiah was a true freshman last year.  He'd shown flashes of being that guy or, at the very least, solid starting material.  He also played a lot of last year nursing various injuries and I understand he's healthy now.  So, given the usual jumps that players make between freshmen and sophomore years, I don't think it's far-fetched to think Roby could be the player big red22 describes.

The development of Jack and Zay will go along way in determining how good i feel about the first half of the season (if Copeland has to sit out).

If Roby is a legit Big Ten player and Jack can be a competent back up, or vice versa, then im feeling pretty good. If that turns out the same plus we get lucky and Copeland is eligible for game 1 even better.

3 hours ago, huskercwg said:

I add this question that certainly relates to many other questions that exist, and if this has already been asked and answered, I apologize.  Simply put, how can we not be better this coming year?

I'm with you. Last year saw the worst home loss (Michigan) and (if I remember correctly) the most losses (19) in a single season in program history. Statistically, we were ranked in the 300s for three-point shooting (both offense and defense).

I may not be overly optimistic for this season, but I'm definitely excited because how could we possibly be worse?!

17 minutes ago, dustystehl said:

I'm with you. Last year saw the worst home loss (Michigan) and (if I remember correctly) the most losses (19) in a single season in program history. Statistically, we were ranked in the 300s for three-point shooting (both offense and defense).

I may not be overly optimistic for this season, but I'm definitely excited because how could we possibly be worse?!

That is true, Nebraska has never lost 20 or more games.