Huskers in the Pros Thread

hhcmatt

I really thought TP was quite the dichotomy. Felt he was the reason we were so good Miles's 2nd year - and conversely - a large reason we had such a bad year the next (not the only by any means). 

But, for the life of me, I cannot figure out why he can't get a true NBA shot. I really think he's a perfect NBA guy, and that there's been many more less talented guys who get shots than TP. Over an 82 game season - with a 48min long game - I think TP would be an incredible second wave line-up guy. 

23 minutes ago, basketballjones said:

I really thought TP was quite the dichotomy. Felt he was the reason we were so good Miles's 2nd year - and conversely - a large reason we had such a bad year the next (not the only by any means). 

But, for the life of me, I cannot figure out why he can't get a true NBA shot. I really think he's a perfect NBA guy, and that there's been many more less talented guys who get shots than TP. Over an 82 game season - with a 48min long game - I think TP would be an incredible second wave line-up guy. 

I know he was with Boston over the summer, didn't he play summer ball last year with someone (I want to say Hawks).  Powers to be must see something they don't like when it comes to him.  

2 hours ago, colhusker said:

I know he was with Boston over the summer, didn't he play summer ball last year with someone (I want to say Hawks).  Powers to be must see something they don't like when it comes to him.  

Maybe. Who knows.

I think if I was a good team with a good, core philosophy - he'd be a fantastic player to mold.

If I was a bad team - I'd take a chance on him because he has all the tools and intangibles to try to be the man - and it'd at least be entertaining to watch lol.

Two things NBA teams don't see: (1) an elite defender (2) an elite shooter. He's 24 years old, so his upside is limited and the talent pool for wings is much larger than for PGs or bigs.

Could he make an NBA roster? Sure, a lot of guys could in the right situation. Bruce Bowen didn't make it to the NBA till he was 25 or so, but he played for a coach who saw the things he could do. Creighton's Tolliver has made a good living too, and he's not an elite player by any stretch. Terran needs to learn to do something that makes him a valuable piece, because he won't make it on his overall talent. And I'm sure he knows that.

14 hours ago, basketballjones said:

Maybe. Who knows.

I think if I was a good team with a good, core philosophy - he'd be a fantastic player to mold.

If I was a bad team - I'd take a chance on him because he has all the tools and intangibles to try to be the man - and it'd at least be entertaining to watch lol.

Not saying he doesn't fit the NBA mold, I really don't know.  I am guessing he can travel, palm, double dribble with the best of them.  He clearly could beat his guy off the dribble at the college level and had the mentality he could shut you down.  

On 8/2/2017 at 6:51 AM, Chuck Taylor said:

Two things NBA teams don't see: (1) an elite defender (2) an elite shooter. He's 24 years old, so his upside is limited and the talent pool for wings is much larger than for PGs or bigs.

Could he make an NBA roster? Sure, a lot of guys could in the right situation. Bruce Bowen didn't make it to the NBA till he was 25 or so, but he played for a coach who saw the things he could do. Creighton's Tolliver has made a good living too, and he's not an elite player by any stretch. Terran needs to learn to do something that makes him a valuable piece, because he won't make it on his overall talent. And I'm sure he knows that.

Yeah, he's not good enough to be what he was at Nebraska in the NBA, and his other skills besides being a primary scorer aren't NBA-caliber. He was a good college scorer, but even in college he wasn't all that efficient. He's not a knock-down shooter, a great rebounder or much of a playmaker. If scoring is all you can do, and you're not elite at that, it's going to be tough to make the league. 

On 8/1/2017 at 3:49 PM, AuroranHusker said:

Prior to the Celtics stint in the NBA summer league this year, Petteway also has played for the Milwaukee Bucks (2016) and for the Atlanta Hawks (2015) in summer league action.

Shavon Shields played for the Orlando Magic in the 2016 summer league. This year SS was with the Miami Heat.

I believe Shields re-signed with his club overseas and didn't end up playing with the Heat.

15 minutes ago, Jacob Padilla said:

I believe Shields re-signed with his club overseas and didn't end up playing with the Heat.

Okay. This is what I had read online:

Three former Huskers will play in the NBA Summer Leagues this month. Tai Webster, Shavon Shields and Terran Petteway have all signed contracts with NBA teams for summer league play.

Webster will play for Charlotte in the Orlando league and with Golden State in the Las Vegas league.  Petteway will play for Boston in both the Utah and Las Vegas leagues, while Shields will play for Miami in Vegas.

• 6 months later...