My Head Hurts...

Cant really blame the writers. They write what ppl want to read. The truth is there are alot of Husker football fans whose bball allegience is either: n/a (they dont like bball), with Creighton, or some random blue blood.

Writing a ton of articles on a team that a lot of ppl dont care about isnt a good business model for an industry that is already dying.

And its not their job to change perception or  increase popularity, that responsibility falls on administration, coaches, and players.

6 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

What drives me nuts is when the OWH will write about apathy for the basketball program. I would hope they realize they control a lot of that. I wonder what it would be like if they wrote the same number of articles and stories and player profiles and so on for the basketball team as the football team.

What would it be like? They'd sell fewer papers/have fewer clicks. 

If not, they'd probably already be doing it. 

5 hours ago, atskooc said:

What would it be like? They'd sell fewer papers/have fewer clicks. 

If not, they'd probably already be doing it. 

Just look at the comments section of the articles. You can't base clicks purely on that, but it's pretty clear that football drives a whole lot more conversation than most basketball articles do.

Hey, look, a basketball article:

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/finding-guard-help-at-the-forefront-of-tim-miles-recruiting/article_3fe9ff64-779e-11e7-a8dd-3753efeac184.html

- Miles needs a "big guard" in the Class of 2018

- Miles is going after 6'3" guard Eric Hunter

- Eric Hunter (****) has Nebraska, Xavier, Ohio State, Butler, Purdue, and Minnesota on the short list

- Eric Hunter is a state champ with 25.3 points and 7.2 rebounds

- Kyler Edwards 6'4", Keysharn Embery 6'3", AJ Green 6'3"

- Nate Roberts 6'8" power forward (at the school Copeland and Allen attended)

- Kamaka Hepa 6'9"

- Copeland (back surgery) and Gill (knee surgery) are on schedule

- Gill's injury goes into Aug/Sept

- Copeland has participated fully in some workouts

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

Hey, look, a basketball article:

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/finding-guard-help-at-the-forefront-of-tim-miles-recruiting/article_3fe9ff64-779e-11e7-a8dd-3753efeac184.html

- Miles needs a "big guard" in the Class of 2018

- Miles is going after 6'3" guard Eric Hunter

- Eric Hunter (****) has Nebraska, Xavier, Ohio State, Butler, Purdue, and Minnesota on the short list

- Eric Hunter is a state champ with 25.3 points and 7.2 rebounds

- Kyler Edwards 6'4", Keysharn Embery 6'3", AJ Green 6'3"

Robin Washut on TBL said we just offered Ron Harper, Jr.  First major to do so.  IDK if it's been discussed on the super secret forum.  Didn't see a thread with his name on it.....

8 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I have a feeling about Kamaka Hepa.  I think he's going to be real damn good.  Are we even still in the running with him?  I think we got in early but some big dogs came in later and now he's pretty heavily pursued.

At some point one of these guys will say yes to us instead!

On 7/31/2017 at 3:54 PM, jason2486 said:

I agree that we don't get as much coverage as I'd like to see. Almost everyday, there are practice reports for football. I'd at least like to see something similar for bball.

The basketball program would have to invite the media to practice like the football one does for that to happen.

Football has media availability three times a week during fall camp with one of them being open. Last year, basketball had one practice open to the media that I was invited to at the beginning of the season and that was it. Everything else was pre- or post-practice availability, and they don't seem to be doing even that right now. I apparently did not receive the same invitation to practice that Lee did.

What we write about stems from what we're given access to and what news breaks. There's been no basketball news and we haven't been give access to the players or coaches. 

On 8/1/2017 at 8:10 AM, Red Don said:

I'm sure you are right; Journalists may be asking, but just because they aren't getting anything to report does not mean they can't write about it regularly.  That would do two things: 1) reassure us they are 'on-the-job' and 2) let the basketball folks know that 'Hey, we're Starving out here!'  (How's that, Silver?  ;))

How are we supposed to write about something if there's nothing to report? You'd seriously feel better reading every week that there's no change? When something happens, it will get written about. Until then, nothing has changed, and I really don't see the value of writing "nothing has changed" over and over again.

2 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

How are we supposed to write about something if there's nothing to report? You'd seriously feel better reading every week that there's no change? When something happens, it will get written about. Until then, nothing has changed, and I really don't see the value of writing "nothing has changed" over and over again.

I can see a footnote added to every piece Jacob writes from now until something happens:

"* And for those who are interested, there have been no new developments, news, leaks, or other miscellany relating to Nebraska basketball since the last time we told you there was nothing new."

Jacob, feel free to use that, no charge.

9 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

I'm just curious. Has anything changed since yesterday? Just asking for a friend.

42 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

I'm just curious. Has anything changed since yesterday? Just asking for a friend.

Can I ask about the last 38 minutes? :)  

We will get news soon!  What did I see 100 days is all?  Until then this is the best I could find!

Edited by colhusker