Rank the league's top 5 PGs

Presumptive starting PGs at Big Ten schools with current class and last year's stats:

Illinois -- Te'Jon Lucas, So., 20.7 min, 4.8 ppg, 3.1 apg,, .592 FT%, .375 3pt%

Indiana -- Josh Newkirk, Sr., 28.1 min, 9.0 ppg, 3.2 apg, .698 FT%, .380 3pt%

Iowa -- Jordan Bohannon, So., 29.6 min, 10.9 ppg, 5.1 apg, .855 FT%, .416 3pt%

Maryland -- Anthony Cowan, So., 29.0 min, 10.3 ppg, 3.7 apg, .769 FT%, .321 3pt%

Michigan -- Jaaron Simmons, Sr., 36.0 min, 15.9 ppg, 6.5 apg, .725 FT%, .346 3pt%*

Michigan St -- Cassius Winston, So., 20.7 min, 6.7 ppg, 5.2 apg, .775 FT%, .380 3pt%

Minnesota -- Nate Mason, Sr., 34.5 min, 15.2 ppg, 5.0 apg, .808 FT%, .360 3pt%

Nebraska -- Glynn Watson, Jr., 31.6 min, 13.0 ppg, 2.6 apg, .810 FT%, .397 3pt%

Northwestern -- Bryant McIntosh, Sr., 34.2 min, 14.8 ppg, 5.2 apg, .870 FT%, .307 3pt%

Ohio State -- CJ Jackson, Jr., 19.1 min, 5.6 ppg, 2.9 apg, .673 FT%, .321 3pt%

Penn State -- Tony Carr, So., 32.8 min, 13.2 ppg, 4.2 apg, .771 FT%, .320 3pt%

Purdue -- Dakota Mathias, Sr., 31.8 min, 9.7 ppg, 3.8 apg, .821 FT%, .453 3pt%

Rutgers -- Corey Sanders, Jr., 30.4 min, 12.8 ppg, 3.2 apg, .613 FT%, .266 3pt%

Wisconsin -- D'Mitrik Trice, So., 18.3 min, 5.6 ppg, 1.7 apg, .789 FT%, .418 3pt%

* Grad transfer; stats last year at Ohio U.

Pick and rank your top 5.

6 minutes ago, Fastbreaker said:

just looking quickly:

Bohannon, Iowa

Simmons, Michigan

McIntosh, Northwestern

Mason, Minnesota

Watson, Nebraska

Watsons assist numbers are bad.  That's why he isn't higher.  I know Nebraska can't shoot

and that affects the numbers, but still pretty bad.  The worst of the starting point guards.

With better shooters on the team, I expect Watson's assist numbers to go up by at least 1 per game, making his assists competitive with other PGs in the league.

25 minutes ago, nustudent said:

McIntosh, Watson, Mason, Carr, Bohannon

TBD:  Simmons

Mathias isn't a point.

I debated on this one.  PJ Thompson's scoring is not quite as high; he has a lot fewer assists; his shooting percentages are pretty comparable to Mathias's.  I made a command decision that the guy with the ball in his hand most of the time would be considered the point guard, and that guy appears to be Mathias.  In the end, I figured it probably didn't matter a lot because, either way, I don't think Purdue has a top 5 point guard.

By the way, my list is pretty much the same as yours, although you could shuffle some guys around.  I think Watson is a top 5 PG but I'm not sure on him being in the top 2.  I think Mason and McIntosh get the top 2 spots in my list.

Edited by Norm Peterson

7 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Presumptive starting PGs at Big Ten schools with current class and last year's stats:

Illinois -- Te'Jon Lucas, So., 20.7 min, 4.8 ppg, 3.1 apg,, .592 FT%, .375 3pt%

Indiana -- Josh Newkirk, Sr., 28.1 min, 9.0 ppg, 3.2 apg, .698 FT%, .380 3pt%

Iowa -- Jordan Bohannon, So., 29.6 min, 10.9 ppg, 5.1 apg, .855 FT%, .416 3pt%

Maryland -- Anthony Cowan, So., 29.0 min, 10.3 ppg, 3.7 apg, .769 FT%, .321 3pt%

Michigan -- Jaaron Simmons, Sr., 36.0 min, 15.9 ppg, 6.5 apg, .725 FT%, .346 3pt%*

Michigan St -- Cassius Winston, So., 20.7 min, 6.7 ppg, 5.2 apg, .775 FT%, .380 3pt%

Minnesota -- Nate Mason, Sr., 34.5 min, 15.2 ppg, 5.0 apg, .808 FT%, .360 3pt%

Nebraska -- Glynn Watson, Jr., 31.6 min, 13.0 ppg, 2.6 apg, .810 FT%, .397 3pt%

Northwestern -- Bryant McIntosh, Sr., 34.2 min, 14.8 ppg, 5.2 apg, .870 FT%, .307 3pt%

Ohio State -- CJ Jackson, Jr., 19.1 min, 5.6 ppg, 2.9 apg, .673 FT%, .321 3pt%

Penn State -- Tony Carr, So., 32.8 min, 13.2 ppg, 4.2 apg, .771 FT%, .320 3pt%

Purdue -- Dakota Mathias, Sr., 31.8 min, 9.7 ppg, 3.8 apg, .821 FT%, .453 3pt%

Rutgers -- Corey Sanders, Jr., 30.4 min, 12.8 ppg, 3.2 apg, .613 FT%, .266 3pt%

Wisconsin -- D'Mitrik Trice, So., 18.3 min, 5.6 ppg, 1.7 apg, .789 FT%, .418 3pt%

* Grad transfer; stats last year at Ohio U.

Pick and rank your top 5.

1. Mason

2. McIntosh

3. Bohannon

4. Winston

5. Watson

1 hour ago, jimmykc said:

Sadly, McIntosh is the only one other than Glynn who I remember. Probably because I am still using my baseball avatar. And it appears that Moonlight may last until autumn this year.

Almost got to be Moonlight last weekend as a buddy rented field of dreams and we were going to go up and play baseball, then it rained.

Back on topic

McIntosh - kid has worn us slick

Mason

Sanders

Watson

the rest

This was an interesting discussion for me. 

I'm going to assume there was some pro-Nebraska bias in the results (which I will also assume in my own response, since I put Glynn comfortably in the top 5.)

I will also assume that the six rising sophomores who are presumptive starters for their respective teams will probably see the most across-the-board increases in productivity.

Those rising sophomores (freshmen last year, obviously) didn't get a lot of love from this board except for Bohannon at Iowa and Carr at Penn State.  This leaves out players from teams that are typically at or near the top of the conference, including Michigan State, Wisconsin and Maryland.

I guess the thing that made me curious in looking at this is that this appears to be a very strong point guard league this year.  I think it will be difficult for teams to separate themselves from or gain ground on the competition at that particular spot.

So ... how do we compare at the other positions on the floor?

Do we have any top 5 players at any other position?

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

This was an interesting discussion for me. 

I'm going to assume there was some pro-Nebraska bias in the results (which I will also assume in my own response, since I put Glynn comfortably in the top 5.)

I will also assume that the six rising sophomores who are presumptive starters for their respective teams will probably see the most across-the-board increases in productivity.

Those rising sophomores (freshmen last year, obviously) didn't get a lot of love from this board except for Bohannon at Iowa and Carr at Penn State.  This leaves out players from teams that are typically at or near the top of the conference, including Michigan State, Wisconsin and Maryland.

I guess the thing that made me curious in looking at this is that this appears to be a very strong point guard league this year.  I think it will be difficult for teams to separate themselves from or gain ground on the competition at that particular spot.

So ... how do we compare at the other positions on the floor?

Do we have any top 5 players at any other position?

IMO, potentially Jordy as a true 5.   But not every team operates with a true 5.   I think a healthy, fully eligible Copeland could be at the 4.

33 minutes ago, khoock said:

Idk about top 5. But i think all of my predicted starters could fall into the 6-8 range at their respective positions.

I hope you're right, but I don't personally know how I could make a claim like that given how little we truly know about guys like James Palmer, and where guys like Isaiah Roby are even going to play.  Maybe the 3, maybe the 4.  Depends on Copeland's status to some extent.  

I would not have put Jacobson in the top half of the conference at the 4 or the 5 last year; Morrow either.

Last year, we had a top 5 back court.  Maybe even a top 3 back court.  What we didn't have was anyone in the top half at SF or top half in the front court.  So, we were really good in a couple of spots but not much to put around them.  On top of that, we had a young and inexperienced bench.  I think those situations will be better this year, but I think it's anyone's guess as to how much.

6 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I hope you're right, but I don't personally know how I could make a claim like that given how little we truly know about guys like James Palmer, and where guys like Isaiah Roby are even going to play.  Maybe the 3, maybe the 4.  Depends on Copeland's status to some extent.  

I would not have put Jacobson in the top half of the conference at the 4 or the 5 last year; Morrow either.

Last year, we had a top 5 back court.  Maybe even a top 3 back court.  What we didn't have was anyone in the top half at SF or top half in the front court.  So, we were really good in a couple of spots but not much to put around them.  On top of that, we had a young and inexperienced bench.  I think those situations will be better this year, but I think it's anyone's guess as to how much.

I would hope that Isaac Copeland will be a candidate for top 3 at PF. Jordy's likely a top 3 C by the end of the season.

Im definetly just projecting by what ive heard from sources/on this board and Miles track record with developing talent.

Just to refresh my projected starting 5:

-Watson

-Palmer

-Roby

-Copeland

-Jordy

Tho i dont know how many of them would be top 5 (aside from Glynn) i could see the rest of them falling in the 6-8 rank range for their respective position.

Just numerically speaking, if we're being picked to finish 12th, then it's not possible for so many of our players to be ranked so high in the BIG. I haven't seen anybody on the board pick us to finish as high as 6th, which (numerically speaking) would mean we have players that are as high as 6th in the league.

I realize having a POY could change the equation, as would having a super-duper Xs and Os coach. But just as a numbers thing, the talent evaluation on this thread seems a little optimistic. Palmer had trouble getting on the floor at Miami, for example, but now he's in the top half of the BIG?