Rank the league's top 5 PGs

7 hours ago, khoock said:

Im definetly just projecting by what ive heard from sources/on this board and Miles track record with developing talent.

Just to refresh my projected starting 5:

-Watson

-Palmer

-Roby

-Copeland

-Jordy

Tho i dont know how many of them would be top 5 (aside from Glynn) i could see the rest of them falling in the 6-8 rank range for their respective position.

Roby and Jordy would need decent bumps from last year to even sniff top 10 in their positions in a 14 team league. While it's possible,  getting anywhere close to top 5 would be a phenomenal leap from last year.  

I hope that big leap is there because to me the development of those two particular players will dictate how are season goes

59 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Roby and Jordy would need decent bumps from last year to even sniff top 10 in their positions in a 14 team league. While it's possible,  getting anywhere close to top 5 would be a phenomenal leap from last year.  

I hope that big leap is there because to me the development of those two particular players will dictate how are season goes

So going off of my season projections (Jordy 10pts/8reb/2blk and Roby 7pts/6reb/2asst/1stl/1blk) do you think those stats are good enough to land 8th or higher at their respective position?

2 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

The good news is that it seems entirely possible for both players.

4 hours ago, khoock said:

So going off of my season projections (Jordy 10pts/8reb/2blk and Roby 7pts/6reb/2asst/1stl/1blk) do you think those stats are good enough to land 8th or higher at their respective position?

That's essentially Morrow and MJ numbers. Did those guys seem like top 8 last year?

2016-17 B1G PFs

Ill:  Leron Black (So), 20.2 min, 8.1 ppg, 6.3 bpg

IU: OG Anunoby (So), 25.1, 11.1, 5.4

Iowa:  Cordell Pemsl (Fr), 19.3, 8.9, 5.0

MD: Justin Jackson (Fr), 27.8, 10.5, 6.0

Mich: DJ Wilson (RSo), 30.4, 11.0, 5.3

MSU: Nick Ward (Fr), 19.8, 13.9, 6.5

Min: Jordan Murphy (So), 27.5, 11.3, 8.8

Neb: Michael Jacobson (So), 24.0, 6.0, 6.2

NW: Vic Law (So), 32.1, 12.3, 5.8

OSU: Marc Loving (Sr), 33.9,  12.3, 4.7

PSU: Lamar Stevens (Fr), 27.8, 12.7, 5.5

Pur: Caleb Swanigan (So), 32.5, 18.5, 12.5

Rut: Deshawn Freeman (Jr), 27.0, 11.1, 7.8

Wis: Nigel Hayes (Sr), 32.4, 14.0, 6.6

I don't think 7 and 6 would put Isaiah Roby in the top 8.  It would edge him slightly ahead of Michael Jacobson for 14th place out of 15.  In terms of filling the stat sheet, MJ was clearly in the bottom two starting P Fs in the conference last year.  Don't know what 10 and 8 would do for Jordy for centers.  Maybe top half.  I didn't have time to go through those number.  But 7 and 6 wouldn't put Isaiah anywhere near top 8 P Fs in the league.

52 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

2016-17 B1G PFs

I don't think 7 and 6 would put Isaiah Roby in the top 8.  It would edge him slightly ahead of Michael Jacobson for 14th place out of 15.  In terms of filling the stat sheet, MJ was clearly in the bottom two starting P Fs in the conference last year.  Don't know what 10 and 8 would do for Jordy for centers.  Maybe top half.  I didn't have time to go through those number.  But 7 and 6 wouldn't put Isaiah anywhere near top 8 P Fs in the league.

THANK YOU.  I don't know what more needs to be said about Jacobson leaving having, if any effect at all, a positive one on the team.  He just isn't that good.  I loved how hard he played, but he wasn't very good.

Still pissed it wasn't Morrow/Roby at the 4, Jordy/Jacobson at the 5 all season.  Oh well.

Excited to have some talent at that 4 spot this year.  It's an incredibly important position in the college and pro game these days.  

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

2016-17 B1G PFs

Dont forget the rest of th stats though. If Roby is able to fill pts, rebs, assts, stls, and blks with 1+ that is a remarkable achievement that i dont think any other PFs would he able to achieve. Definetly deserving of a Top 8 ranking imo.

Also, i have Roby at SF not PF.

8 hours ago, khoock said:

Dont forget the rest of th stats though. If Roby is able to fill pts, rebs, assts, stls, and blks with 1+ that is a remarkable achievement that i dont think any other PFs would he able to achieve. Definetly deserving of a Top 8 ranking imo.

Also, i have Roby at SF not PF.

He'd probably need to be 12+ ppg scoring to be among the top 8 small forwards in the league.  That's a position where a lot of clubs have guys who can fill up stat sheets.

9 hours ago, LK1 said:

THANK YOU.  I don't know what more needs to be said about Jacobson leaving having, if any effect at all, a positive one on the team.  He just isn't that good.  I loved how hard he played, but he wasn't very good.

Still pissed it wasn't Morrow/Roby at the 4, Jordy/Jacobson at the 5 all season.  Oh well.

Excited to have some talent at that 4 spot this year.  It's an incredibly important position in the college and pro game these days.  

Sorry to dredge this up again, but I can't stand the bagging on guys who leave. One minute they're great, then they're awful. Yeah, MJ averaged 6 and 6. But he was a sophomore, so maybe his numbers improve too? Iowa State is a much better program than us and they took him, even though "he just isn't that good." THANK YOU.

On Saturday, August 12, 2017 at 7:54 AM, Chuck Taylor said:

Just numerically speaking, if we're being picked to finish 12th, then it's not possible for so many of our players to be ranked so high in the BIG. I haven't seen anybody on the board pick us to finish as high as 6th, which (numerically speaking) would mean we have players that are as high as 6th in the league.

I realize having a POY could change the equation, as would having a super-duper Xs and Os coach. But just as a numbers thing, the talent evaluation on this thread seems a little optimistic. Palmer had trouble getting on the floor at Miami, for example, but now he's in the top half of the BIG? 

Peteway rarely saw the court for TT.  After sitting out a year, he made the All Big 10 first team.

41 minutes ago, brfrad said:

Peteway rarely saw the court for TT.  After sitting out a year, he made the All Big 10 first team.

TP left after freshman year with a coaching change. Palmer had 2 years at Miami and apparently didn't see any increased playing time or he wouldn't have left . We've had good luck with both TP and AWIII in similar situations, but I don't think it's a formula that allows you to project somebody in the top 6-8 players in the BIG at a position with a ton of talent on other rosters. I don't have Norm's wherewithal to chart out all of the other teams' guys at that spot, but you could see how it translated with Roby. The guys with the best chance of being in the top level this year are Glynn (obviously) and Copeland. I expect to see good improvement from others, but I'm just not as optimistic that any of them will be in the top half of the BIG this year.

2 hours ago, Chuck Taylor said:

Sorry to dredge this up again, but I can't stand the bagging on guys who leave. One minute they're great, then they're awful. Yeah, MJ averaged 6 and 6. But he was a sophomore, so maybe his numbers improve too? Iowa State is a much better program than us and they took him, even though "he just isn't that good." THANK YOU.

A lot of people didn't think he was very good while he was still here.  Just check the game threads.  Some people didn't think he was great but didn't want to bag on a current player and so did subtle things like not projecting him in next year's starting lineup.  But when he left, all bets were off.

I guess I understand comparing JP to TP, but just looking from the outside in, I think there are apparent differences.  TP had the ball the majority of the time, that will likely not happen with JP.  TP was our number one option when the offense broke down, I do not think that is going to be the case with JP.  JP seems to a more powerful player than TP.  TP seems to be quicker. 

I may be totally off base, but I to me JP seems more like Shavon than TP. 

1 hour ago, huskercwg said:

I guess I understand comparing JP to TP, but just looking from the outside in, I think there are apparent differences.  TP had the ball the majority of the time, that will likely not happen with JP.  TP was our number one option when the offense broke down, I do not think that is going to be the case with JP.  JP seems to a more powerful player than TP.  TP seems to be quicker. 

I may be totally off base, but I to me JP seems more like Shavon than TP. 

Interesting. I have no inside info nor am i great evaluating players specific skills. Ive just heard Palmer has a Terran Petteway-esque skill set.

45 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

last year miles said Gill would have a petteway like impact on the team... so i'm going to take a wait and see approach. 

Gill was extremely rusty. Remember he missed a significant amount of the offseason with an injury. And when he was finally starting to show flashes of turning the corner he got hurt again.

1 hour ago, khoock said:

Gill was extremely rusty. Remember he missed a significant amount of the offseason with an injury. And when he was finally starting to show flashes of turning the corner he got hurt again.

He had two good games all season, and the second one (his last game) was against Southern. The game before that, he was 1-7 for 2 points against Gardner-Webb. Against Kansas, he had 7 points on 2-6 FG. 4 points on 2-3 FG but 2 TO vs. Creighton. 0-6 againt South Dakota.

What were these flashes he was showing?

On 8/13/2017 at 8:59 AM, Chuck Taylor said:

They can have him.  Morrow, on the other hand, was an actual impact player that we will miss no matter who we have on our roster.  It's important not to lump the two together.  If you actually read what I wrote, I said that I loved how hard Jacobson played--he's a high character kid with great work ethic.  I wasn't bagging on him.  I was saying thank you to Norm who posted statistical data that showed exactly how ineffective he was compared to others at his position across the league.  6pts and 6rebs isn't very good for a PF getting 25minutes a game.  It doesn't matter what year they are.  

Keep in mind that only three B1G starters on Norm's list were upperclassmen, so I'm largely comparing MJ's production to other sophomores and freshmen.  Facts > feelings.  Sorry.  He's a below average PF in the B1G.  Morrow would've averaged a double double at the PF spot.  

8 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

He had two good games all season, and the second one (his last game) was against Southern. The game before that, he was 1-7 for 2 points against Gardner-Webb. Against Kansas, he had 7 points on 2-6 FG. 4 points on 2-3 FG but 2 TO vs. Creighton. 0-6 againt South Dakota.

What were these flashes he was showing?

He was shooting 38% from the floor in the last 4 games before he got hurt, that included Creighton and Kansas. So it looked like that was starting to come around. He'd shown some of the explosiveness we'd heard about, too. He never put together a great game, but he had spurts within those last four where it looked like he was getting close to full speed again.