Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hskr4life

Most Undervalued, Biggest Impact

Most Undervalued Player Who Makes Biggest Impact  

79 members have voted

  1. 1. Which undervalued player will have the most impact this season?

    • Gill
      14
    • Taylor
      20
    • McVeigh
      25
    • Okeke
      20


Recommended Posts

I'm surprised this one's even close.  Okeke seems like the obvious choice for a variety of reasons.  He's a proven rebounder, and comes in the year after we lose two of our top three rebounders via transfer.  He's almost guaranteed to get 15+ MPG based on positional need, whereas the other players all have serious competition just to be in the rotation.  And the dude is an absolute eraser of shots in the paint.  His floor for expected contribution seems to be right around where I would place the ceiling for Gill and McVeigh (15 MPG, combined points/assists/rebounds/blocks/steals of 10-12 per game).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I'm surprised this one's even close.  Okeke seems like the obvious choice for a variety of reasons.  He's a proven rebounder, and comes in the year after we lose two of our top three rebounders via transfer.  He's almost guaranteed to get 15+ MPG based on positional need, whereas the other players all have serious competition just to be in the rotation.  And the dude is an absolute eraser of shots in the paint.  His floor for expected contribution seems to be right around where I would place the ceiling for Gill and McVeigh (15 MPG, combined points/assists/rebounds/blocks/steals of 10-12 per game).

But does that make him most likely to help or most undervalued?  I think we all value what is potentially offers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, colhusker said:

But does that make him most likely to help or most undervalued?  I think we all value what is potentially offers.

 

The question wasn't asking who's the most undervalued.  It was asking which of the "undervalued" players will have the biggest impact.  And that seems like nearly a no-brainer.  Jack would need to either become one of the nation's most productive 3pt specialists or develop some other skill to reach Okeke's expected overall contribution.  Gill was one of our least productive players last year even before suffering a debilitating injury.  You could make an argument for Taylor, but he's going to have to scratch and claw for minutes while Okeke's will essentially be handed to him based on need alone (again...who else can rebound for us?).  Among the choices given, I'm just having a hard time understanding how 2/3 of voters picked McVeigh and Gill.  For that to happen, either Okeke would have to be a major bust, or McVeigh would have to show one of the biggest leaps in skill/production I've seen in one year, or Gill would have to be twice as good on a reconstructed knee as he was prior to his injury.  Not saying I want to toss the other three guys off the team or anything, but Okeke will almost certainly be the most productive guy in this group.

Edited by aphilso1
I can't spell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have them all performing as the following:

-Jack McVeigh 19 min 7pts 3reb

-Duby Okeke 12 min 2pts 4reb 1blk

-Evan Taylor 9 min 3pts 2reb 1asst

-Anton Gill 0+ min 2pts 1reb

 

So i voted Jack.

Edited by khoock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, khoock said:

I have them all performing as the following:

-Jack McVeigh 19 min 7pts 3reb

-Thomas Allen 17 min 5pts 2reb 1asst

-Duby Okeke 12 min 2pts 4reb 1blk

-Nana Akenten 11 min 4pts 2reb

 

So i voted Jack.

 

Thomas Allen wasn't listed. That 2nd option would be Evan Taylor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, khoock said:

Thanks for pointing that out. I just realized Nana wasnt listed either and im missing Gill.

 

It will be interesting to find out what Gill has left in the tank with his injury recovery during his senior year. And how fellow senior ET fits in the mix in regards to minutes with all he youngsters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, khoock said:

Thanks for pointing that out. I just realized Nana wasnt listed either and im missing Gill.

 

I left the Freshman off of this for a few reasons.  One of which is that these are 4 players who I have seen mentioned at some point or another as either...

 

A: Getting mop up minutes

B:  Not being good enough

or

C: Not being talented enough.

 

I don't think any of the Freshman fall into those catergories at the present.  MAYBE Nana.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll define IMPACT as

 

(ORTG/2) + USAGE from http://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Nebraska&year=2017

ORTG = (points produced per 100 possessions)

USAGE = (estimate of teams plays used while on the court)

 

Last year's IMPACT rankings

 

Tai Webster    78.35
Glynn Watson Jr.    75
Ed Morrow    72.8
Jordy Tshimanga    70.2
Jack McVeigh    69
Jeriah Horne    67.2
Michael Jacobson    66.3
Evan Taylor    58.85
Isaiah Roby    57.7
Anton Gill    56.4
 

In this ranking that doesn't consider minutes played, Jordy is ranked higher and Evan is ranked lower than if you would consider being on the court more to be impactful.

 

Someone remember to bump this at the end of the year and I'll post the results

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, more or less, that appears to mainly consider offensive stats.

 

Seems kind of hard to determine a player's impact without indicating some reference to defensive abilities. Like, for instance, deflections.

 

Just curious if there would be a way to include possible defensive metrics to indicate IMPACT with any particular rating system...

 

Edited by AuroranHusker
*clarity*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, AuroranHusker said:

So, more or less, that appears to mainly consider offensive stats.

 

Seems kind of hard to determine a player's impact without indicating some reference to defensive abilities. Like, for instance, deflections.

 

Just curious if there would be a way to include possible defensive metrics to indicate IMPACT with any particular rating system...

 

 

Usage is everything from rebounds to turnovers to made or missed baskets. 

Deflections? I don't know of any readily available list of stats that has something like that.

 

Here is just straight usage rate

Tai Webster    28
Jordy Tshimanga    26.5
Ed Morrow    22.8
Glynn Watson Jr.    20.8
Jeriah Horne    19.8
Isaiah Roby    16.1
Michael Jacobson    16
Anton Gill    15.5
Jack McVeigh    15.2
Evan Taylor    13.5
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

 

Usage is everything from rebounds to turnovers to made or missed baskets. 

Deflections? I don't know of any readily available list of stats that has something like that.

 

Here is just straight usage rate

Tai Webster    28
Jordy Tshimanga    26.5
Ed Morrow    22.8
Glynn Watson Jr.    20.8
Jeriah Horne    19.8
Isaiah Roby    16.1
Michael Jacobson    16
Anton Gill    15.5
Jack McVeigh    15.2
Evan Taylor    13.5
 

 

Coaches have that type of info. I think defense is much more difficult to pinpoint for the fan metrics but its also very important to consider. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LK1 said:

I think Taylor will set the tone for toughness this year.  It's not a stat that will show up, but it'll make a difference.  If he can shoot threes, bonus.  

 

I've been a big fan of what ET could be at NU, even before he arrived in Lincoln. I foresee a fierce leader reminiscent of Charles Richardson's uncanny leadership for NU. Helped NU win some games that were not the types of games that NU had won much without C-Rich in the lineup. We'll see how it plays out (as far as minutes et al), I still love that tough competitor inside guys like ET!

 

Edited by AuroranHusker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×