“I think he’s injecting something.” (That’s a joke, folks.)

Mention of Roby, McVeigh, and Copeland on the court at the same time. With Roby and Jack practicing with the guards and with the posts this could mean we're potentially looking at

- small ball lineup with two guards, putting 5 guys on the court that can shoot

- lineup with a traditional post/PG where you have four guys 6'8" and taller you need to handle

My own humble look at star expectation:

5 star - immediate starter, immediate impact

4 star - start as freshman or sophomore, impact as a sophomore

3 star - starter at least by junior year, impact late junior year or senior

2 star - start as a senior more so a role player

One question that's been in the back of my brain: who gets spot minutes at the 5?  Because if either Jordy or Duby get in early foul trouble (or foul out, or get hurt, etc), then we will need someone else to be able to handle the other team's big man.  It seems that Roby may very well have the mentality needed to guard guys bigger than him, and he already has proven that he's a good weakside help shot blocker.  I think Roby is the guy that can slide down to the 5 in spurts as needed.

18 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

One question that's been in the back of my brain: who gets spot minutes at the 5?  Because if either Jordy or Duby get in early foul trouble (or foul out, or get hurt, etc), then we will need someone else to be able to handle the other team's big man.  It seems that Roby may very well have the mentality needed to guard guys bigger than him, and he already has proven that he's a good weakside help shot blocker.  I think Roby is the guy that can slide down to the 5 in spurts as needed.

If it was me, that's when you'd press the heck out of a team.

But Tanner's the 3rd in line at the 5.

13 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I've heard some buzz that Borchardt could be that guy.  If he's gotten himself into a playable shape I think that makes a lot of sense for those times we're matched up against a 250-300# traditional center.

Otherwise, I think Roby makes sense for the small ball center vs Jack or Copeland because Roby is probably more physical and the superior rim defender

I think I'll inject something now, i.e. that Barfy did well to remind us of Roby's stress fracture last year. Not only does playing with pain make development difficult, but returning from injury tends to make one play tentatively.With that considered, perhaps we should all not be so surprised with the "disappointing" freshman performance by Mr. Roby..

28 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

I think I'll inject something now, i.e. that Barfy did well to remind us of Roby's stress fracture last year. Not only does playing with pain make development difficult, but returning from injury tends to make one play tentatively.With that considered, perhaps we should all not be so surprised with the "disappointing" freshman performance by Mr. Roby..

You don't have to look back much further than Ed Morrow's physicality between year one coming off that leg injury where he would finish shooting layups and year two where he was dunking everything to be able to imagine how much more aggressive Roby will be this year vs last year.

11 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

i'm pretty sure most people were expecting him to score more than 3 points though. he was a 4 star recruit that was joining a roster that just lost 35 points in scoring from white/shields.

This is true...coming in the expectations were pretty lofty for him.  Still are.  The good news is he displayed his talent multiple games but had a clear confidence issue which is not abnormal for a freshman.  I expect the game will slow down for him this year and he won't be thinking as much on the court.  I expect a big leap out of him.   

21 minutes ago, Handy Johnson said:

I hope he's spending as much time working on his " J " as he is in the weight room... we really need this kid to be a player.

I agree, Handy, and I'm pretty sure he is.  You have to have a couple of those guys who can just flat out score.  You don't have to have 5 guys who can flat out score, but you'd like to have at least a couple on the floor at all times.  If you can match two guys who can get to the rim or pull up from mid-range (defense would be hard pressed to take away both -- if they cut off the drive, probably won't be in position to stop the mid-range pull-up j) like Shields and Petteway and match them with a third guy who can hit over 40% from three, you make the NCAA tourney.

This year, it looks like we'll have a couple of shooters who will be credible enough from three that they can't be ignored and left open.  Do we have enough guys who can put the ball on the floor and just flat out get it done?

If so, we should be pretty successful this year.

3 hours ago, basketballjones said:

“We want to be able to play both spots,” Roby said. “If we play me and Jack at the same time or us two with Isaac, somebody is going to get mismatched somewhere. We’ll be able to take advantage of that.”

crazy

That comment is ... shall we say ... cryptic.  :ph34r:

Glad to see Roby is making gains this summer. Will certainly give Nebraska options in lineups especially in who he can guard on defense. Hopefully the added muscle and confidence can mold him into a Draymond Green like defender. (Someone who can guard all 5 positions but minus the groin kicks) 

I just hope he also improves on the offensive side especially in the mid range jumper area and from 3.

The more I think about it the more I think we will see that front line Roby, Copeland, Jack quite a bit. Anytime the other team does not have a big true post scorer we could do it in my opinion. Then you add GW and whoever at the two gives us a lot of scoring and mismatches. Could be a lot of fun to watch.  That is the type of team I hate playing against

2 hours ago, Art Vandalay said:

The more I think about it the more I think we will see that front line Roby, Copeland, Jack quite a bit. Anytime the other team does not have a big true post scorer we could do it in my opinion. Then you add GW and whoever at the two gives us a lot of scoring and mismatches. Could be a lot of fun to watch.  That is the type of team I hate playing against

With Allen at the 2. Let's roll.