Ranking of our current roster

khoock

Thought it would be fun to do a ranking of our roster based on contribution and importance for this upcoming season.

12. 6'3 Sr Anton Gill: He has been plagued with injuries since he arrived, his last one being his worst. Now he has to bounce back and try and grab minutes in a crowded back court with a lot of experience and potential. Im not as optimistic as some are. However, Gill could easily be the biggest mistake of my predictions.

11. 6'8 Jr Tanner Borchardt: There will be games where Tanner is needed to play a few meaningful minutes, but for the most part he will be on mop up duty. He gets the nod over Gill bc I am more confident in the depth at gaurd then i am at center. But lets not forget that he was a D1 football recruit, state champion shot putter, and C-1 All-State in basketball. He's definitely not a scrub when it comes to walkons. Plus being 270+ helps.

10. 6'5 Sr Evan Taylor: Another casualty of the new trio of gaurds (Palmer, Nana, Allen). Taylor provided some big minutes for us last year and solid defense. He's a grinder, but the farther down the depth chart he falls the better that probably spells for us. He doesnt ooze the natural basketball talent that some of the newcomers do.

9. 6'6 Fr Nana Akenten: His three point shooting (50% his sr. year of hs) and athleticism (winner of multiple dunk contests) will give him a shot at playing time. If he can limit defensive mistakes he should find himself in a regular part of the rotation. However, we know freshmen dont tend to have long leashes under Miles.

8. 6'8 Sr Duby Okeke: He gets the nod over Nana mainly bc of postion. Im skeptical of how he will translate into the Big Ten, but if we want to have a successful season we need a QUALITY 12-15 minutes from him. His shot blocking ability and length give me hope. Unfortunately, I lose sleep over his injury history and proneness to fouls.

7. 6'1 Fr Thomas Allen: Deemed as one of the top 5 three point shooters out of high school, he should have a role right away as a shooter and Glynn's back up. If he can hold his own on the defensive end he may have one of the better freshmen campaigns under Miles along with Glynn and Shavon.

6. 6'8 Jr Jack McVeigh: Miles loves his upperclassmen. And we desperately need his stroke from deep. More consistency from 3 and a little bit more strength and Jack will be good to go. He should see plenty of minutes at both forward spots. Hes got the right mentality and enough talent where he will find playing time.

5. 6'6 Jr James Palmer: We weathered the academically ineligible storm. I see Palmer locking down a starting spot (my guess is SG). I see him contributing mainly through scoring. He is a decent threat from deep and can hopefully negate some of Tai's slashing ability that we lost. Expect a solid season from him.

4. 6'8 So Isaiah Roby: Our swiss army knife. I dont expect Roby to be called upon to score too much (still think he will double his output from freshman year) but he will impact the game in many ways. I predict he will average atleast one steal, assist, and block to go along with his scoring and rebounding.

3. 6'9 Jr Isaac Copeland: His health and eligibility are crucial to our team. If we have a sophomore version of him for a full season, our post season chances increase significantly. Im tabbing him as a starter and our second leading scorer.

2. 6'11 So Jordy Tshimanga: His growth is crucial to our success. Not only will he help man our defense but with so little proven depth behind him, he has to be able to increase him minutes by 60+% from last year. Depending on our win total, he is my sleeper for the Big Ten's Most Improved Player.

1. 6'0 So Glynn Watson: This was a no brainer for me. I expect Watson to lead us in scoring, assists, steals, and minutes. The biggest thing I want to see from him is leadership.

Enjoy.

Edited by khoock

Its based off of my perceived contributions and importance to the team. Things like these are fun to do before you know, for the simple fact that nobody knows how the newcomers will be or how the returnees will improve. Waiting until midseason takes away the fun of opinions and guess work.

I like to look back and reflect to see how accurate i was. 

Edited by khoock