Who Starts?

33 minutes ago, khoock said:

Lastly, i have not seen a single soul on this message board who has said Benny Parker was a better basketball player then Glynn Watson...

From an analytics standpoint though Senior level BP was more efficient than Watson. Glynn is obviously the better player but freshman year Glynn didn't convert at any sort of rate that made him superior to BP with the exception of his ability/willingness to take more shots. Watson and Parker both started games for 1/2 the year with Tai coming off the bench.

59 minutes ago, dustystehl said:

Maybe Miles SHOULD start the 4-star freshmen. We want future 4+-stars to want to come to Nebraska. But they won't come here to ride the bench for 2 years.

He has either started or played them all a ton.

If Allen is playing a lot of minutes or isn't starting some games it's because he's not living up to his ranking...not because Miles is unwilling to play freshmen.

1 hour ago, dustystehl said:

Roby was coming off an injury. If he was healthy, would he have started over McVeigh?

Glynn SHOULD have been starting over Benny Parker. (I love Benny, but Glynn is a better D-I basketball player than Benny -- you will never convince me otherwise.)

Ed was also coming off an injury and has since left the program. (Hmm... I wonder why?)

Maybe Miles SHOULD start the 4-star freshmen. We want future 4+-stars to want to come to Nebraska. But they won't come here to ride the bench for 2 years.

If we started everyone who thinks they "Should be starting," we would have 10+ starters each game.  Now I am liking our odds in the W/L column there, but that is not possible.  We see these guys 20-30 times... maybe a little more... a YEAR.  Coaches see them 20-30 times... probably more... a MONTH.  Who starts isn't just based on * or Games.

All I'm saying is that what Miles has been doing -- philosophy, coaching, rotation, etc. -- hasn't been working very well lately. Maybe it's time to take a different approach and change things up.

I'm as excited about the new talent as anybody, but I have very little faith in Miles to get the team/program where we would like it to be. I would just like to see a different approach.

24 minutes ago, dustystehl said:

All I'm saying is that what Miles has been doing -- philosophy, coaching, rotation, etc. -- hasn't been working very well lately. Maybe it's time to take a different approach and change things up.

I'm as excited about the new talent as anybody, but I have very little faith in Miles to get the team/program where we would like it to be. I would just like to see a different approach.

Do you have any idea what you mean by Mile's "coaching" isn't working because I don't? You don't like the way he teaches defensive rotations or the footwork he wants on jump shots? I would think coaching includes philosophy and rotation as well.  Or maybe philosophy includes coaching. What is his philosophy? By not working well lately I take it you mean we had a losing season. What is your definition for the difference between team and program? And if Miles "took a different approach" how would you tell? 

12 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

Do you have any idea what you mean by Mile's "coaching" isn't working because I don't? You don't like the way he teaches defensive rotations or the footwork he wants on jump shots? I would think coaching includes philosophy and rotation as well.  Or maybe philosophy includes coaching. What is his philosophy? By not working well lately I take it you mean we had a losing season. What is your definition for the difference between team and program? And if Miles "took a different approach" how would you tell? 

Well, for one, last season they moved the pack line in a bit closer to the rim. Maybe extending it back out a little more is a place to start?

I've long been an advocate for upping the tempo and incorporating more pressure on the ball coming up the court. Shooting the ball better would help there, too.

Not sure if that gets to your notion or not.

Why we continued to play a half-court game (especially with a smaller roster) the past few seasons is beyond me. Would have loved to see us get out and run more. With a lack of consistent shooters, it seems this style would have suited us better. It appeared to be Miles' pure stubbornness that prevented a change in style.

My coworker's limo-driving friend picked up Ed Morrow from the airport while he was going on recruiting trips after his transfer announcement. After striking up a conversation, Ed said that the team wanted to play a full-court game, but Miles was adamantly against it. That's why he transferred.

1 hour ago, Dean Smith said:

I get the sense that some people think "run and gun" versus "half court" offense in basketball is analogous to "drop-back passing" versus "power running game" offense in football.

In football, those things are entirely within the control of the head coach/offensive coordinator as to which style they choose.

In basketball, obviously, it's not quite that simple.  You might want to get out and run and force the tempo but the defense has a lot of control over whether transition opportunities are available.

So, Dean, let me lob a softball for you:  If the opposing team is willing to concede the glass on their offensive end by only keeping one guy in and dropping 4 guys back, is that going to have an impact on transition scoring opportunities for your team?  Can you explain how that might be?

2 hours ago, dustystehl said:

Why we continued to play a half-court game (especially with a smaller roster) the past few seasons is beyond me. Would have loved to see us get out and run more. With a lack of consistent shooters, it seems this style would have suited us better. It appeared to be Miles' pure stubbornness that prevented a change in style.

My coworker's limo-driving friend picked up Ed Morrow from the airport while he was going on recruiting trips after his transfer announcement. After striking up a conversation, Ed said that the team wanted to play a full-court game, but Miles was adamantly against it. That's why he transferred.

It's not stubbornness, you have to coach what you know. TM and Molinari don't extend the defense, and they're not going to suddenly start now.

Perhaps not on a regular basis, but I saw many times where Miles was encouraging the team to up the tempo.  I join others in wishing we would extend the defense, but that is almost impossible to do without having someone back in the paint swatting away the mistakes.  This year we seem to have at least two of those individuals...so maybe, just maybe...

9 hours ago, dustystehl said:

Roby was coming off an injury. If he was healthy, would he have started over McVeigh?

I don't think a healthy freshman Roby comes in and starts over McVeigh.  McVeigh's 5-7 3PT attempts when starting provided court spacing that we desperately needed on offense.  At least until the merits of his range were outweighed by his defensive liability.  I think the only games Roby started were later in the season when Ed went out and we needed some size.

9 hours ago, dustystehl said:

Glynn SHOULD have been starting over Benny Parker.

l am still amazed that Miles started Benny Parker every game his senior season.  Save for that Northwestern game when he was heat-checking from the right elbow, he typically struggled to score the ball.  I know that Miles thought Tai played so much better off the bench, and Glynn's shooting -- especially his 3PT shot -- looked much better at the start of the season.  But still, Benny is the definition of a back-up point guard, and as thin as we were in the backcourt, I really think we should've leaned on Tai and Glynn more.

9 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

He has either started or played them all a ton.

If Allen is playing a lot of minutes or isn't starting some games it's because he's not living up to his ranking...not because Miles is unwilling to play freshmen.

Allen is also a top-150 player, he's not a 5-star, top 25 recruit. 

247 = 90

Rivals = 99

Scout = 108

ESPN = outside top 99

Allen is a great pick-up, but he's not a one-an-done type guy who is going to be more talented than anyone else on the roster form day one. Him not startin doesn't mean he isn't living up to his ranking.

9 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

If they extend the defense, would that help them with a high tempo, push the ball, transition, run and gun type offense?

We'd all love to see a faster tempo, especially if it's sparked by a defense that gets after opponents all over the court. But do they install new presses in the offseason, or do they use their practice time to work with newcomers on what they already run? And who on the staff has experience teaching full-court defense? Not Mo. Lewis wouldn't have picked it up at Butler, nor Hunter at Georgetown. Not like you can't learn, but it's a tall assignment when the staff is facing a win or else season. 

The bigger question is if you have just one year to prove yourself, do you change what you're doing or do you give it one more shot with what you know? If I had to guess, I'd say they stick with what they do and hope the talent upgrade makes a difference.

Another way to look at things is this...most good coaches run a base offense/defense and then look at their talent and adapt their game to that talent.  We have a somewhat eclectic group of players.  They have talent, but some likely fit a more physical/methodical type of offense/defense while others fit more into a high pace offense/defense.  Which of our players fit where?  Can Isaiah/Thomas/Glynn/Copeland play physical?  Can Palmer/Jordy/Jack play up tempo? 

I certainly have my opinion...

8 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Allen is also a top-150 player, he's not a 5-star, top 25 recruit. 

247 = 90

Rivals = 99

Scout = 108

ESPN = outside top 99

Allen is a great pick-up, but he's not a one-an-done type guy who is going to be more talented than anyone else on the roster form day one. Him not startin doesn't mean he isn't living up to his ranking.

I think we're both trying to say the same thing here

21 hours ago, dustystehl said:

(snipped) Maybe Miles SHOULD start the 4-star freshmen. We want future 4+-stars to want to come to Nebraska. But they won't come here to ride the bench for 2 years.

Well, according to this article in the Journal Star today, Nana and Thomas Allen want to EARN playing time this year.

Just to settle the question for everyone, hopefully.

Edited by Norm Peterson

14 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Well, according to this article in the Journal Star today, Nana and Thomas Allen want to EARN playing time this year.

Just to settle the question for everyone, hopefully.

Im hoping the "getting some guys healthy" is just referring to Copeland (back) and Gill's (knee) rehab from surgery.

Based on the LJS article it appears both of our freshmen currently have the heads on straight.  They KNOW they have to earn their time and they both understand the transition of going from HS to Division I, Power V basketball.  I sometimes think the fans (and perhaps rightly so) are more concerned then the players are.