Who Starts?

6 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Not sure about the start of the season, but I definitely have Watson and Allen as our established starting back court at some point.  I think they're going to look a lot like Kansas' guards from last season.  

I really like Allen but like most freshman it's going to take time for him to adjust.  Also, judging off the past...his PT will probably rely on how he's doing on the defensive end.  We have all heard about how great of a shooter he is...but, will he buy into the defense this year?  I hope so...but if not, it's unlikely he's getting the nod over someone like Taylor who Miles trust. 

6 minutes ago, LK1 said:

Not sure about the start of the season, but I definitely have Watson and Allen as our established starting back court at some point.  I think they're going to look a lot like Kansas' guards from last season.  

When we're talking about improving spacing or improving our 3 point shooting, rolling out a couple of 3pt shooting guards like this is really going to help.

On 7/15/2017 at 10:07 AM, basketballjones said:

Just probably trying different lineups and different looks. If Allen/Nana can knock down shots and create space for Glynn that's a really good thing.

Is Glynn our best player for driving to the hoop?  Maybe it works better if those guys are creating space for guys who probably are better finishers than shooters which I think Palmer and Roby will be. (my apologies if I'm shortchanging anyone here)

As you are formulating your starting fives, make sure to at least contemplate defense, passing, rebounding, team play, focus, strength, quickness, toughness and the other elements that make a player a player.  Being able to shoot and/or score is certainly important (especially given some of our most recent deficiencies) but a player needs to be "all around" to get playing time...don't you think?

Edited by huskercwg

The more I think about it, can we really NOT start Allen? He's the first 4-star freshman in program history. What message does it send to future recruits if he doesn't start? Why go to Nebraska and come off the bench when you can go to almost any other Big Ten school and start? I just don't think we recruited him to not start.

So I'll be even more annoyed when Miles doesn't start him...

Edited by dustystehl

38 minutes ago, dustystehl said:

The more I think about it, can we really NOT start Allen? He's the first 4-star freshman in program history. What message does it send to future recruits if he doesn't start? Why go to Nebraska and come off the bench when you can go to almost any other Big Ten school and start? I just don't think we recruited him to not start.

First since Isaiah Roby last year.

1 hour ago, dustystehl said:

He's not the first 4 star freshman. 

14 minutes ago, atskooc said:

No one starts who doesn't know the defense.

This does not bode well for the freshmen. I wouldn't expect one to start for a while into the season.

I'm hoping that our defense looks quite a bit different this year.  The personnel we have now does not necessitate the "pack line" / sagging man-to-man defense scheme.  We have two very adept shot blockers that will discourage dribble-penetration, and some long, quick perimeter defenders that would be better off playing the line where they can deny passes and be in the correct position to contest 3PT shots.

2 hours ago, dustystehl said:

Your memory seems to be a little bit rusty, Dusty.

9 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

Is Glynn our best player for driving to the hoop?  Maybe it works better if those guys are creating space for guys who probably are better finishers than shooters which I think Palmer and Roby will be. (my apologies if I'm shortchanging anyone here)

When your PG and best ball handler can get into the paint it's a good thing.

1 hour ago, atskooc said:

Yup. 

Both defensive guys. Their offensive skills at that point were dreadful. 

I disagree with that assessment.  They both started, especially Benny, out of necessity.

Year 1 saw us with 11 scholarship players. Benny was the only active scholarship PG on the roster for TM's first year as Deverell Biggs decided to redshirt. With Biggs, TP, and WP redshirting, that left 8 guys.  Shavon Shields was injured to start and Surge wasn't actually a Div 1 player leaving 6 guys. BP got the nod over David Rivers because someone needed to bring the ball up the court.  In that game Menke played 16 minutes and Peltz played 11...and it wasn't because we were killing Southern.  Eventually Shields came back, Miles stated playing Talley at point, and BP came off the bench.

Year 2 saw us with more point guard options: Tai, BP, Biggs, and walkon senior Mike Peltz. Biggs took himself out of the running with the DUI arrest and suspension to start the season. The hype surrounding Tai might have led TM to be inclined to start him over BP or Peltz but looking back it's probable that Tai simply earned it by being the superior option at the time.  Tai would end up starting all but two games that season.

When I look at Allen and Nana in the context of this roster I'm not seeing the lack of options nor the obvious talent bump they might provide that will garner them the start day 1.  I fully expect them, especially Allen, to be in the mix for minutes.

Well, I apparently misremembered some rankings, but that was not the focus of my post. I know Miles puts an emphasis on defense, but that hasn't faired us very well. Other than the one month to finish 2013-14, we've been pretty tough to watch (and the record reflects this). I think it's time to change things up. Inject some energy into this program. Thomas Allen is the kind of player who can do that. He's not a typical freshman, either. He just finished playing a season for the best prep school in the country.

My point is, we've maybe never had a player like this. And I want him to stick around.

If the defense doesn't make some significant strides, especially given the personnel on the roster, this could be a LONG and maybe final year for Coach Miles here in Lincoln. To quote former Gopher Football Coach Jerry Kill, "We need to get a fire in our Ass".

Edited by Handy Johnson

20 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

First since Isaiah Roby last year.

Roby was coming off an injury. If he was healthy, would he have started over McVeigh?

20 hours ago, 49r said:

...and Glynn and Ed the year before.  But yeah, other than those guys Allen's the first.

Glynn SHOULD have been starting over Benny Parker. (I love Benny, but Glynn is a better D-I basketball player than Benny -- you will never convince me otherwise.)

Ed was also coming off an injury and has since left the program. (Hmm... I wonder why?)

Maybe Miles SHOULD start the 4-star freshmen. We want future 4+-stars to want to come to Nebraska. But they won't come here to ride the bench for 2 years.

Edited by dustystehl

You dont start kids just to please their ego. If Thomas Allen is the better option over James Palmer, Evan Taylor, Anton Gill, and Nana Akenten then im sure Miles will have no problem starting him.

Thats alot of depth, talent, and experience to overcome but if he truly is better than all of them he will start.