Who Starts?

Since I'm a glass 1/2 full guy, I'm assuming we'll have Copeland from the get go, so here's my guess as to who trots out on the court 11/16 vs. St. John's:

Watson

Palmer

Turner

Tshimanga

Copeland

I think Allen will move Palmer out of the starting line-up by Conference play, & Roby is a wild card. Some will argue for Gill, I get that, but I'm not quite sold on him yet.  

13 minutes ago, khoock said:

G Glynn Watson 6'0 Jr

G James Palmer 6'6 Jr

F Isaiah Roby 6'8 So

F Isaac Copeland 6'9 Jr

C Jordy Tshimanga 6'11 So

I think this is the lineup we all want to see and offers the most upside.   knowing our luck and past it's more than likely though that Taylor or McVeigh is going to take a spot

21 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I was just guessing that MAYBE Handy was talking about Gill when he said Turner and just got confused about Gil's first name.  Because who wouldn't?  I mean, you're only talking about the 2nd best QB in Husker football history.

Pretty sure he means Evan Taylor.  I know I called him Evan Turner for a bit. Also, this doesn't bode well for either Taylor or Turner's chances at starting

5 hours ago, nustudent said:

I think this is the lineup we all want to see and offers the most upside.   knowing our luck and past it's more than likely though that Taylor or McVeigh is going to take a spot

Roby hinted in Barfknect's article today that they might/could go big. I think that lineup is going to happen. Honestly though I see Taylor or McVeigh starting at times. If Copeland can't play out of the gates I'd expect taylor to play guard and then Palmer the 3 spot. 

I believe Glynn is a sure bet as a starter.  I will be shocked if Isaiah doesn't start.  Same with Jordy, but beyond that...and including the three aforementioned players, may the top five please step forward...wait, wait, not all of you can start!!!!

Point being, there will be a load of competition for both starting roles and bench roles.  Great to see!

19 hours ago, khoock said:

G Glynn Watson 6'0 Jr

G James Palmer 6'6 Jr

F Isaiah Roby 6'8 So

F Isaac Copeland 6'9 Jr

If Copeland doesn't get cleared, I wouldn't be shocked by:

G Glynn Watson 6'0" Jr

G Anton Gill 6'3" Sr/Turner Gill 6'5" Sr/Thomas Allen 6'1" Fr

F James Palmer 6'6" Jr

F Isaiah Roby 6'8" So/Jack McVeigh 6'8" Jr

C Jordy Tshimanga 6'11" So

I think Glynn and Jordy are probably locks.  Something tells me it'll be tough to keep Palmer out of the starting lineup.  I base this on what we've heard about his ball handling ability and him being a decently competent shooter.  Plus he has good size/length.

If Anton Gill is healthy and is able to play like the kid we saw at his first scrimmage here, I think he will be tough to keep out of the starting lineup.  If Anton hasn't quite returned to health, then it'll be a battle probably between Turner Gill and Thomas Allen.  If Allen really is "all that and a bag of chips" then he might leapfrog Gill into the starting lineup. 

I think probably the only way Turner Gill keeps his starting job from last year is if he's really worked on and improved his shooting.  He can attack the rim; he's nice and long; but you cannot have your starting shooting guard shooting less than 30% from 3-point range.

Roby and McVeigh bring very different things at the 4 offensively.  I think it'll come down to which one plays better defense and rebounds better.  Edge to Roby, which is why I listed him first.

21 hours ago, khoock said:

G Glynn Watson 6'0 Jr

G James Palmer 6'6 Jr

F Isaiah Roby 6'8 So

F Isaac Copeland 6'9 Jr

I agree with this

I think by conference play Allen may take Palmer's spot.  One thing I know is that they need to make Roby believe he is the man, because if he gets the confidence he needs he is going to be one of the best players ever to put on a Nebraska basketball Jersey.  I see NBA all over this kid!

Edited by big red22

24 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

for Palmer and slide Taylor

Palmer and Taylor are approximately the same size.

Just looking at their offensive output it would seem to me that Palmer is the superior option.  Unless Taylor is a superior defender, I would think that Palmer gets the start over him.

22 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

I was just guessing that MAYBE Handy was talking about Gill when he said Turner and just got confused about Gil's first name.  Because who wouldn't?  I mean, you're only talking about the 2nd best QB in Husker football history.

No I meant Taylor not Turner, damn cough medicine. Turner Gill though was a hell of a short stop and was drafted by the Cleveland Indians. Probably could have played hoops too ala' Dave Winfield.

Edited by Handy Johnson

1 hour ago, Handy Johnson said:

No I meant Taylor not Turner, damn cough medicine. Turner Gill though was a hell of a short stop and was drafted by the Cleveland Indians. Probably could have played hoops too ala' Dave Winfield.

I think he would have been great on the soccer pitch. 

Srsly, tho, I was just havin' some fun with ya.

16 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

This is where I'm at, too. And I might even go just Glynn. No spots are locked in on this squad, or at least they shouldn't be, IMO, in mid July.

With the departures of Ed and Jacobson, nobody is starting at center over Jordy.