NU's All Big Ten Team (so far)

NU's All Big Ten Team (so far)  

82 members have voted

1. 1. NU's All Big Ten Backcourt (pick 3)

• Gallegos, Ray
    • Parker, Benny
    • Petteway, Terran
    • Richardson, Brandon
    • Spencer, Bo
    • Talley, Dylan
    • Taylor, Evan
    • Walker, Caleb
    • Watson, Glynn
    • Webster, Tai
    • White, Andrew
  2. 2. NU's All Big Ten Frontcourt (pick 3)

• Diaz, Jorge Brian
    • Jacobson, Michael
    • McCray, Toney
    • McVeigh, Jack
    • Morrow, Ed
    • Pitchford, Walter
    • Rivers, David
    • Shields, Shavon
    • Smith, Leslee
    • Tshimanga, Jordy
    • Ubel, Brandon

Because NU is now a full-fledged Big Ten member (and because it's the dead season for college sports), thought it might be fun to pick NU's All Big Ten team so far. Pick 3 for the backcourt and 3 for the frontcourt. 

These are the guys who had the most stats/games started/games played during NU's time in the Big Ten - 2011/12 to 2016/17 - but write-in candidates are welcome. 

No real guidelines for voting. For example, you can weigh whether you prefer a guy who finished his career at NU versus someone who had one great season and then abandoned his teammates and transferred late in the summer before his senior year and screwed over the entire program. (Not naming any names here.)

22 minutes ago, throwback said:

No real guidelines for voting. For example, you can weigh whether you prefer a guy who finished his career at NU versus someone who had one great season and then abandoned his teammates and transferred late in the summer before his focused more on the ladies and partying during his senior year and screwed over the entire program. (Not naming any names here.)

Could go this direction too, TBH.

My thoughts...

Guards- Tai, Terran, and Glynn.  With this group, you have play makers, drivers, and a little bit of shooting as well.  I felt that this was a pretty good tag team of three.  You also had some really good defenders, so two way players with this group.

Also considered- Walker (Omitted because I thought the other 3 provided more), and White (Omitted because of defense... and I just have a general dislike for the guy, but mainly for defensive purposes).

Posts- Shavon, Jordy, Brandon.  I feel like this was the best three overall posts.  Jordy was borderline, but he is really the first "true" post that we have had.  He would be a good 6th man for this team of 6.  I also took Shavon for his playmaking ability.  Brandon I feel would have flourished with some other pieces around him, and therefore I took a shot with him.

Also considered- Ed (Omitted because I think the other 3 proved just a little more and a little something different), Pitchford (Would have loved another big who could shoot, but he was just too streaky to provide consistent playmaking)

13 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

Did Diaz, McCray and Ubel play in the Big Ten...perhaps they did, but I thought they all played prior to the switch. 

I think Diaz and McCray played the first year in Big Ten (Doc's last year). Ubel played in the the first two seasons i believe (end of Doc and beginning of Miles)

3 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

The lack of love for JBD is STUNNING- He was the last legit post player we had that could score with his back to the basket. Who could forget that Texas game when we knocked 'em off? Get with it gang & scroll back thru your mental Rolodex...

Agree to a point.  JBD could have been pretty good if he'd bought some Nugenix testosterone supplement from Frank Thomas.  Alas, Frank started advertising that stuff about 7 years too late to help us with JBD. 

And, in fairness, JBD put up some good stats for most of his career. 

Until conference play his only season in the Big Ten, that is.

He only played in 7 Big Ten conf games and averaged a whopping 5.7 points and 3.6 rebounds in Big Ten play.

Probably not good enough to make our all-time Big Ten team.

3 hours ago, khoock said:

Imagine fielding a team of

STARTERS

Glynn Watson

Tai Webster

Terran Petteway

Shavon Shields

Brandon Ubel

BENCH

Ed Morrow

Dylan Talley

Walt Pitchford

Petteway needed Andrew White.  If White hadn't had to sit out as a transfer in Terran's junior year, we could have benched Walt (because his shooting was really off and White rebounded better anyway.)  Having that extra shooter on the floor really opened things up for Terran the year we made the dance.

If you're coming up with our best 5 players to field as a team, I think you have to have White in there, as much as that might rankle some people to hear.  I'm good with a backcourt of Tai and Glynn and Terran.  White and Shavon would be your frontcourt.  If Terran had stuck around one more year, that's what we would have had, too.  So, it's not like we would have had to cherry pick players from nearly different eras in order to put that team on the floor.

2 hours ago, huskercwg said:

Has anyone else noticed, it seems like we have a history of being only a player or two away from having a great team...or at least a very good team.  Dang, one of these years, one of these years!!!

The problem is being two players away is a long ways away when only five play at a time. 

13 hours ago, huskercwg said:

Has anyone else noticed, it seems like we have a history of being only a player or two away from having a great team...or at least a very good team.  Dang, one of these years, one of these years!!!

This year, or even next.  We should** have two full years of a pretty solid team coming up!

10 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

Me for one. I never liked the way he played and the better team you have the less effective he becomes or he destroys the team. 

I can certainly see this.  If you are picking the best "team," then there are only so many shots that can go around for one.  I think I would still go with Terran, but I can certainly see your side as well.  This actually made me second guess my picks for just a second.  

14 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

Me for one. I never liked the way he played and the better team you have the less effective he becomes or he destroys the team. 

Just asking here. but do you think Terrin would have "tried as hard" if we had more and better players?  Did he play his way because of he was, me first, or was it because he felt he had to carry us?

Edited by Silverbacked1

6 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

Just asking here. but do you think Terrin would have "tried as hard" if we had more and better players?  Did he play his way because of he was, me first, or was it because he felt he had to carry us?

Not Dean, but I don't think there's any question that was the type of player Terran was.  I think it took awhile that season for the other players to get used to playing with Terran.  Terran was taking ill-advised shots and just kind of playing his own game early on in the season.  There was no sync to it.  I wish there was a way that you could read all those old threads from back at that time like a book to see what all the comments were like, but I know there were a lot of people who were critical.  Including me.

But, then, the flip side of the coin is that when you have a player who can get his own shots and is able to knock them down whether he's driving and pulling up from mid-range or whether he's taking it all the way to the rack, when you have a guy who can just flat-out score, you eliminate some of those scoring droughts we all complain about.  And he can keep you in some games.  And, if the other players can adjust to him and figure out how to fit in around him, like we did that magical season, you can be pretty successful.

You sure do notice it when you don't have that guy who can reliably hit whatever shot is available.

But that was Terran's game; that wasn't Terran trying to carry a team that lacked any other option.

48 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

It is impossible to know if he would have different here at Nebraska with a better team and to be honest I've not seen him play since he left. So I don't know if he has adjusted his game. I tend to think that was his game and that was the player we needed him to be that year. I admit some of my opinion is purely based on asthetics. I prefer an offense that has a higher number of assists. To me that usually means you are getting easier shots. So I picked Talley over Petteway. I think he could create his own shot when needed and be more willing to fit into a pass first offence. And in case anyone cares I also took Diaz in the front court. I think Jordy has a shot to be that guy ( and hopefully should become that guy) but based on only his one year vs Brian's career I took Diaz. I personally feel if he had healthy  feet it's quite likely he would have ended up with his jersey hanging in our rafters. . 

9 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

It is impossible to know if he would have different here at Nebraska with a better team and to be honest I've not seen him play since he left. So I don't know if he has adjusted his game. I tend to think that was his game and that was the player we needed him to be that year. I admit some of my opinion is purely based on asthetics. I prefer an offense that has a higher number of assists. To me that usually means you are getting easier shots. So I picked Talley over Petteway. I think he could create his own shot when needed and be more willing to fit into a pass first offence. And in case anyone cares I also took Diaz in the front court. I think Jordy has a shot to be that guy ( and hopefully should become that guy) but based on only his one year vs Brian's career I took Diaz. I personally feel if he had healthy  feet it's quite likely he would have ended up with his jersey hanging in our rafters. . 

Dean, I tend to agree with you about assists (not just showing easier shots, but also sharing of the ball and team work.)

But I read something recently and doubt I'll be able to find it, but it talked about assist stats really not having much meaning.  Asked the question whether it really matters who the last guy was who touched the ball before the guy who made the shot.  It made the argument that the guy who is out there on the perimeter knocking down shots is opening things up for his teammates because defenses have to account for him.  So, think for example, Andrew White, who had very few assists but obviously had a big impact on spreading the floor so that Tai and Shavon could drive.

I think the author was touting some other metric, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.  Not a big metrics guy.  #oldschool #justplainold

On 7/6/2017 at 0:01 PM, Handy Johnson said:

The lack of love for JBD is STUNNING- He was the last legit post player we had that could score with his back to the basket. Who could forget that Texas game when we knocked 'em off? Get with it gang & scroll back thru your mental Rolodex...

Thought the same thing.  I took JBD over Ubel, even though Ubel had a much more accomplished career.  My thought was "what 6-man rotation would be the most succesful?"  And to me the answer is:

PG Glynn

SG Tai

SF Terran

PF Shavon

C JBD

6th Man Leslee Smith (I want hustle, aggression, and muscle coming off the bench) 

Plus, enough of those guys can play multiple positions that you can essentially play with any 5 of the 6.