McVeigh Playing in the World University Games

This summer, McVeigh will be playing in the World University Games for Australia (of the 12 player roster). He will be competing in Taipei August 19-29. Australia will be playing against teams like Ukraine, Lithuania, Israel, Russia and Mozambique.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/mcveigh-to-play-for-australia-in-world-university-games/article_ae51bf45-6a7f-58ac-b892-42b17d7ffd7c.html

It turns out that two other Nebraska basketball players competed in the World University Games: Eric Piatkowski (1993) and Dave Hoppen (1985).

Edited by HuskerFever

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/mcveigh-calls-chance-to-play-in-world-university-games-an/article_ae51bf45-6a7f-58ac-b892-42b17d7ffd7c.html

The biggest focus this offseason, McVeigh said, has been working in the weight room. He readily admits the need to improve in that area, and said he's battling Husker sophomore Isaiah Roby in on-the-court workouts.

He's also worked to improve the consistency of his jumper and his ability to get open off screens and create for himself off the dribble. McVeigh said he'll play mostly at the 3 spot in Taipei, so being able to handle the ball at a high level will be crucial.

"I'm a lead-by-example type of guy, so just making sure I'm in the gym the most, getting the most shots up and kind of being that voice (in workouts)," McVeigh said of trying to take on more of a leadership role in the offseason. "Just really helping everyone. We want to do something special, so you really have to set up that leadership because that's a big part of winning."

• 2 months later...

He hasn't been very impactful

August 20: Australia lost to Ukraine 76-80
August 21: Australia defeated Lithuania 84-82
August 23: Australia lost to Israel 72-89

August 24: Australia vs Russia at 2:30pm (11:30 PM Aug 23rd CST) Tonight https://livestream.com/FISU/events/7635164

August 25: Australia vs Mozambique at 12:00pm (9 PM Aug 24th CST)

16 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

He hasn't been very impactful

August 20: Australia lost to Ukraine 76-80
August 21: Australia defeated Lithuania 84-82
August 23: Australia lost to Israel 72-89

August 24: Australia vs Russia at 2:30pm (11:30 PM Aug 23rd CST) Tonight https://livestream.com/FISU/events/7635164

August 25: Australia vs Mozambique at 12:00pm (9 PM Aug 24th CST)

+1 for following up on this

2 hours ago, Jugular said:

Lead the team in scoring with 20! And was only 1-7 on 3's. But killed it on the 2's. Wonder if those were all just layups?

He was active around the rim in the Russia game. His two makes were a burning a (slow) dude to the rim and crashing the boards for a putback.

He seems streaky so it's a good sign to me that he adjusted in a game where his shot wasn't falling.

3 hours ago, Jugular said:

Lead the team in scoring with 20! And was only 1-7 on 3's. But killed it on the 2's. Wonder if those were all just layups?

When Jack was recruited, Miles described him as not just a 180 guy, but more like a 190 guy.

He's been performing like a 150 guy.

I hate seeing 1-7 on 3s from a guy whose primary skill is nailing the long ball.  I was hoping he'd just lost some confidence in his stroke last year in the midst of a tough season -- which would be understandable -- and that he'd get it back -- which would certainly be possible.  But 1-7 doesn't sound like a guy who's regained his form and ready to be a 40%+ shooter from 3 point range.  I'm hoping I'm wrong.  We needed Jack to be that guy last year.  It would clearly be helpful if he could be that guy this year.

Whoa!  Didn't expect to see these final stats for Mr. McVeigh (from huskers.com):

"For the tournament, McVeigh played in all eight games, averaging 9.4 points per game on 59 percent shooting, including 42 percent from 3-point range, along with 2.9 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game. McVeigh finished fourth on the team in both scoring and assists and tied for third in steals while posting a 5.3-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio."

Edited by Swan88