Coach Mac to Ohio State?

Can't say I blame him as he is building something pretty good at CU.  He gets sell out crowds and not much competition from other sports.  And he has a top 25 recruiting class coming in next year.  He seems to be able to recruit very well there.  I'm sure Omaha is celebrating his announcement to stay at CU.

1 hour ago, jason2486 said:

I can't believe he turned it down. I'm thinking he doesn't want to run with the big dogs!

Ooooor he looked over the fence and said, nah, I've worked hard and got a pretty good yard over here, I don't need to rebuild another one. Not like he's making the jump from the Valley to the Big Ten.

1 hour ago, colhusker said:

He and his people played this perfect, watch for a story soon by Dirk, Lee or Sam talking about McDermott's large raise.

I don't cover Creighton. 

He may get a raise, but this wasn't about money. 

He's good for Creighton - including in some ways Altman wasn't -  and Creighton has been remarkably good to him and his family. 

1 hour ago, 49r said:

Question now is where does Ohio State go?  I've heard Buzz Williams' name bandied about in conjunction with Buckeyes.

This confirms my fears about coaching searches this late in the game. They'd be better off letting Matta coach next year or slapping the interim tag on someone. Mike Brown also is a name I saw. 

Good move by Coach Mac.  The grass is not always greener.  He has a good gig at Creighton and it seems to be a very good marriage.  Expectations at OSU would be insane and no matter what you do, you play second fiddle to Urban and his football team.

I can think of 3.5 million reasons why a guy like McDermott would want to take the plunge.  

Also, Columbus ain't Ames.  Like Connie Yori leaving Creighton to go to Nebraska.  She proved repeatedly that you could accomplish at Nebraska things you could only dream about in Omaha.  And so it would be for men's hoops at tOSU.  McDermott would get his foot in the door with every top 25 recruit on the board.  He might land some good classes from time to time at CU, but he's not likely to find sustained access to top tier talent year in and year out in Omaha the way he would if he was at tOSU.

Guys like that have egos to match their paychecks.  Making a deep run in the tourney (while being paid huge bank) has a certain appeal.  Look what Dana Altman did with Oregon.  He would never have gotten there in Omaha and there has to be a part of McDermott that understands he'd consign himself to a career of nothing more than very good teams and never great ones.

4 minutes ago, 49r said:

...all Barry Collier has to do is open the checkbook, it's as simple as that don't you know...

To me Butler is similar to Wisconsin football in that it appears they can just plug in a coach and the culture is already established to be successful.  Not sure if that means they hire from within but I'm sure coach Lewis is kicking himself as he probably would have had a pretty good shot at landing the shot had he stayed at Butler.  Maybe he still does have a good shot?