Coach Mac to Ohio State?

Just now, The Polish Rifle said:

Well that's good authority. Could probably delete rumor from the thread title . CU would be in an awful spot. 

if he takes the job the bluebirds would be. I just seen that if McDermott goes to OSU, possible name for Creighton is Crean.

8 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

possible name for Creighton is Crean.

He was at Marquette so he has experience in that sort of environment. I'd call that Fran just connecting some dots though as opposed to the likely outcome...I suspect Fran will mention Crean for every job that opens up until he's hired.

I really hope this happens.  I've never been a huge believer in Mac; he caught some great early breaks that gave him recruiting momentum, which he (to his credit) parlayed into sustained success at CU.  But I have doubts that he'll do that again, so I think tOSU could very well be looking for another replacement in 3-4 years.  As for creighton, the timing is pretty bad.  Could they be looking at a bunch of recruits asking out of their LOI?  And other than Crean, I'm not sure who is even realistically available this late in the cycle.

TLDR -- this move has the potential to make both programs worse, which makes me downright giddy.  Happy Thursday, everyone!

6 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

I really hope this happens.  I've never been a huge believer in Mac; he caught some great early breaks that gave him recruiting momentum, which he (to his credit) parlayed into sustained success at CU.  But I have doubts that he'll do that again, so I think tOSU could very well be looking for another replacement in 3-4 years.  As for creighton, the timing is pretty bad.  Could they be looking at a bunch of recruits asking out of their LOI?  And other than Crean, I'm not sure who is even realistically available this late in the cycle.

TLDR -- this move has the potential to make both programs worse, which makes me downright giddy.  Happy Thursday, everyone!

I hear you on this...Iowa State fans are also in the same boat as they probably hate McDermott more than any group of fans, but to me this reads a tad like wishful thinking.  Just saying...

Creighton's roster is stacked to the gills next year so whoever takes over will have a running start.  And while everybody is saying Crean (which probably isn't really out of the realm of possibility - probably would be a great fit TBH, but I doubt they are willing to pony up the cash required for him) there are a ton of quality guys out there, locally - or with local ties, that might be really interested in taking a run at the Big East with the head start I mentioned above and someone like these guys probably actually make a lot more logical sense anyway.

- Ben Jacobsen

- Otzelberger at SD State

- Saul Phillips

and yes even

- Craig Smith

This could be an opportunity for them to actually get even better by dumping a coach that has had mediocre to bad success developing talent and relied almost exclusively on two extremely rare and lucky events during his time in Omaha and replacing him with someone who is actually a decent coach.

IMO, hiring Crean would be the worst thing they could do...but who knows what's gonna happen.

The ones I kind of feel sorry for (but not really because f those guys) is Ohio State.  If they actually do hire him, they will more than likely stay near the bottom of the league.  Again, that's just IMO.  Worst part of it is we will lose to them guaranteed until either he or Miles is let go...