Jess Shepard

Bugeaters1

The transfer epidemic is because schools get 15 women's scholarships, which is a great thing, except there is no way to keep 15 players happy with playing time.  You can keep 8 or so happy, so almost 1/2 the team is still unhappy if you use all 15.  You would have to tell 1 player per class that we will pay for your education, but you have little chance of playing.......how do you sell that one? Also, I have no problem with having constraints that make sense like you suggest.  You certainly should not get to transfer twice, etc. My issue is coaches leaving for greener pastures with seemingly little consideration for their current players.  

20 minutes ago, huskerfrank said:

The transfer epidemic is because schools get 15 women's scholarships, which is a great thing, except there is no way to keep 15 players happy with playing time.  You can keep 8 or so happy, so almost 1/2 the team is still unhappy if you use all 15.  You would have to tell 1 player per class that we will pay for your education, but you have little chance of playing.......how do you sell that one? Also, I have no problem with having constraints that make sense like you suggest.  You certainly should not get to transfer twice, etc. My issue is coaches leaving for greener pastures with seemingly little consideration for their current players.  

I think that therein lies the problem that we have discussed on this board many times over.  Kids don't want to work for anything.  Kids don't want to wait their time.  Kids want instant gratification and if they do not get that, then they transfer.  Sure, I would like a promotion at my current job, and I am working hard to get that.  However, I'm not just going to jump ship because I have 10-15 other people that are fighting for that same thing.  

I could go along with something like getting a waiver if the coach leaves you can transfer.  I think that might be an interesting concept.  However, that might really hurt some schools when the coach indeed does leave.

7 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

I think that therein lies the problem that we have discussed on this board many times over.  Kids don't want to work for anything.  Kids don't want to wait their time.  Kids want instant gratification and if they do not get that, then they transfer.  Sure, I would like a promotion at my current job, and I am working hard to get that.  However, I'm not just going to jump ship because I have 10-15 other people that are fighting for that same thing.  

I could go along with something like getting a waiver if the coach leaves you can transfer.  I think that might be an interesting concept.  However, that might really hurt some schools when the coach indeed does leave.

I don't think it is that they don't want to work, but absolutely agree they don''t want to wait.  4 years goes fast. When players are being recruited the opportunity to play right away may not be promised, but is often implied. If you get mail from a school 4 or 5 times a week for months (think about how much mail that is), wouldn't that make you think that they might want you to play right away?  I hear you about having to work for it, but the recruiting process can get complicated and misleading.  Also, kids don't want to sit just "because " they are freshman or sophomores.   

Had Turner not been injured I dont see them granting her this waiver. I think its crap the NCAA would do this just for Notre Dame to have a big.  I love how they use the word Healthy to describe her. She is far from Healthy. Cant wait to see them be wishing she wasn't on their team either. I am guessing she may play 15 min a game. There is no way she is in Notre Dame Shape of running!!

Edited by KarlHessEatMy....

2 minutes ago, KarlHessEatMy.... said:

I love how they use the word Healthy to describe her. She is far from Healthy. Cant wait to see them be wishing she wasn't on their team either. I am guessing she may play 15 min a game. There is no way she is in Notre Dame Shape of running!!

And if she is, it will tell how much she thought about this program... and teammates.

Edited by Silverbacked1

The way that some of you talk negatively about Jess and the things that I heard fans yell during games to Jess is good enough reason for me to understand why she would want to leave.

Calling players fat,  slob, lazy etc. behind a computer screen is disappointing.  We lost the best H.S. player to ever play in Nebraska and some of the "fans" are accountable for that.

FYI- I saw Jess in Omaha about 6 weeks ago and she looked like she was in the best shape I've ever seen her. 

Some of you need to remember- SHE"S A KID!  

Her Freshman year she was coming off the ACL injury and didn't get cleared until just before the season, so she did what she could and worked on conditioning throughout the season.  I'm OK with that, wasn't much else she could do, and she had a solid freshman year on the court.  Off the court, not so sure.  Williams comes in and Jess says the right things, give the new coach a shot, but her words didn't really match what showed up.  She was not conditioned at the start of the season which was very surprising to me, since she had the summer to work on that and really get to a higher level.  She had trouble getting up and down the court - whether it was the extra weight, lack of conditioning, attitude, or some combination of those or even something else, it just wasn't happening.  She really looked like someone that did not want to be there.

She may turn into the player we had hoped she would be at Nebraska.  Wouldn't totally surprise me.  However, I wonder about the wear and tear on her body at Notre Dame when her conditioning was so poor last year.

I even wondered if she got a bit burned out at basketball.  Been going hard with that since she was in elementary school, committed to NU after 8th grade.  That is way way way too early to make a college commitment. And it obviously was the wrong choice for her, otherwise she would still be at NU.

Regardless, she is gone, sounds like the chemistry issues have left with her, we have a tremendous group of young ladies eager to play for their coach and each other, and some excellent recruits coming in.  I'm also very happy that AD SE is gone as well.  Onward and upward!

2 hours ago, Red Don said:

For Better or For Worse, Jess is gone.  For whatever reason, it just did not work out for her here.  I won't wish any Husker, or former Husker player ill.  I hope she finds what she is looking for and has success at her new school (except when she might be playing vs Nebraska).

I second that!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, HUD said:

"Notre Dame was given a waiver because it had seven scholarship players healthy."

If that's the case what is the definition of healthy?

As I have said before that really pisses me off. a lot of teams have health issues, but you have to scratch the back of Miss MUFFY.