NCAA Tournament Thread

9 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

We just don't do anything well offensively. We don't bunt, we don't steal bases , we don't hit homers. Basically just stand up there and pray the other team makes a mistakes. 

It's kind of hard to bunt or steal bases, when you have no base runners until there are two outs.  Today, was weak ground ball after weak ground, after weak ground ball.

Just now, royalfan said:

The goal is to win the regional.  We need to see Oregon st next so we only have to beat them once, even if it means almost surely having our season end.  

I have that same goal, however this team has given me almost zero hope of winning a regional.  I'm normally an optimistic guy, but this team is bringing out the pessimist in me.

This regional was a tall task to begin with.  Facing a pitching staff like Oregon State, means we HAD to win today, to give us a chance.  Our team is built to take advantage of the other team's mistakes.  Yale is a good fielding team, so they didn't make mistakes.

I'm certainly not basing this statement on just today, but we need to recruit better talent and take a different approach to playing the game.  At the expense at sounding like the proverbial Husker football fan who is accused of "living in the past," Van Horn's approach when he was here got the most out of his players.  Bunting, stealing bases, their approach to swinging at the plate in various circumstances and perhaps some other things I'm not aware of are aspects/traits that are barely seen out of this team.  And the talent level was probably about the same, esp. in his earlier years here, with a few notable exceptions.

Edited by mwm89

Ok so now we are probably going to have to beat Holy Cross, Yale, and then OSU twice.  

Do we not throw Jake and Burkamper today?  Either way we are going to have to start someone we didn't expect at some point. Why not have that some point be today?  If we have the "win the regional" mentality, I think we need to save Burk and Jake H now.

12 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

Ok so now we are probably going to have to beat Holy Cross, Yale, and then OSU twice.  

Do we not throw Jake and Burkamper today?  Either way we are going to have to start someone we didn't expect at some point. Why not have that some point be today?  If we have the "win the regional" mentality, I think we need to save Burk and Jake H now.

Waldron today? Jake and Burk tomorrow? Or maybe Jake today and Burk / Waldron tonorrow

1 hour ago, khoock said:

Well heres to hoping we can win a couple games and salvage our post season performance this year. Winning this regional was gonna be hard, but now it seems nearly impossible coming out of the losers bracket.

Any time you fall to the losers bracket it is just as hard.  Whether that be today or yesterday losers have to play as many games.  So unless we were going to win 3 in 3, we still have to play as many games now.  That's why I think we save Burk and Jake H today.  Then it gives us a fighting shot to get to Monday where we might (pushing it) be able to throw Myers a little bit.

3 hours ago, hskr4life said:

Any time you fall to the losers bracket it is just as hard.  Whether that be today or yesterday losers have to play as many games.  So unless we were going to win 3 in 3, we still have to play as many games now.  That's why I think we save Burk and Jake H today.  Then it gives us a fighting shot to get to Monday where we might (pushing it) be able to throw Myers a little bit.

That was kind of my point. I think our only real chance of winning the regional was staying in the winners bracket (including beating OSU). We dont really have the pitching depth it takes to come out of the losers bracket and win, especially not when you consider the quality pitching depth that OSU has.

But anything can happen.