NCAA Tournament Thread

I  wouldn't mind Myers sitting Sunday if it meant beating OSU with him on mound Saturday.  I would go Jake H, Jake M, Burkamper.  Then Myers could probably do the Monday game in outfield if we went 2-1 in first 3. 

I guess I would rather beat, or have the chance at beating, OSU day 2.  Win and advance.  Who gives us a chance to win THAT DAY?  Worry about winning the day before winning the next day.

Either way, tall mountain to climb.  We'll probably get Yales best and OSU can throw #4 or #5 Friday. 

19 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Interesting that Holy Cross and Yale are cross country plane trips away. Kind of weird considering the NCAA tries to seed based on region. Also Yale and Holy Cross have played each other 6 times already this season (Yale 5-1). 

HC and Yale are going to share a plane

36 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I figured for small budget schools like Yale and Holy Cross. Seems like Nebraska has enough money to get a flight out on their own accord. 

"Small Budget" is not necessarily what I think of when I think of Yale:

http://investments.yale.edu/endowment-update/

Yale University/Endowment

25.41 billion USD

3 hours ago, trickey said:

It sounds like our team may have a great selection of middle seats!

I'd hate to be the team that loses the first 2 games, and have to wait around all weekend.  Especially, if one of them upsets OSU, and the others have to watch the celebration on the way home.

Edited by brfrad

18 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Their athletic budget is a third of Nebraska's. 

Correct me if I am wrong, but Ivy League schools only award financial aid according to financial need, not athletic or academic ability. Ivy League schools have very high standards for acceptance and they do not give out financial awards after acceptance for anything other than family need. Isn't athletic scholarship money one of the major components of an athletic budget? 

Point is that the athletic budget may be small, but the overall budget numbers broken down per student is quite high (I believe). 

Big Ten Teams in Regionals:

Michigan: June 2: 12:00 PM CDT, #3 Michigan vs. #2 Florida Gulf Coast (ESPN3)

Maryland: June 2: 01:00 PM CDT, #3 Maryland vs. #2 West Virginia (ESPN3)

Nebraska: June 2: 03:00 PM CDT, #2 Nebraska vs. #3 Yale (ESPNU)

Indiana:    June 2: 06:00 PM CDT, #2 Indiana vs. #3 North Carolina State (ESPN3)

Iowa:        June 2: 07:00 PM CDT, #4 Iowa vs. #1 Houston (ESPNU)

I think we got a pretty generous drawing with Yale in the first round.....obviously, that all changes having to get thru Oregon State who is on an unbelievable run.  But, it creates a very big opportunity for the program to pull off a shocker.  Anything can happen if we can get some good outings out of our arms and some timely hits. 

1 hour ago, huskercwg said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but Ivy League schools only award financial aid according to financial need, not athletic or academic ability. Ivy League schools have very high standards for acceptance and they do not give out financial awards after acceptance for anything other than family need. Isn't athletic scholarship money one of the major components of an athletic budget? 

Point is that the athletic budget may be small, but the overall budget numbers broken down per student is quite high (I believe). 

Haha I did not anticipate this discussion when I made that comment. Athletic scholarship money is a component, along with employment pay, travel, recruiting, ect. Nebraska brings in millions more in TV revenue, licensing, ticket sales (compare arena sizes and ticket cost) and of course development. Yale might operate in the black, I guess I don't know for sure - but I'm sure it doesn't touch what the Nebraska's, the Texas A&M's and the Ohio State's are able to afford.

Edited by The Polish Rifle

2 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I think we got a pretty generous drawing with Yale in the first round.....obviously, that all changes having to get thru Oregon State who is on an unbelievable run.  But, it creates a very big opportunity for the program to pull off a shocker.  Anything can happen if we can get some good outings out of our arms and some timely hits. 

It'll be interesting to see what we go with for pitching rotation.  Yale is certainly beatable, and I want our best arm against OSU.  I would rather beat them early and have to have them beat us twice later.

3 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

It'll be interesting to see what we go with for pitching rotation.  Yale is certainly beatable, and I want our best arm against OSU.  I would rather beat them early and have to have them beat us twice later.

I would go Hohensee, Burkamper, and Meyers.  The regular rotation.   Hope Hohensee gets out of this funk he's been in, and give us a chance to beat Yale.  If we win that game we have our two hottest pitchers lined up to pull off the upset.  The problem, like all year, is going to be our offense at times.  Not that it matters, but I could see OSU saving their big guns for a winner's bracket game.

10 minutes ago, hskr4life said:

To me, all three are pretty interchangeable.  So I would just assume we will keep to the regular rotation.  Meyer's probably gives us the best chance to win...but, he also got roughed up against Oregon St earlier in the year. 

3 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Haha I did not anticipate this discussion when I made that comment. Athletic scholarship money is a component, along with employment pay, travel, recruiting, ect. Nebraska brings in millions more in TV revenue, licensing, ticket sales (compare arena sizes and ticket cost) and of course development. Yale might operate in the black, I guess I don't know for sure - but I'm sure it doesn't touch what the Nebraska's, the Texas A&M's and the Ohio State's are able to afford.

Truly not attempting to argue, rather simply point out that Yale has a vast amount of monetary backing due to the number of esteemed and wealthy alum.  For example, here is a donation Yale received in the recent past:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-education-yale-idUSBRE98T13120130930

A $250 million donation goes a long way academically and athletically.