OT Good haul for Husker baseball team

16 hours ago, uneblinstu said:

I don't expect either Schreiber or Meyers to be back next year.

I'm expecting Meyers to be back....I just don't see how his game translates to the next level and he is a die hard Husker so it would not surprise me if he's back.  I don't think he will be drafted high enough.  From the juniors I could see Alvarado, Schreiber, and Hoensee all leaving.  Alvarado has been touching low 90's on his fastball which will likely catch the eye of some teams. 

Edited by huskerbaseball13

31 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I'm expecting Meyers to be back....I just don't see how his game translates to the next level and he is a die hard Husker so it would not surprise me if he's back.  I don't think he will be drafted high enough.  From the juniors I could see Alvarado, Schreiber, and Hoensee all leaving.  Alvarado has been touching low 90's on his fastball which will likely catch the eye of some teams. 

That would be great if Meyers is back, it's just that it so rarely works that way that it'd be the exception to the rule. Good baseball players find a way to the top, and that's what he is. That's what the minor leagues is for to figure all that out. But sure, I'd love to have him back.

36 minutes ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

I know Matt Reynoldson said on RSS the other day that with Schreiber's down year as far as power numbers that he might not get drafted as high and might want to return and improve on those next year.  He also thought Myers would be back and thought someone might take a chance on Hoensee but wasn't for sure.

5 minutes ago, ConkintheCorner said:

I know Matt Reynoldson said on RSS the other day that with Schreiber's down year as far as power numbers that he might not get drafted as high and might want to return and improve on those next year.  He also thought Myers would be back and thought someone might take a chance on Hoensee but wasn't for sure.

I could see Schreiber not getting drafted high enough to leave....fact is, he really does not offer much outside of his power and that dwindled a bit this year.  Hoensee is probably the most likely to leave IMO. 

32 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

What do you think is not high enough?

I guess that would really be dependent on what team he is drafted to but anything outside the top 10 rounds becomes dicey.  Obviously, next year if he decides he wants to return he loses all of his leverage...but, if he's drafted outside the top 10 all bets our off.  If he gets picked within the first 10 rounds it's a no brainer to leave for any junior IMO. 

Eh, I'd expand that to top 20, unless he thinks he can push himself into the first round next year. With MLB teams taking college seniors in early rounds to spend big in other places, there's just no leverage for him if he waits til next year, not to mention the health risks. If he gets drafted in the first two days, he should probably go pro.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hskr4life said:

This is crazy!

If this had happened at Nebraska I would have put out an email and phone call to the AD and Coach pleading to bar him from play for the remainder of the season. I don't know who in their right mind could cheer for a team with him on it. Also hoping my MLB team stays as far away from him as possible. Really hope we don't see OSU in Omaha. 

3 hours ago, The Polish Rifle said:

If this had happened at Nebraska I would have put out an email and phone call to the AD and Coach pleading to bar him from play for the remainder of the season. I don't know who in their right mind could cheer for a team with him on it. Also hoping my MLB team stays as far away from him as possible. Really hope we don't see OSU in Omaha. 

So he should just crawl in a hole and die or something?  

Something bad you did when you were 15 should disqualify you from ever having joy in your life or experiencing success or finding happiness? 

How much penance would satisfy you?  

Is there some point in time that you would be willing to say he can move on with his life and try to be a normal guy?

Or do you think we should brand a scarlet letter on his forehead and make him go around the earth yelling "unclean, unclean" like the lepers of biblical times?

And, just for the record, I'm not an apologist for sex criminals.

I'm just one of those strange individuals who truly believes you can vote against a school bond issue and it doesn't make you anti-child or that you can have compassion for those who have fallen afoul of the law and it doesn't make you pro-crime.

11 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

So he should just crawl in a hole and die or something?  

Something bad you did when you were 15 should disqualify you from ever having joy in your life or experiencing success or finding happiness? 

How much penance would satisfy you?  

Is there some point in time that you would be willing to say he can move on with his life and try to be a normal guy?

Or do you think we should brand a scarlet letter on his forehead and make him go around the earth yelling "unclean, unclean" like the lepers of biblical times?

And, just for the record, I'm not an apologist for sex criminals.

I'm just one of those strange individuals who truly believes you can vote against a school bond issue and it doesn't make you anti-child or that you can have compassion for those who have fallen afoul of the law and it doesn't make you pro-crime.

Maybe I'm a little harsh but there are social consequences beyond the time he has served. I respect your opinion Norm and I'm sure many people agree. But as a fan of baseball and if I were a fan of that team, I would always associate that young man with the unacceptable actions he took, and couldn't support a team with him on it. Both of our opinions will come to the forefront during the MLB draft as there are teams that have already said he is off their draft boards and there are teams willing to give him another shot.

1 hour ago, The Polish Rifle said:

Maybe I'm a little harsh but there are social consequences beyond the time he has served. I respect your opinion Norm and I'm sure many people agree. But as a fan of baseball and if I were a fan of that team, I would always associate that young man with the unacceptable actions he took, and couldn't support a team with him on it. Both of our opinions will come to the forefront during the MLB draft as there are teams that have already said he is off their draft boards and there are teams willing to give him another shot.

Agree with Norm on this, the kid made a mistake, a big one, but to punish him the rest of his life for something stupid he did at 15 is NOT wjwd.

45 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

I didn't read the whole article so I'm talking in generalities but I feel the problem is the term "sex offender." Sexual crimes are very serious and should be taken as such. We do need different terminology. The problem is you can be labeled an offender from such a wide variety of actions ranging from rape, exposing yourself, peeing outside in a public place or an 18 year old dating a 16 year old in high school. It did sound from the victim's mother this was closer to the high end than the low end.  But even then there can be mitigating circumstances to everyone's actions when you are deciding on punishments. A 15 year old boy abusing a 6 year old girl is a horrific thing but if you find out the boy, himself has been abused since he was 2 would have to be taken in account when deciding how you deal with him. 

For those of you trying to read subtext, no I have never been labeled a "sex offender." I also have a daughter and the culture of sex on college campuses scares me to death. So in generalalities, sex crimes are horrific but I would need more information before I pronounced summery judgement. 

8 minutes ago, colhusker said:

Agree with Norm on this, the kid made a mistake, a big one, but to punish him the rest of his life for something stupid he did at 15 is NOT wjwd.

That's the dynamic at play. Plenty of coaches and gm's are with you and Norm I'm sure. Personsally I can't stomach it, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard. 

19 minutes ago, The Polish Rifle said:

That's the dynamic at play. Plenty of coaches and gm's are with you and Norm I'm sure. Personsally I can't stomach it, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that regard. 

I understand that and you are entitled to your thoughts and I am not defending the kids actions in any way shape or form.  I don't agree that all crimes committed as a teen should simply be washed away at a certain age, but I also believe people can change.