OT Good haul for Husker baseball team

The Husker baseball team took in their share of Big 10 awards this year:

Coach of the Year: Darin Erstad
1st team: Jake Meyers and Scott Schreiber
3rd team: Angelo Altavilla and Jake Hohensee
Freshman team: Luke Roskam
Sportsmanship Award: Ben Miller

Hope they stay hot the rest of the year.  Really happy for Erstad who seemed to be taking some heat recently.

Hagge not being on the all freshmen team is a joke, and i was initially upset that myers didnt get player of the year, but than i saw they gave it to Adams, who absolutely crushed the ball this season...in a northern baseball conference, so suffice to say he is more than deserving. 

24 minutes ago, bobcat402 said:

Roskam is going to be a good player for us, hopefully we can hold on to Meyers and Schreiber for next year but im doubtful

I was about to say that having to worry about players leaving so much in baseball would drive me nuts as a coach but I guess college hoops is getting to be just as bad. Meyers has really developed into a very good pitcher and hitter.  Will he get drafted as a position player or pitcher?

40 minutes ago, bobcat402 said:

Hagge not being on the all freshmen team is a joke, and i was initially upset that myers didnt get player of the year, but than i saw they gave it to Adams, who absolutely crushed the ball this season...in a northern baseball conference, so suffice to say he is more than deserving. 

Initially had the same thought on Hagge, but looked up the 3 freshman team outfielders and they were all batting at least 50 points higher than Mojo. Mojos web gems don't show up on a stat sheet so it was gonna be a hard sell.

My argument for Meyers as the Most Valuable Player is the role he was asked to play.  Arguably he played one of the most critical defensive positions well; he was an effective Sunday starter (perhaps the best or at least one of the best) and he played a critical role in our hitting line-up.  He took a role few are asked to perform and he excelled.  Heck, that said, Luis Alvarado could have/should have garnered some votes as well.

3 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Hope they stay hot the rest of the year.  Really happy for Erstad who seemed to be taking some heat recently.

Not bad for an Osborne hire.

1 hour ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

I was about to say that having to worry about players leaving so much in baseball would drive me nuts as a coach but I guess college hoops is getting to be just as bad. Meyers has really developed into a very good pitcher and hitter.  Will he get drafted as a position player or pitcher?

Meyers will be back next year - he doesn't have what the MLB is looking for in the early rounds. When Meyers is drafted he will be drafted after a couple hundred guys that are worse ball players because he doesn't throw mid ninties or hit double digit bombs. MLB teams tend to not draft guys that are gritty damn good ball players in the early rounds - they want flash and measurables. 

Scott is as good as gone, last projection i saw was 10th RD or 9th RD. I think fingers crossed we can hold on too Meyers. Maybe Scott will want to have a better bounce back year and garner higher draft consideration, idk how much higher he can go, as a 1st Basemen, he could platoon in the OF he has a cannon, but his instincts need work. 

I think we have a shot with Meyers.  He isn't 6'4" with a mid 90's fastball.  Great college player, though.

Schreiber, on the other hand..... he looks like a MLB first baseman.  I would be shocked if he is back.

Edited by busticket

14 minutes ago, cipsucks said:

So far, Osborne is batting .333.   Maybe if Miles has a nice run next season, Tom will improve to .666.  I love irony.  :)

What's par for the course?

In terms of coaching longevity, since 1980, how many seasons have Nebraska's men's basketball coaches typically lasted?  We got six seasons out of Moe, 14 from Danny, and six each from Collier and Doc.  And this will be Tim's sixth season.  If Tim survives this coming season, he'd move into 2nd place on that list for longevity.  But if Miles doesn't survive next season, he's done no worse than 3 of the 4 guys who came before him.

Using your baseball metaphor, is that a strikeout or is it a walk?  Or maybe just a single?  If it's a walk, then it improves Osborne's batting average to .500, no?

5 minutes ago, busticket said:

I think we have a shot with Meyers.  He isn't 6'4" with a mid 90's fastball.  Great college player, though.

Schreiber, on the other hand..... he looks like a MLB first baseman.  I would be shocked if he is back.

Crazier things have happened, but I just don't see it. There's not really any incentive for him to come back. The money won't be much better next year for him unless he suddenly becomes a first rounder. After the first couple of rounds, it really doesn't matter what round you're picked in. If he's in the first half of the draft, I think he's good as gone.

Alvarado's probably going to be facing that decision, too.

Edited by uneblinstu

28 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

In terms of coaching longevity, since 1980, how many seasons have Nebraska's men's basketball coaches typically lasted?  We got six seasons out of Moe, 14 from Danny, and six each from Collier and Doc.  And this will be Tim's sixth season.  If Tim survives this coming season, he'd move into 2nd place on that list for longevity.  But if Miles doesn't survive next season, he's done no worse than 3 of the 4 guys who came before him.

Using your baseball metaphor, is that a strikeout or is it a walk?  Or maybe just a single?  If it's a walk, then it improves Osborne's batting average to .500, no?

I was making a joke about TO and the number 666. I wasn't talking about Miles, but what the heck, it's May and there's nothing else to talk about.

If Miles survives this coming season, he does move into 2nd place for longevity since Cipriano.  Definitely a .666 batting average.  If he doesn't, he has done worse than 3 of the 4 guys who came before him.  Here's why in my humble opinion:  he has had facilities and resources which all 4 guys before him never had.  Thanks, Dr. Tom, for doing all of that, but if Miles doesn't deliver next season, it's not a walk or a strikeout.  It's an error.  Errors go against your batting average.

2 hours ago, cipsucks said:

So far, Osborne is batting .333.   Maybe if Miles has a nice run next season, Tom will improve to .666.  I love irony.  :)

Wouldn't Bo have made it .666 already. ;)

Yeah, yeah, he "failed" but he wasn't that horrible of a hire (at the time!). Pelini is perfect for Div. 1-aa, IMHO.

Oh well, I should have just let bygones be bygones.

1 hour ago, cipsucks said:

I was making a joke about TO and the number 666. I wasn't talking about Miles, but what the heck, it's May and there's nothing else to talk about.

Really?  Because I coulda sworn ...

2 hours ago, cipsucks said:

Bottom line:  hiring coaches is not an exact science.  Even Kentucky hoops screws it up from time to time (See Gillespie, Billy C.)

Miles has as many NCAA tourney appearances at NU as Moe, Barry and Doc combined.  If he completes this next season, he will equal their tenures here.  If he survives this next season, he'll have done them at least one year better.  

Not sure how you could call that a "miss" or a "strikeout" or whatever metaphor you want to use.  Not sure you can call that a "bad hire" or whatever it would have to be to count as something less than a base hit.  Might not have been a home run hire, but sure as hell wasn't a strikeout.

7 hours ago, bobcat402 said:

Roskam is going to be a good player for us, hopefully we can hold on to Meyers and Schreiber for next year but im doubtful

I think Meyers will still be around.  He is a very good college player, but pitching is not going to get him drafted.  His bat and speed might get him a look, but I don't think it will be very high.

Alvarado and Schreiber will have a decision to make.  Alvarado will be drafted probably pretty high.  Not many arms that can throw 95, with a filthy slider.  Schreiber has raw power.  His question will be health, and position.

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Golf, basketball, and baseball all in the same post? That takes some skill.

One thing to note is that longevity isn't necessarily the best barometer to determine success at a program. I don't think you're alluding to that, but simply getting another year and a 'walk' doesn't mean we're better off (although it definitely can, and I hope it does). We've drilled this topic dry in the past many times, but what I would like to see out of a coach's tenure is threefold: their win/loss record, relative performance to teams in the conference, national exposure, recruiting ability, coaching g ability, players' success in the classroom, a good role model, a great ambassador for the program, a philanthropist, a mentor, a father/mother figure for the players/child fans, etc. It's a lot to ask for, but that's why they're getting the big paychecks. Some coaches lack in some areas and excel in others; it's all a balance.

That said, it would be very difficult for me to say, even if Miles wasn't given another year, that he was a strikeout for this program.

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Really?  Because I coulda sworn ...

Bottom line:  hiring coaches is not an exact science.  Even Kentucky hoops screws it up from time to time (See Gillespie, Billy C.)

Miles has as many NCAA tourney appearances at NU as Moe, Barry and Doc combined.  If he completes this next season, he will equal their tenures here.  If he survives this next season, he'll have done them at least one year better.  

Not sure how you could call that a "miss" or a "strikeout" or whatever metaphor you want to use.  Not sure you can call that a "bad hire" or whatever it would have to be to count as something less than a base hit.  Might not have been a home run hire, but sure as hell wasn't a strikeout.

I never used the used the terms "miss" "strikeout" or "bad hire".  I brought up the fact that Miles has more resources than any of the four coaches before him.   I don't bash Miles, but I also don't put TO on a golden pedestal where every move he makes is the right one.  Hey, I hope the Huskers are in the Elite Eight this season.

21 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Six years to win the Big 10 took longer than expected but this was probably Erstad's best coaching job to date.  I'm not sure this is the most talented team he has assembled but the pitching has been consistent and we have played good defense all year.  Hitting has been up and down, I don't have the stats to back it up but it seems we have done better with timely hits than years past.  It's unfortunate Eddins and Paul Tillotson had to be shut down this year....my main concern for the Big 10 tourney and regional is having a fourth starter. 

Edited by huskerbaseball13