Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bugeaters1

Sam Haiby is N

30 posts in this topic

If this is the kid I think it is, Norm approves.  Extremely good off the dribble.  Gets to the rim and finishes.  Three point range.  Adequate quicks for a power 5 guard.  But being aggressive with the ball in her hands is a trait you can teach, but it's a mindset that kids either have or they don't and this girl has it.

Still need a big.  

49 minutes ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I find the picture at Hawks field an interesting one.

She plays HS baseball. 

34 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

If this is the kid I think it is, Norm approves.  Extremely good off the dribble.  Gets to the rim and finishes.  Three point range.  Adequate quicks for a power 5 guard.  But being aggressive with the ball in her hands is a trait you can teach, but it's a mindset that kids either have or they don't and this girl has it.

Still need a big.  

The kind of team Amy Williams wants long-term, not sure they're gonna get much "bigger" than Veerbeek is at 6-2/6-3. Mershon is 6-1. Brown is 6-0 and may be 6-1 when she gets here. 

Williams' second team should be in much better shape - to run and spread the floor - than her first team was. And she wants to play more aggressive perimeter D...like Connie's teams did in the earlier days. (Maybe not quite as aggressive as Connie's early teams did with extending the D.) 

Veerbeek is the No. 51 player in the nation now, BTW. 

The 2018 class has rounded out nicely. Some good height, and different skills spread throughout. All will have to adjust to the speed of the college game as our 2017 freshman did.

But will be interesting to see who, will show their skills early. Maybe even a couple. Could be wrong but wonder if the bigger girls will be needed right away.

By then, this will be pretty much Coach Amy's team. We'll know what she's trying to do conceptually.

She plays HS baseball. 

I know, my point was why was she standing with Erstad? Is she going to try and play baseball as well?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, KearneyMan said:

(yawn) another guard

thanks for the morning laugh K man!

5 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I know, my point was why was she standing with Erstad? Is she going to try and play baseball as well?

I'd doubt that, but one never knows. 

12 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

I have a picture with Erstad and he never asked me to play ball; however, he did mention if I was hitting he would have to have Ben Miller pinch run for me to get more speed on the base-path.

Was at a tournament with my daughter a few weeks ago and saw Haiby play.  Tons of potential to be really good!

Really like that this kid brings tons of athleticism to PBA. Here's to hoping that each of the new recruits keep themselves healthy and ready to hit the floor running when they get here.

ProspectNation has weighed in on the Sam Haiby committment.

Nebraska Lands Haiby

Class of 2018 guard Sam Haiby of Moorhead, Minnesota has made a verbal pledge to play her college basketball at Nebraska. Haiby, who was starting to become a hot name throughout the Midwest with programs from the Big Ten, Big 12 and other conferences beginning to take note, gives Nebraska their fourth commitment for the class of 2018. The 5-foot-8 guard joins four-star forwards Kayla Mershon of Minnetonka, Minnesota and Ashtyn Veerbeek of Hull, Iowa as well as three-star guard Leigha Brown of Waterloo, Iowa. 

For Nebraska, Haiby will be able to bring playmaking and shotmaking to both guard positions. In EYBL play, Haiby is averaging 8.0 points a game for her North Tartan team.

https://prospectsnation.com/story/nation-notebook-princeton-stetson-nebraska 

Three 4 stars and one 3 star, I'll take that as a very good start for this new coaching staff on their first recruiting class! Could there be more added to this class yet we'll just have to and see as the summer progresses.

On 5/20/2017 at 1:30 PM, HB said:

I'd say it is the second recruiting class of this staff 

You're right HB, I should have explained myself better. I should have wrote, for this new staff's first full season of recruiting at Nebraska instead 7 months on the job, opposed to last year. 

1 hour ago, Row6Seat10 said:

You're right HB, I should have explained myself better. I should have wrote, for this new staff's first full season of recruiting at Nebraska instead 7 months on the job, opposed to last year. 

Right, I get how it's tough to sign that first class in November when you aren't on the job until April, now that recruiting starts so early.  Miles had the same issue with his first November class, although not too many posters cut him any slack for that when they are rehashing recruiting classes.   Anyway, hope you're right and that 2018 class turns out to be a good one.   I will always wonder why we didn't take, or couldn't get, a post player in the spring signing period of 2017.   

2 hours ago, HB said:

I will always wonder why we didn't take, or couldn't get, a post player in the spring signing period of 2017.   

I was of the same mindset.  But maybe she likes what she has with Maddie and Grace at the 4 position.  Obviously Rachel B. must be doing good in her rehab and hopefully Darrien W. is getting in shape.  Also I'm sure the coach wants someone who will fit in and not just a warm body.

34 minutes ago, HUD said:

I was of the same mindset.  But maybe she likes what she has with Maddie and Grace at the 4 position.  Obviously Rachel B. must be doing good in her rehab and hopefully Darrien W. is getting in shape.  Also I'm sure the coach wants someone who will fit in and not just a warm body.

Good luck competing in the Big 10 with those 3 "posts".  And someone is getting paid almost as much as John Cook to not just want someone who will fit in and not just be a warm body, but to actually find one, in a year's time.