New rules being discussed

These two are interesting to me:

• Redefine a legal screen to require that the inside of the screener’s feet be no wider than his shoulders.
  • Approve the Southeastern Conference’s request to use a separate individual or individuals to collaborate with the on-court officials on all monitor reviews during their league games during the 2017-18 season. This collaboration will take place from a central location that is not at the game site.

12 hours ago, ConkintheCorner said:

How about eliminating the charge call???  It gets called so often and half the time its a horrible call so how about we just eliminate it.

That's a good idea. Force a defender to play defense instead of being rewarded for standing in a spot and flopping backward.

9 minutes ago, ajb5856 said:

That's a good idea. Force a defender to play defense instead of being rewarded for standing in a spot and flopping backward.

Not too many charges are earned by standing in a spot. You have to move your feet to beat them to the spot. You take out the charge and offensive players just lower their shoulder and run people over on the way to the hoop. You can't play any defense when you allow the offense free rein to run through people. 

48 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

Not too many charges are earned by standing in a spot. You have to move your feet to beat them to the spot. You take out the charge and offensive players just lower their shoulder and run people over on the way to the hoop. You can't play any defense when you allow the offense free rein to run through people. 

Yes but...how about calling offensive fouls when the on ball defender is in legal guarding position and the ball handler lowers his shoulder and goes through the defender? I like those calls and it's not called enough. Defender is moving in a defensive stance and gets rammed by the ball handler. Offensive foul. But then eliminate the ability of a defender to beat someone to a spot, stop, and draw a charge. The offensive player already has free reign because at any time a guard can just burrow their head and usually get a "reach" call. 

I'm all for moving from halves to quarters (4 x 10 minutes) and adopting the NBA's foul rules.  Basically, the defense has four fouls to give per quarter, offense gets (2) shots on the fifth foul.  Only defensive and loose-ball fouls count towards this total.  The exception is in the final two minutes of each quarter, whereupon the next foul committed will place the offense into the foul bonus, and second foul yields free throws.  This is basically the foul bonus rules for NCAA WBB as well, minus the changes for the final two minutes.

No one pays for a ticket thinking, "I sure hope I get to see a lot of free throws tonight!"  This change would allow up to (16) fouls to be committed by a defense throughout the game before any free throws were rewarded.  Under current NCAA MBB rules, that number is 12.

I also think that the half court violation should be moved from 10 to 8 seconds like the NBA.

7 hours ago, MitchMcGaryMunchies said:

Basically, the defense has four fouls to give per quarter, offense gets (2) shots on the fifth foul.

I watched some NIT games this year in person and they played with these rules, except that they weren't quarters. As play continued and the clock went to 10:00, the team fouls on the scoreboard simply reset. It was obnoxious having to explain that to everyone around me 100 times every time it happened.

On 5/15/2017 at 9:12 AM, ConkintheCorner said:

How about eliminating the charge call???  It gets called so often and half the time its a horrible call so how about we just eliminate it.

Yes, please!  There is a reason teams practice flopping and it isn't for good defense.  Make the defender defend and not just jump in a position hoping for a call.  If an offensive player lowers a shoulder/plows a defender call an offensive.  Otherwise let the game flow.  Force teams to make plays, not refs to make calls.

17 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

I watched some NIT games this year in person and they played with these rules, except that they weren't quarters. As play continued and the clock went to 10:00, the team fouls on the scoreboard simply reset. It was obnoxious having to explain that to everyone around me 100 times every time it happened.

I was happy that the NIT experimented with this format, but I think you really need distinct 10 minute quarters with a buzzer and play stoppage.  This adds to the excitement as there's additional chances for buzzer-beating shots, and faster play as offenses push for two-for-one possessions at the close of the quarter.

3 hours ago, cozrulz said:

Yes, please!  There is a reason teams practice flopping and it isn't for good defense.  Make the defender defend and not just jump in a position hoping for a call.  If an offensive player lowers a shoulder/plows a defender call an offensive.  Otherwise let the game flow.  Force teams to make plays, not refs to make calls.

I think the NCAA should review all egregious flops and institute a one-game ban to the offenders.  If an official makes a bad call for an offense, there's a good chance you'll see a flop on the ensuing defensive possession in hopes of getting the make-up call-_-

Blocking/Charge calls are difficult to officiate...but in my opinion, they officials already call it a block too often....if you eliminate the charge call, I think you will see even more free throws as players will continually drive through the lane as their will be no consequences (offensive foul called) except missing a shot.

1 minute ago, Blindcheck said:

Blocking/Charge calls are difficult to officiate...but in my opinion, they officials already call it a block too often....if you eliminate the charge call, I think you will see even more free throws as players will continually drive through the lane as their will be no consequences (offensive foul called) except missing a shot.

Yup.  Eliminating the charge is not a good idea.

10 hours ago, cozrulz said:

I'm not sure I understand what your stance is.  You want to get rid of charging, but when an offensive player lowers his shoulder, you want them to call an offensive foul that amounts to charging?

12 hours ago, atskooc said:

Yup.  Eliminating the charge is not a good idea.

I'm not an expert and maybe some of the better basketball minds on here can explain the ramifications of what I'm suggesting. You don't eliminate a charge. Offensive fouls are still called when the offensive player initiates contact on a player in legal guarding position. But what you eliminate is the ability of a player to draw a charge by beating someone to a spot and falling backward. A defender should be forced to make a play on the ball. That's the decision, make a play on the ball and risk getting a foul called on you or give up a layup. In my mind it eliminates a lot of plays where a driver plows in just for the sake of drawing contact. It also gives less incentive for a flop. If the offensive player gets the defender up in the air and draws contact the yes absolutely a foul. But there are way too many plays where a ball handlers main goal is to plow in and create contact but that contact should be earned if a foul is awarded. It used to be that the objective on a drive was to finish. If bodies were in the way then a pretty or creative finish was the goal. Anymore guys create contact and scoring the ball is sometimes an afterthought.

1 hour ago, ajb5856 said:

I'm not an expert and maybe some of the better basketball minds on here can explain the ramifications of what I'm suggesting. You don't eliminate a charge. Offensive fouls are still called when the offensive player initiates contact on a player in legal guarding position. But what you eliminate is the ability of a player to draw a charge by beating someone to a spot and falling backward. A defender should be forced to make a play on the ball. That's the decision, make a play on the ball and risk getting a foul called on you or give up a layup. In my mind it eliminates a lot of plays where a driver plows in just for the sake of drawing contact. It also gives less incentive for a flop. If the offensive player gets the defender up in the air and draws contact the yes absolutely a foul. But there are way too many plays where a ball handlers main goal is to plow in and create contact but that contact should be earned if a foul is awarded. It used to be that the objective on a drive was to finish. If bodies were in the way then a pretty or creative finish was the goal. Anymore guys create contact and scoring the ball is sometimes an afterthought.

Now I see where you're coming from!

Thank you!

18 minutes ago, ajb5856 said:

I'm not blindcheck so I think you may still be waiting on that persons opinion

But you have at least explained the argument in a way that makes sense.

So, thank you. 

ajb, I'm no expert either, but we always yell at defenders to guard with their feet and not their hands.   Good defense depends on redirecting the offensive players away from where they want to go by getting in their way and holding your ground. I think what you suggest would  lead to more reach-in fouls and hand checks. 

If you want to get rid of flops and penalize flopping, I'm OK with that. But the reason that flops exist is because of bad officiating and not because of the charging rule.   Officials allow a certain amount of physical play. The offensive player has to adjust to that allowed level of physical defense. And then, sometime down the court, the officials pull the rug out from underneath the offensive player and call a touch foul where the defender flops. In my opinion, that is the problem. 

Consistency within the game is all we can ask from the officials. Any human endeavor contains differences of opinion and as long as they are not egregious, they add to the ambience of the game for fans. Just witness the strike zone for each umpire and how disagreement from the fans adds atmosphere to the ballpark unless it becomes abusive, obscene or violent.Until we get robot officials, the inconsistencies will remain. But by then, the players will also be robots in all likelihood. And now I expect some up arrows for sticking "egregious" into a Sunday post.