01/22/2013 - Illinois Report Card

hhcdave

Illinois  B+  They played about as well as they can last night.  Tough for us to beat them when that is the case. 

I disagree about that in a sense...other than Richardson they're still in a 3 pt slump.  If they shot at a 40% clip like in the early season they would have rolled us by 30+

Good scorecard, although I could argue that the coaching grade could have been a bit lower.  This team did not look well prepared for the game emotionally, physically or mentally.  This is the second home game in a row that there were admissions from the team and staff that the team was not ready to play...really? 

I'm not sure how lack of effort by the players can ever be attributed to a coach.  If you are a competitor, you shouldn't need to be motivated by a coach or anyone else.  JMO.

I said that the team did not look well prepared.  I provided three categories...perhaps all three are "on" the players, but some of it could have been game plan, or sharpness, or whatever...My point was that you could "argue" for a lower grade.  You could also simply chalk it up to the appearence that we came to the horse race with plow horses, and Illinois showed up with thoroughbreds? ;)

I have no idea how you could game plan "emotionally,  or physically" You can game plan mental because that's what the game plan is all about. The physical is too late to do anything about in the game plan. That's what conditioning, plyometrics, strength and agility training, etc. are about. How you emotionally get someone ready for a particular game idk.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the horse analogy. I have read some posts about how tough it was for Shields because he was "game planned for." I didn't see where Illinois did anything different for him than anyone else. It was better athletes being very physical and the refs allowing it to happen. We would try to turn the corner off the dribble and they would physically stop us from doing so. Imo they should have backed off the defensive pressure at the end of the game to keep the clock running. Others say we dogged it so to speak. We weren't necessarily outworked as out-athleted (not a real word). We would be in position for the rebound and they simply had longer reach and higher ups and just took them. Some times the simplest answer is the best. We got beat by a more athletic, better team. It is not so much what we did but who we are. We are capable of beating Illinois but a lot would have to happen in our favor. 

Good scorecard, although I could argue that the coaching grade could have been a bit lower.  This team did not look well prepared for the game emotionally, physically or mentally.  This is the second home game in a row that there were admissions from the team and staff that the team was not ready to play...really? 

I'm not sure how lack of effort by the players can ever be attributed to a coach.  If you are a competitor, you shouldn't need to be motivated by a coach or anyone else.  JMO.

I said that the team did not look well prepared.  I provided three categories...perhaps all three are "on" the players, but some of it could have been game plan, or sharpness, or whatever...My point was that you could "argue" for a lower grade.  You could also simply chalk it up to the appearence that we came to the horse race with plow horses, and Illinois showed up with thoroughbreds? ;)

I hear you cwg.  My comment was in regards to the "not ready to play" comments from some of the players.  I agree with your analogy about the talent and hopefully the additions to next years roster will add a few thoroughbreds to the stable.

He counts though since he played.  And they hit timely ones.  And they were very engaged defensively with a good defensive game plan.  They shot decent, not phenominal which is why just B+ from my perspective.  I thought they played a great road game. 

Illinois  B+  They played about as well as they can last night.  Tough for us to beat them when that is the case. 

I disagree about that in a sense...other than Richardson they're still in a 3 pt slump.  If they shot at a 40% clip like in the early season they would have rolled us by 30+

The season is about what I expected it to be. Actually, we've played some decent BB. There just isn't much ability out on the floor. Look at Illinois, then look at NU...is there even a comparison? Miles is probably getting worn down himself as the season progresses. Can't get much more from what he is to work with.

I'm actually pretty happy with the mostly fairly reasonable replies on this thread ( I know, who the flip cares).  I'm so sick and stinking tired of the " they weren't ready to play" crap.   Folks, we have a million things working against us and these young men are giving it their all.   Does that mean that these guys can't learn and improve and pull out a few more ?  Of course they could.   But to sit there here and question their effort and readiness is obsurd when there are far better explainations for the losses.

And I don't care if the coach and players " are saying it themselves".   The players tend to have  a very different view of their team than any fan or outsider does.   So they are fishing for reasons and that's just fine.    Whatever keeps them motivated and hopefull is good at this point, even if it's bad sports cliches.   As far as coach, he's gotta keep them and him going too.    He is doing what he's got to do.

So if we get beat by teams that have more talent, more rest, better shooters, deeper bench, better athletes...I don't stinking care how hard you play or how much you want it, if we aren't getting some breaks, getting some calls, getting some shots to fall....it aint happening.    Can we just support these guys please !!!

I'm actually pretty happy with the mostly fairly reasonable replies on this thread ( I know, who the flip cares).  I'm so sick and stinking tired of the " they weren't ready to play" crap.   Folks, we have a million things working against us and these young men are giving it their all.   Does that mean that these guys can't learn and improve and pull out a few more ?  Of course they could.   But to sit there here and question their effort and readiness is obsurd when there are far better explainations for the losses.

And I don't care if the coach and players " are saying it themselves".   The players tend to have  a very different view of their team than any fan or outsider does.   So they are fishing for reasons and that's just fine.    Whatever keeps them motivated and hopefull is good at this point, even if it's bad sports cliches.   As far as coach, he's gotta keep them and him going too.    He is doing what he's got to do.

So if we get beat by teams that have more talent, more rest, better shooters, deeper bench, better athletes...I don't stinking care how hard you play or how much you want it, if we aren't getting some breaks, getting some calls, getting some shots to fall....it aint happening.    Can we just support these guys please !!!

I support the hell out of this team and I have been doing so for many, many years.  I do not give this team a pass because they are under-manned.  That is an excuse that neither this team or coach want.  As a player you should go out every night and bust your arse.  More often than not, they do just that.  But, for whatever reason, Illinois was better prepared this game then we were.  If fans did not recognize that, then fine.  Yes, Illinois is much deeper and much more athletic then we were.  But they also had crispness in their game.  They were in better position to rebound, defend, shoot and pass.  This does not mean that I do no support this team...far from it.  I love this coach and quite honestly believe the sky is now the limit for this program.  But I will also call out this team if I felt they were not mentally, or emotionally ready to play the game.  I believe that to be the case against both Purdue and Illinois.  I still supported and yelled, up until the clock ran out.  And I was only one of maybe 3500 who did, while many, many others walked out early. 

huskercwg,

It's a philosphical discussion that I made personal (wasn't intended for you specifically btw)...which was a mistake in this case for sure as I have huge respect for you for example.

This kind of discussion can be dissected many different ways.   I will just restate that IMHO there are better explainations for what happened than they weren't ready to play.

I would 100 % agree that the team and coach cannot give themselves a pass or make excuses.  They have to keep fighting and believing.

By the way, I was right there with you to the end Tuesday night yelling and cheering right to the end.   Feeling like a flee on an elephant's back mind you, but still supporting our team.  I'm with you bro----lang

huskercwg,

It's a philosphical discussion that I made personal (wasn't intended for you specifically btw)...which was a mistake in this case for sure as I have huge respect for you for example.

This kind of discussion can be dissected many different ways.   I will just restate that IMHO there are better explainations for what happened than they weren't ready to play.

I would 100 % agree that the team and coach cannot give themselves a pass or make excuses.  They have to keep fighting and believing.

By the way, I was right there with you to the end Tuesday night yelling and cheering right to the end.   Feeling like a flee on an elephant's back mind you, but still supporting our team.  I'm with you bro----lang

Not a problem Lang...just a bit of frustration on my part as well.  We love the program and getting from the valley to the peak simply cannot come soon enough..all is well.