Something that should be brought up more

Something that’s rarely talked about when discussing the challenges that came with building project he took over.

Samuel McKewon @swmckewonOWH
Kudos to Nebraska hoops coach Tim Miles, who has brought his team's multi-year APR up to 985. When he took over it was 935.

Here's a look at Nebraska basketball's APR history:

2004-2005: 971

2005-2006: 938

2006-2007: 927

2007-2008: 930

2008-2009: 925

2009-2010: 945

2010-2011: 945

2011-2012: 935

2012-2013: 947

2013-2014: 950

2014-2015: 975

2015-2016: 985

(Sources: http://web1.ncaa.org/maps/aprRelease.jsp and http://www.cornnation.com/2017/5/10/15613212/nebraska-huskers-football-basketball-academic-progress-rate-2015-2016)

Some APR tidbits

Above is the entire history. This started in 2004-05.

The APR doesn't apply to walkons. It only applies to students receiving athletically related financial aid.

The standard has been increased from a minimum 4 year average of 900 in 2011-12  to 930 in 2015-16. Had the 930 standard been in effect in 2011-12, 99 teams would have received post season bans.

16 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Here's a look at Nebraska basketball's APR history:

2004-2005: 971

2005-2006: 938

2006-2007: 927

2007-2008: 930

2008-2009: 925

2009-2010: 945

2010-2011: 945

2011-2012: 935

2012-2013: 947

2013-2014: 950

2014-2015: 975

2015-2016: 985

(Sources: http://web1.ncaa.org/maps/aprRelease.jsp and http://www.cornnation.com/2017/5/10/15613212/nebraska-huskers-football-basketball-academic-progress-rate-2015-2016)

Here's a visual of the data (note that "2004" means the "2004-2005" season):

w+H8dA5DyssNQAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

This is sort of related but does anyone know if its in the plans to continue to grow the Lincoln Airport? The recent flights to/from ATL are great additions and it would be awesome if Lincoln could keep building on those. Are there any thoughts to bringing in the "cheaper" airlines (Southwest, Allegiant, Frontier, Spirit)? Me being based in Charlotte I'd obviously love for American to fly to LNK. I've flown to OMA and GRI on American, if American is willing to fly to GRI it most certainly should be able to fly to LNK. 

Assume the LNK airport would need expansion if any of the above happened though and I have no idea if that idea is wanted or acceptable to the citizens of Lincoln. But it definitely seems like it would help in getting these types of events to have more carriers/flights in and out on a daily basis.

2 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

This is sort of related but does anyone know if its in the plans to continue to grow the Lincoln Airport? The recent flights to/from ATL are great additions and it would be awesome if Lincoln could keep building on those. Are there any thoughts to bringing in the "cheaper" airlines (Southwest, Allegiant, Frontier, Spirit)? Me being based in Charlotte I'd obviously love for American to fly to LNK. I've flown to OMA and GRI on American, if American is willing to fly to GRI it most certainly should be able to fly to LNK. 

Assume the LNK airport would need expansion if any of the above happened though and I have no idea if that idea is wanted or acceptable to the citizens of Lincoln. But it definitely seems like it would help in getting these types of events to have more carriers/flights in and out on a daily basis.

The Lincoln airport received a $750,000 federal grant (revenue guarantee) for the LNK-ATL flight. Without that grant, this flight would not be an option (or at least at the time). I'm not sure what Lincoln's strategy is for growth, but I'm certain it's going to have to find investment from outside their own checkbooks to make it happen.

59 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

The Lincoln airport received a $750,000 federal grant (revenue guarantee) for the LNK-ATL flight. Without that grant, this flight would not be an option (or at least at the time). I'm not sure what Lincoln's strategy is for growth, but I'm certain it's going to have to find investment from outside their own checkbooks to make it happen.

Wish they would find a way to upgrade.  Make getting recruits in and out of Lincoln so much easier than having to use Omaha.

1 hour ago, huskercwg said:

They should merge the Omaha and Lincoln Airport, place it near the Platte River, and leverage the increase in traffic with more flights to more locations.  But neither city will ever allow that to happen.

The story of Dallas/Fort Worth is always interesting. For the sake of brevity, I'll just point you to the ever-so-reliable Wikipedia, which gives you a good enough overview of the airport's history (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas/Fort_Worth_International_Airport#History).

In short, Dallas proposed having a joint airport, but Fort Worth had other plans so both cities constructed their own airports (Meacham Field and Love Field). About 15 years later, there was funding to build a joint airport but that project was quickly abandoned when both cities couldn't come to an agreement. The proposed site then turned into an airfield during WWII, and the airport (GSW) was later bought by Fort Worth in hopes to compete with Love Field (12 miles away). The FAA refused to continue to fund the two separate airports, so a joint proposal was created and finally agreed upon by both cities to build an airport between the two cities. That airport is now the 11th busiest airport in the world by passenger traffic.

Moral of the story: Get with it, Nebraska. It's never too late to make a change. There's no reason a joint LNK/OMA airport can't become a Cincinnati/Charlotte/Salt Lake City type of hub for an airline. It just depends how many early morning feeder flights from surrounding areas the airport can service.

5 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

Omaha has sunk a boatload of $$$$ into Eppley Airfield.... re-location of Omaha's airport is not happening.

Shoot, Grand Island has spent the $$.

Real question is, will Lincoln go to the $$$ level?

Eppley's less than 10 minutes from downtown with little traffic. Might be the best airport setup in the country for a big city, and is one of the cards they play in bidding for NCAA events. They'd have no reason to want a regional airport.

On 5/11/2017 at 8:03 AM, hhcdimes said:

Some APR tidbits

Above is the entire history. This started in 2004-05.

The APR doesn't apply to walkons. It only applies to students receiving athletically related financial aid.

The standard has been increased from a minimum 4 year average of 900 in 2011-12  to 930 in 2015-16. Had the 930 standard been in effect in 2011-12, 99 teams would have received post season bans.

I know absolutely nothing about APR, but does our perpetual open scholarship that inevitably goes to a walk-on help? If so, how much?

11 hours ago, huskercwg said:

They should merge the Omaha and Lincoln Airport, place it near the Platte River, and leverage the increase in traffic with more flights to more locations.  But neither city will ever allow that to happen.

There's a sensible side to that argument.  In fact, GI/Hastings/Kearney for doing a joint project would have made even more sense.

Having said that, if Lincoln/Omaha would have done a joint project at the Platte, you would have seen urban sprawl like you've never seen before in an environmentally unique area, so really, I'm glad that didn't happen.  OK, back to BB.....

41 minutes ago, nebrasketball10 said:

I know absolutely nothing about APR, but does our perpetual open scholarship that inevitably goes to a walk-on help? If so, how much?

Here is how it works

Each student-athlete receiving athletically related financial aid earns one retention point for staying in school and one eligibility point for being academically eligible. A team’s total points are divided by the points possible and then multiplied by one thousand to equal the team’s Academic Progress Rate score.

It helps though I can't really say how much.  I don't think it makes the difference and I don't think APR is any motivation for not filling those scholarships.

It appears the NCAA is achieving their goal by implementing the APR and associated penalties.  A quick glance at the NCAA's site reveals APRs are going up almost across the board.  I like seeing that.

One change I think might need to be explored is whether they can make the 1 and done player somehow count against a team's APR.  It would help maybe spread that talent out a little more rather than concentrating it at Kentucky and a few other schools.

21 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

It helps though I can't really say how much.  I don't think it makes the difference and I don't think APR is any motivation for not filling those scholarships.

I knew it wasn't the motivation, I was just trying to figure out if it was a part of the reason the figure has improved so drastically under Miles. 

On 5/13/2017 at 7:44 AM, nebrasketball10 said:

I knew it wasn't the motivation, I was just trying to figure out if it was a part of the reason the figure has improved so drastically under Miles. 

I'd say a couple of things.  Limiting our JUCOs and international students probably helped.  JUCOs often times are JUCOs because they're not good students and international students can just leave and go home if they're just here to play basketball.  We probably emphasize the student part of student athlete as well with Miles aboard and with Eichorst