Filling Out the Roster

We still have two scholarships to fill. From what I've gathered, these players are most likely to fill those scholarships (in no particular order):

Tyler Maye, PG, 6-1, 170, Farmville, NC (http://247sports.com/player/tyler-maye-46040346)

Hans Brase, F, 6-8, 231 (Princeton grad transfer, 1 year remaining)

Akoy Agau, F, 6-8, 235 (Georgetown grad transfer, 1-2 years remaining)

Other possible targets(?):

Isaiah Poor Bear Chandler, F, 6-9, 260 (Omaha Central, recently decommitted from New Mexico)

Am I missing anyone? I need more reasons to check Twitter every 15 minutes!

Edited by dustystehl

Id say Maye and Brase are the only two real options at the moment with Brase being the #1 priority. We may in fact have cooled on Maye with the signing of Thomas Allen. I wouldnt mind giving Maye a shot and redshirting him so we have some added depth when Anton and ET graduate. But Miles might think we have a good shot at some nice '18 gaurds.

From what i can tell Akoy is just fan speculation and talk bc of the history. Before he announced his transfer he stated coming back to play at home wasnt going to happen. Not sure if we've been in contact.

Chandler is an interesting prospect. I know we have been in contact. Wouldnt mind taking a shot at him and giving him a RS year to get Big Ten ready.

5 minutes ago, khoock said:

Id say Maye and Brase are the only two real options at the moment with Brase being the #1 priority. We may in fact have cooled on Maye with the signing of Thomas Allen. I wouldnt mind giving Maye a shot and redshirting him so we have some added depth when Anton and ET graduate. But Miles might think we have a good shot at some nice '18 gaurds.

From what i can tell Akoy is just fan speculation and talk bc of the history. Before he announced his transfer he stated coming back to play at home wasnt going to happen. Not sure if we've been in contact.

Chandler is an interesting prospect. I know we have been in contact. Wouldnt mind taking a shot at him and giving him a RS year to get Big Ten ready.

Brase is priority numero uno, for sure.

And it does appear Maye's interest in Nebraska lessened when we signed Allen, but I wouldn't mind redshirting him, either. 24/7 Sports previously predicted Nebraska (100%), but they now have VCU (50%) in the mix.

I know Agau is mostly fan speculation and I saw his string of tweets back in March. But I will include him on my list until he signs elsewhere. Wishful thinking, I suppose...

Perhaps I'm putting too much into having a Nebraska kid on the roster, but Chandler has decent size. I'd like to see us give him a shot.

5 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

It would make for a better discussion to talk about what we think the needs are for filling out the roster as opposed to hashing out which of the 3-4 publicly known names.

Well, we definitely need another 4/5.

And, given our national ranks the past couple seasons, we need shooters.

Most importantly: NO MORE SLASHERS!

10 minutes ago, dustystehl said:

Well, we definitely need another 4/5.

And, given our national ranks the past couple seasons, we need shooters.

Most importantly: NO MORE SLASHERS!

I agree with part of this.  If we add another guy to play right now, the most important spot would be a beefy combo 4/5 type guy.

I think, with the way the roster is now, though, we can compete next season with what we have.  And I would feel comfortable adding a couple of transfers who would have to sit a year to become eligible.  Maybe take a 3 for 2 shooting guard and a 4 to play 3 post (i.e., a guard to join the class with Roby and Jordy, and a post to join the class with Thomas Allen and Akenten.)

We do need shooters, but I think the newcomers will provide a lot more of that than what we had last year.

As to your comment about no more slashers, I disagree.  Tai Webster's ability to get to the rim won the game at Maryland.  You need shooters but you also need guys who can get to the rim.  It's the guys who can beat their defenders and force help who are able to make the kick-out passes to shooters who end up being wide open as a result.  So, yes, we need shooters for our slashers to kick to, but we need slashers also. 

What we really need is balance between slashers and shooters and, sadly, we haven't had a lot of that during Miles' tenure.  The one exception being the year we had Gallegos and Pitchford demanding attention on the perimeter and Shields and Petteway getting to the rim.  And look what happened that season.

Edited by Norm Peterson

49 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

As to your comment about no more slashers, I disagree.  Tai Webster's ability to get to the rim won the game at Maryland.  You need shooters but you also need guys who can get to the rim.  It's the guys who can beat their defenders and force help who are able to make the kick-out passes to shooters who end up being wide open as a result.  So, yes, we need shooters for our slashers to kick to, but we need slashers also. 

What we really need is balance between slashers and shooters and, sadly, we haven't had a lot of that during Miles' tenure.  The one exception being the year we had Gallegos and Pitchford demanding attention on the perimeter and Shields and Petteway getting to the rim.  And look what happened that season.

"NO MORE SLASHERS" may be a bit harsh. But since our shooting has been SO BAD, I just want us to load up on shooters.

I really like the offense Michigan ran last year: Walton at the top of the key, everybody else spaced out on the three-point line. They had a lot of good shooters and found a system that worked. Walton was the PERFECT guy to play point in that offense, but Watson could be that type of player for us.

In today's game, if you can't shoot the three, you're not going to win very many games. We haven't had good shooters and our record reflects that.

2 minutes ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

Molinari says #Nebrasketball may add one more scholarship player, but not two. Will save one scholarship for next recruiting class #Huskers

I figured we would.  No sense in using it just to use it and we have the pieces if we can add one more guy... may even have the pieces now.  Smart as we have an extra scholie to offer and can look at the mid-year transfer market again.

9 minutes ago, TimSmiles said:

a lot hinges on whether or not copeland is eligible. if copeland can't play until january, we are going to need another power forward.

Copeland will be eligible by mid-December at the latest.  Even if he loses his application for a medical thing, he becomes eligible immediately upon the end of the fall academic term at his current institution.  Nebraska's graduation is on Saturday around December 16.  Whatever the day would be.  That Saturday.  As soon as we complete our commencement exercises, he's eligible.  So, if there was a game that night, he could play in it. 

That's how I understand it, anyway.