Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
huskercwg

The Isaac Copeland watch

Recommended Posts

Great points everyone!  I see a couple different things in this whole ordeal.

 

1.  I would much rather hear the he is recovering fine, already doing some full workouts, and is getting back into the swing of things VS. He can play right away, but the back is still an issue.

 

2.  I think it is much more vital that he is here for the last 2/3 than the first 1/3.  Would I love to have him for both?  Of course!  But if I had to choose between the two, I could take the last 2/3.

 

3.  I honestly do not think the team is going to struggle as much as some think without Copeland.  Yes we lost Ed and Mike J, but we have Jordy and a nice little backup with Okeke who we know both will play right away.  I think having Copeland out at the beginning of the year will force someone to step up (Jack, Nana, Roby, Ect.) and that could lead to great things when Copeland actually comes back.

 

4.  I am not saying that not having him to start the season will not hurt.  I just think that we are a decent team who can win a few and have a few surprises even without Copeland.  With him... well that would just be golden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I'd rather the team know that now, and be able to game plan around the group of eligible players we do have.  At least this didn't drag into October when pre-season practices are in full swing.

 

If we happen to have some early season success, it will be interesting to see how the chemistry of the team is affected by Copeland chewing up playing time second semester.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait...Andrew White set a season record for 3's...5 more than McNamara??  While his stats, and Syracuse's accomplishments weren't jaw-dropping, that's an impressive statistic. Didn't McNamara have the equivalent of 12 extra games played when Syracuse beat UConn that year? ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, unl said:

Wait...Andrew White set a season record for 3's...5 more than McNamara??  While his stats, and Syracuse's accomplishments weren't jaw-dropping, that's an impressive statistic. Didn't McNamara have the equivalent of 12 extra games played when Syracuse beat UConn that year? ;) 

 

Not so underscore AWIII's achievement in this category, but I feel like he (or Boeheim) picked his poison at Syracuse.

 

He did play an average of 7.5 more minutes a game than he did at Nebraska and had far more three-point attempts. But if the one game I saw him play in person last year closely aligns to how he played all season, he accomplished this record by not developing his weak NBA deficiencies. He lacked defense (i.e. often times waiting out by the Syracuse hoop during free throws), spent nearly all his time hovering around the three-point line on offense, and going for quantity over quality in his stats categories.

 

I'm no NBA scout expert, but those are just my two novice cents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

 

Not so underscore AWIII's achievement in this category, but I feel like he (or Boeheim) picked his poison at Syracuse.

 

He did play an average of 7.5 more minutes a game than he did at Nebraska and had far more three-point attempts. But if the one game I saw him play in person last year closely aligns to how he played all season, he accomplished this record by not developing his weak NBA deficiencies. He lacked defense (i.e. often times waiting out by the Syracuse hoop during free throws), spent nearly all his time hovering around the three-point line on offense, and going for quantity over quality in his stats categories.

 

I'm no NBA scout expert, but those are just my two novice cents.

 

Oh, I'm good with all that. It's just a weird statistic to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TimSmiles said:

it's official now. not eligible for the start of the season.

 

hope roby and jack are ready to play power forward.

 

Are you basing that on the article?

Regardless of our chances it's not actually "official" until we are denied by the NCAA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

 

Are you basing that on the article?

Regardless of our chances it's not actually "official" until we are denied by the NCAA

there's still a chance of getting the appeal, but does not seem likely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whatever happens with Copeland, I will be cheering on the huskers and look forward to seeing what improvements the rest of the team has made from last year. Obviously we would all love to have him eligible form the start of the season, but either way I think we have an improved group of talented young guys and I am excited to see what they can do this year! I think Roby, Jordy and Glynn are the core of our team and the addition of the new guys and some other players that have been here for a few years will make for a great season! I know some on this board think we have to make the big dance or the season is lost. Personally I would love to see that happen, but if we can make a deep run in the NIT I would be very happy with that too. I guess what I am saying is Go Big Red!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bleujay said:

what could possibly be the hold up? man, the ncaa is awful with these situations... is there something you guys don't know about isaac's case? this is baffling to me

 

No inside knowledge, but it is possible this whole situation has been delayed due to the medical opinion/documentation.  If I recall correctly, the basis of Copeland's appeal is that Georgetown had him playing while injured.  If that is the case, Nebraska must not only show that Copeland was injured and should not have played but also provide some kind of basis why Copeland was allowed to play.  That type of information requires time to prepare and even more time to review.  The NCAA knows the Copeland decision could create future precedent for other cases, and I understand why they are being cautious.  Expect a decision before the start of the season (or shortly thereafter).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Donkey said:

 

No inside knowledge, but it is possible this whole situation has been delayed due to the medical opinion/documentation.  If I recall correctly, the basis of Copeland's appeal is that Georgetown had him playing while injured.  If that is the case, Nebraska must not only show that Copeland was injured and should not have played but also provide some kind of basis why Copeland was allowed to play.  That type of information requires time to prepare and even more time to review.  The NCAA knows the Copeland decision could create future precedent for other cases, and I understand why they are being cautious.  Expect a decision before the start of the season (or shortly thereafter).  

It's also going to take some admission from Georgetown that they played him while injured and that's going to be tough to get from them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CrazyforNUHOOPS said:

It's also going to take some admission from Georgetown that they played him while injured and that's going to be tough to get from them. 

...then again maybe not.  The Head Coach at that time is no longer head coach.  He may be motivated to help out one of his ex-players.  Then again, Thompson may not have any say in the process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, huskercwg said:

...then again maybe not.  The Head Coach at that time is no longer head coach.  He may be motivated to help out one of his ex-players.  Then again, Thompson may not have any say in the process.

Medical staff is the same though. 

Edited by CrazyforNUHOOPS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CrazyforNUHOOPS said:

It's also going to take some admission from Georgetown that they played him while injured and that's going to be tough to get from them. 

 

Even if it was proven that there was a misdiagnosis by Georgetown (willfully or not), it would not be very likely that the appeal for immediate eligibility would be won.  The rules for midyear transfers are punitive because the NCAA wants to deter players from transferring in December.  I'd be surprised if they would be willing to grant anyone a waiver like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, khoock said:

Just curious, if Copeland is ineligible to start the season does that also include the exhibition game?

 

Wasnt sure since it isnt an official game.

 

That's an excellent question.  If memory serves me, the answer would be no.

 

A guy who is contemplating redshirting can play and still choose to redshirt.  But a guy who is ineligible at the time due to transferring would not be able to play.

 

So, James Palmer last year didn't play in whatever exhibition games.  Terran, Walter, Anton, they didn't play the year they transferred.

 

Not exactly the same situation, but I'm going with no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×