The Isaac Copeland watch

5 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

That must be a lot of rain. What are whales doing in the rain forests?

Since all the polar ice caps have completely melted, they've joined the polar bears in the rain forests looking for baby seals to eat.  Needless to say, the monkeys are a little nervous about these new developments......

57 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

As a marine biologist, I would not assume the whale was struck by a tree in the forest. The first thing to do is check the blowhole for a golf ball ...and did that make your Tuesday, Art Vandalay?

As a really Fisheries Biologist, I just want to say that is funny as hell and I wish I could give you more up arrows for it.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Interesting, unfortunate, but not the same issue as we have here with Copeland.  Just stating so that there's no confusion about it.

Oh for sure. Interesting in the context of an NCAA denial. Probably a good reason that NU is taking its time in preparing the case for Isaac Copeland.

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Interesting, unfortunate, but not the same issue as we have here with Copeland.  Just stating so that there's no confusion about it.

To recap, in this case the player qualified for one medical redshirt year and one year with a required redshirt due to the transfer rule, with no injury involved that year.  If someone has two years where they would have had to sit with medical problems, the sixth year is pretty much automatic, but if one of the years is just a regular redshirt year they generally don't grant a waiver.

In Copeland's case, if he had played the first semester for Georgetown and then gotten hurt, he would have no grounds for a waiver at all to get first semester eligibility.  He would still get the year back as a medical redshirt, but being a medical redshirt or a regular redshirt and transferring at mid-semester still generally makes you ineligible until the second semester of the next season.  There may be exceptions where a waiver was granted but I don't know of any.  That's why Nebraska is stressing the angle that he played with the back injury when he really shouldn't have even been playing, as the grounds to get the waiver.  I'm not sure that's a very strong case, but then the case for getting Tanner Lee a sixth year wasn't real strong either.

So, Dead Dog, you're saying if he stayed at G'town after going down with his injury, he gets the year back. 

If he doesn't get hurt, transfers, and then sits the whole year, he's eligible right away.

But he can't use the medical redshirt year as a transfer redshirt year.  Absent some extraordinary circumstance.

That might be so, but it makes no sense to penalize a kid in that way.  If he should get the year back at G'town despite playing 7 games, it makes no sense not to let him have that year back and transfer. 

But I don't make the rules, obviously.  If I made the rules, Roburt Sallie would have been a Husker.

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

So, Dead Dog, you're saying if he stayed at G'town after going down with his injury, he gets the year back. 

If he doesn't get hurt, transfers, and then sits the whole year, he's eligible right away.

But he can't use the medical redshirt year as a transfer redshirt year.  Absent some extraordinary circumstance.

That might be so, but it makes no sense to penalize a kid in that way.  If he should get the year back at G'town despite playing 7 games, it makes no sense not to let him have that year back and transfer. 

But I don't make the rules, obviously.  If I made the rules, Roburt Sallie would have been a Husker.

And.... And.... And.... Nebraska automatically gets to make the NCAA Tournament every year.

And if it isn't too much to ask Mr. Rules Maker Man.... Can we also be seeded 4th or higher every year?

Thanks!  I'll hang up and listen.  :D

As I understand it (and as convoluted as the rules are, take that for what it's worth):

He played three games the first semester at Louisville, was limited by injuries, and was going to sit the rest of the year as a medical redshirt if he had stayed at Louisville.  So it counts as a redshirt year, meaning that instead of being a junior the next season he would still be a sophomore.  So then he transfers to Georgetown at the end of the semester, and he would be eligible the next season at the end of the semester.  (I don't think he was granted a waiver for immediate eligibility.)  But that didn't matter because he tore an ACL, so was out with an injury for a second season which pretty much guarantees him a sixth year if he wants it.

Echinique with Creighton was similar I think - he'd redshirted at Rutgers (I'm thinking it was an injury but not entirely sure), played a year and the first semester of the next, got hurt (giving him a medical redshirt), then was eligible to play after the end of the first semester the next year.  He was then granted a sixth year after his senior year.  Grand Gibbs also got a transfer redshirt year counted as a medical redshirt year somehow, I don't remember all of the details to be honest because all Creighton related media reports make me ill.

The thing that doesn't make sense is that a guy who gets a medical redshirt after playing a few games in a season can never transfer without losing a year of eligibility unless he was also injured during the transfer year.  In which case, he gets a 6th year.  Maybe. 

But, you could take a medical redshirt and transfer if you didn't play any games.  And you'd be immediately eligible the start of the next season after sitting out.  OR you could take a medical redshirt and not transfer and get back that year of eligibility.  But you can't play in a few games, suffer a season-ending injury, and transfer, because then you're treated like any other mid-year transfer. 

Do I have that right?

If so, it's a stupid rule.

Edited by Norm Peterson

2 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

As I understand it (and as convoluted as the rules are, take that for what it's worth):

He played three games the first semester at Louisville, was limited by injuries, and was going to sit the rest of the year as a medical redshirt if he had stayed at Louisville.  So it counts as a redshirt year, meaning that instead of being a junior the next season he would still be a sophomore.  So then he transfers to Georgetown at the end of the semester, and he would be eligible the next season at the end of the semester.  (I don't think he was granted a waiver for immediate eligibility.)  But that didn't matter because he tore an ACL, so was out with an injury for a second season which pretty much guarantees him a sixth year if he wants it.

Echinique with Creighton was similar I think - he'd redshirted at Rutgers (I'm thinking it was an injury but not entirely sure), played a year and the first semester of the next, got hurt (giving him a medical redshirt), then was eligible to play after the end of the first semester the next year.  He was then granted a sixth year after his senior year.  Grand Gibbs also got a transfer redshirt year counted as a medical redshirt year somehow, I don't remember all of the details to be honest because all Creighton related media reports make me ill.

One of us is confused because I was talking about Copeland and I didn't realize Copeland had played at Louisville before transferring to G'town.

Edited by Norm Peterson

One of us is confused because I was talking about Copeland and I didn't realize Copeland had played at Louisville before transferring to G'town.

Looks like I was the confused one.  Damn this early onset dementia, guess I shouldn't read two threads at once.  Yes I was referencing the Agau case and how he gets a sixth year.

In Copeland's case, if a player transfers at semester after an injury that would cause a medical redshirt year, he does get that year of eligibility back.  So without the medical redshirt, Copeland would be eligible at semester and he would be a senior in eligibility.  Normally a player transferring midseason loses a year - If he transfers midseason as a sophomore he's eligible after the first semester the next year as a junior.  That's why it usually doesn't make much sense to transfer midseason.  If a player is redshirting already or qualifies as a medical redshirt, he does not lose that year of eligibility, but is still not eligible until the end of the first semester.

That's why a waiver needs to be applied for to play the first semester, much like a waiver is required to get a sixth year in the case of injuries, or a waiver is required to get immediate eligibility after transferring at the end of the school year in the cases of schools on probation, family medical events, or whatever.

• 1 month later...