Hello? It's too quiet in here

2 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

The life of a Pirates fan.  I love MLB and college hoops but those last couple quotes show what is wrong with MLB.  A team like Pittsburgh has to trade off their top players before their contracts are up to get something for them because they can't afford (or at least that is what the owner says) them and a team like the Cubs can just fill what they need by putting up the big bucks.  Two teams in the same division with much different economic backgrounds. The same thing is filtering into college sports as well with Nike U on the west coast and all the new facilities being built and endless recruiting budgets (legal or illegal) at some schools.

Been saying this for a long time.  Baseball needs to look at what the NFL has done with a salary cap and follow suit (other than the players union won't let them) to level the playing field.  Why the small market teams do bring this to the table every year at the winter meetings until it's done is beyond me.  

1 hour ago, colhusker said:

Been saying this for a long time.  Baseball needs to look at what the NFL has done with a salary cap and follow suit (other than the players union won't let them) to level the playing field.  Why the small market teams do bring this to the table every year at the winter meetings until it's done is beyond me.  

You hit the nail on the head.  The players union in MLB is way to strong. 

13 hours ago, Navin R. Johnson said:

The life of a Pirates fan.  I love MLB and college hoops but those last couple quotes show what is wrong with MLB.  A team like Pittsburgh has to trade off their top players before their contracts are up to get something for them because they can't afford (or at least that is what the owner says) them and a team like the Cubs can just fill what they need by putting up the big bucks.  Two teams in the same division with much different economic backgrounds. The same thing is filtering into college sports as well with Nike U on the west coast and all the new facilities being built and endless recruiting budgets (legal or illegal) at some schools.

They could afford, the Owner just dosnt want to pony up, to be great. Who knows, Bell seems good, Cole hasn't been dominate so maybe he won't command has much as I think.

• 1 month later...