Leigha Brown is 'N'

AuroranHusker

14 hours ago, Bugeaters1 said:

But need bigs

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That's okay we are going to run those fat big girls to death these next few years.  Can't rebound or play much D when your only at half court.

Didn't we see that somewhere this year...:mellow:

27 minutes ago, Silverbacked1 said:

That's okay we are going to run those fat big girls to death these next few years.  Can't rebound or play much D when your only at half court.

Didn't we see that somewhere this year...:mellow:

We'll see this next year if that's Coaches philosophy.  We're going to be real guard heavy, so it pretty much has to be run and gun. Will be interesting to see if we have enough numbers... skilled enough... to be able to run all game long. But we will have more experience than this last year for sure.

We do have to rebound on the defensive end...so can we do it ??

Rebuilding.....what a pain

Edited by redsteve

Contrary to what others have said or believe, I actually like how the 2018 recruiting class is coming together. Sure we need a big girl or two but that's what we need as of right now for this upcoming season.  As far as I can tell this 2018 class has touched on the positions that will be critical two years from now and going forward from that season. We got one of our future big's out of Minnesota in Kayla Mershon 6'3 ProspectNation has her at a 4-Star and the 86th best player in the class. ESPN has her pegged as the 9th best post this coming year.

Ashlyn Verbeek 6'2 (whom I'm really high on and many east of the Missouri River are now saying she could most likely the best player to come out of Iowa next season,) is playing with the All Iowa Attack this summer and is getting exposed to recruiting services, thus ESPN has given her a 4-Star rating and has her ranked now as the 5th best post in the nation and 50th best player in the whole class. ProspectNation has finally got her ranked as 3-1/2 Star

Leigha Brown 6'1 hasn't been in front of too many recruiting services but from videos I've seen she's deadly from behind the arc. And her coaches are stressing that she's an excellent rebounder.

For a team that has slipped to dismal debts lately, those three alone should come into NU in pretty good shape and improve the team going forward.

I think there's room for another verbal in this class, but we'll just have to wait and see. 

1 hour ago, Row6Seat10 said:

Contrary to what others have said or believe, I actually like how the 2018 recruiting class is coming together. Sure we need a big girl or two but that's what we need as of right now for this upcoming season.  As far as I can tell this 2018 class has touched on the positions that will be critical two years from now and going forward from that season. We got one of our future big's out of Minnesota in Kayla Mershon 6'3 ProspectNation has her at a 4-Star and the 86th best player in the class. ESPN has her pegged as the 9th best post this coming year.

Ashlyn Verbeek 6'2 (whom I'm really high on and many east of the Missouri River are now saying she could most likely the best player to come out of Iowa next season,) is playing with the All Iowa Attack this summer and is getting exposed to recruiting services, thus ESPN has given her a 4-Star rating and has her ranked now as the 5th best post in the nation and 50th best player in the whole class. ProspectNation has finally got her ranked as 3-1/2 Star

Leigha Brown 6'1 hasn't been in front of too many recruiting services but from videos I've seen she's deadly from behind the arc. And her coaches are stressing that she's an excellent rebounder.

For a team that has slipped to dismal debts lately, those three alone should come into NU in pretty good shape and improve the team going forward.

I think there's room for another verbal in this class, but we'll just have to wait and see. 

I agree totally with your analysis.  Thanks for posting and saving me the time to summarize what I believe a lot of people are over looking.

5 hours ago, Row6Seat10 said:

Or they could be busts as well, As we all know stars don't mean a thing. I just hope that those girls work on their speed in the coming year and half.

I agree that we're likely going to run up and down the court next season.  We certainly have the players to do that.  If Rachel Blackburn is totally healthy, she will be a solid presence down low.  Grace is really a three, but I thought she came a long way down the stretch last season.  With a year under her belt, I expect her to provide some solid minutes.  Adding Janay and Bria will help the uptempo a lot.  Coach loves to run and gun, but didn't have the personnel to really do that last season.  I can't wait for the season to start.  I think we are going to surprise some folks!

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 3:18 PM, Canadian4NU said:

Looking at Leigha's other offers,

Xavier, Western Michigan, IUPUI & Belmont I can see why she chose NE a few days after she was offered. Hopefully she surprises people. 

She'll surprise you.  I've watched her for many years - she's a complete player, a coach's player and she makes her teammates better.

11 hours ago, Fastbreaker said:

This is the first time I have agreed with KearneyMan, but he is right.

Former Washington men's bb coach Marv Harshman was quoted as saying "quick guys get tired.  Tall guys don't shrink."  We'd really better be able to outrun our opponents if we don't find a big as a transfer.  Seems like a tall task, pardon the pun.

6 minutes ago, mwm89 said:

Former Washington men's bb coach Marv Harshman was quoted as saying "quick guys get tired.  Tall guys don't shrink."  We'd really better be able to outrun our opponents if we don't find a big as a transfer.  Seems like a tall task, pardon the pun.

Problem is, to be able to run you have to be able to rebound, and not be taking the ball out of the net on a lot of possessions.  Nicea, Janay and Bria may create some opportunities to run off of turnovers, but rebounding and stops in the half court will be a challenge with this group.  

14 hours ago, Fastbreaker said:

This is the first time I have agreed with KearneyMan, but he is right.

I am not being argumentative here just stating a quick point.  Rachel, Grace, Maddie and Darien are all as tall and three cases taller than Kelsey Griffen, Corey Montgomery, Jordan Hooper and Anna Deforge.  It is not always about how big you are, it's sometimes how big you play.