Jump to content
HuskerFever

Offseason Potpourri

Recommended Posts

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-miles-should-understand-and-even-embrace-intense/article_2bcec20c-2440-5872-9d91-30bbd98fff94.html

 

In making reference to scrutiny of his program this past season, the sixth-year Nebraska men's basketball coach noted how challenging it can be "to keep young people together in a fishbowl like we're in here, quite frankly."

"When I got the guy (Husker assistant coach Michael Lewis) who played at Indiana telling me, 'I don't know how you do it here, this is nuts …'" said Miles, his voice trailing. "The forces that pull a team apart are 10 times greater than the forces you're trying to (use) to keep it together."

"If the culture in a program gets bad enough, my ability to lead is severely altered," he added.

Miles is right when he says media (and fan) attention on his program is rather intense. After all, Husker athletics unites our state. But is scrutiny of Miles' program more intense than scrutiny of Indiana basketball in the Hoosier State? I have difficulty believing that.

 

Has anyone here ever visited Insidethehall.com or followed some of the coverage of Indiana basketball? Does it seem possible that Indiana basketball, which seems like their version of Nebraska football, is scrutinized less by the media and fans than Nebraska basketball.  Yeah, that doesn't seem right.

Do you think Miles just made up a Lewis quote?  Maybe.  That seems like an odd quote to fabricate on the spot.

 

I have no idea what question(s) led up to this quote but is it possible that Miles was talking about a combination of internal and external scrutinization? Given I don't know what led up to this quote from Miles that's what naturally occurs to me.  What sort of internal issues/red tape occur at Nebraska that makes Michael Lewis say "this is nuts".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hhcdimes said:

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-miles-should-understand-and-even-embrace-intense/article_2bcec20c-2440-5872-9d91-30bbd98fff94.html

 

In making reference to scrutiny of his program this past season, the sixth-year Nebraska men's basketball coach noted how challenging it can be "to keep young people together in a fishbowl like we're in here, quite frankly."

"When I got the guy (Husker assistant coach Michael Lewis) who played at Indiana telling me, 'I don't know how you do it here, this is nuts …'" said Miles, his voice trailing. "The forces that pull a team apart are 10 times greater than the forces you're trying to (use) to keep it together."

"If the culture in a program gets bad enough, my ability to lead is severely altered," he added.

Miles is right when he says media (and fan) attention on his program is rather intense. After all, Husker athletics unites our state. But is scrutiny of Miles' program more intense than scrutiny of Indiana basketball in the Hoosier State? I have difficulty believing that.

 

Has anyone here ever visited Insidethehall.com or followed some of the coverage of Indiana basketball? Does it seem possible that Indiana basketball, which seems like their version of Nebraska football, is scrutinized less by the media and fans than Nebraska basketball.  Yeah, that doesn't seem right.

Do you think Miles just made up a Lewis quote?  Maybe.  That seems like an odd quote to fabricate on the spot.

 

I have no idea what question(s) led up to this quote but is it possible that Miles was talking about a combination of internal and external scrutinization? Given I don't know what led up to this quote from Miles that's what naturally occurs to me.  What sort of internal issues/red tape occur at Nebraska that makes Michael Lewis say "this is nuts".

 

Things change quick.  Miles went from "whoooweee, only show in the state baby" to "attention on his program is rather intense."  I'm guessing he won't mind if he starts winning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

externally, i think the combination of success and strive for more as a program that our fan base desires and wants vs the reality that as a program our history indicates we should expect otherwise. Now i dont think for a second that we as fans should alter our expectations, we should hold all major sports programs to a higher standard, because for all intense and purposes we our the only major show in town. We have no pro teams to distract us when were having a bad season. In addition, the nature of casual fans of Husker Bball vs the hardcore ones can be disheartening, the hardcore understand the struggles, know the players, cheer what we view as great success in recruiting and development and while can be harsh critics, are patient as we know what the uphill climb the program faces vs the casual fans who appear after the football season ends, but have some of the loudest voices, crazy expectations and booster backing. 

 

Internally, we are a football school that wants to develop into a basketball/football school, we have all the nice toys, and things to show to recruits, but just pure speculation i wonder if Miles wants more public commitment from SE, i dont think he'll ever get it, but i wonder if he feels slightly slighted that SE shows his face and offers more public support for Riley and leaves Tim in the wind on some things, and than will make a comment after its mostly too late to help things.

Edited by bobcat402

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-miles-should-understand-and-even-embrace-intense/article_2bcec20c-2440-5872-9d91-30bbd98fff94.html

 

In making reference to scrutiny of his program this past season, the sixth-year Nebraska men's basketball coach noted how challenging it can be "to keep young people together in a fishbowl like we're in here, quite frankly."

"When I got the guy (Husker assistant coach Michael Lewis) who played at Indiana telling me, 'I don't know how you do it here, this is nuts …'" said Miles, his voice trailing. "The forces that pull a team apart are 10 times greater than the forces you're trying to (use) to keep it together."

"If the culture in a program gets bad enough, my ability to lead is severely altered," he added.

Miles is right when he says media (and fan) attention on his program is rather intense. After all, Husker athletics unites our state. But is scrutiny of Miles' program more intense than scrutiny of Indiana basketball in the Hoosier State? I have difficulty believing that.

 

Has anyone here ever visited Insidethehall.com or followed some of the coverage of Indiana basketball? Does it seem possible that Indiana basketball, which seems like their version of Nebraska football, is scrutinized less by the media and fans than Nebraska basketball.  Yeah, that doesn't seem right.

Do you think Miles just made up a Lewis quote?  Maybe.  That seems like an odd quote to fabricate on the spot.

 

I have no idea what question(s) led up to this quote but is it possible that Miles was talking about a combination of internal and external scrutinization? Given I don't know what led up to this quote from Miles that's what naturally occurs to me.  What sort of internal issues/red tape occur at Nebraska that makes Michael Lewis say "this is nuts".

 

Well, first of all, Michael Lewis hasn't been *at* Indiana in 15 years. The dawn of the Social Media Era had not yet taken hold. The "this is nuts" would certainly be applicable to the Hoosier hoops fandom, and increasingly the gridiron IU crowd even.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AuroranHusker said:

 

Well, first of all, Michael Lewis hasn't been *at* Indiana in 15 years. The dawn of the Social Media Era had not yet taken hold. The "this is nuts" would certainly be applicable to the Hoosier hoops fandom, and increasingly the gridiron IU crowd even.

 

That's a good point. Butler is obviously a basketball school, but it's not Indiana.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Handy Johnson said:

We should all just relax, let out a collective *sigh*, and remind ourselves of this: Jacobson and Morrow were no Antoine Carr and Cliff Levingston. We will be fine.

 

Antoine Carr, Cliff Levingston, and Xavier McDaniel.  No mid major team will ever have a front line that good again.  Primarily because the NCAA won't let anybody that's not a big money school put together that kind of talent without it leading to a probation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

 

Antoine Carr, Cliff Levingston, and Xavier McDaniel.  No mid major team will ever have a front line that good again.  Primarily because the NCAA won't let anybody that's not a big money school put together that kind of talent without it leading to a probation.

and in the backcourt Aubrey Sherrod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JBARGIE said:

 

"HuskerOnline.com was told last week that if Nebraska and St. John’s were to play a second time, the matchup in Orlando would be considered an “exempt” game and would not count toward either team’s final 2017-18 record."

 

I wonder if that will end up helping us or hurting us should that occur.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

 

"HuskerOnline.com was told last week that if Nebraska and St. John’s were to play a second time, the matchup in Orlando would be considered an “exempt” game and would not count toward either team’s final 2017-18 record."

 

I wonder if that will end up helping us or hurting us should that occur.

Yeah.  I hate that.   Frustrating though that the people scheduling the Gavitt games couldn't work around this 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

 

"HuskerOnline.com was told last week that if Nebraska and St. John’s were to play a second time, the matchup in Orlando would be considered an “exempt” game and would not count toward either team’s final 2017-18 record."

 

I wonder if that will end up helping us or hurting us should that occur.

 

Depends on who wins ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Washut had a write-up on Miles' appearance on Sports Nightly last night.  If you missed SN, you can read Washut's recap.

 

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/miles-gives-updates-on-copeland-recruiting-and-coaching-vacancies

 

Basically, they've got people working on the Copeland appeal.  Sounds like they're optimistic, but ready in the event things don't go our way.

 

There's no plan to fill the two open scholarship spots at this point, but never say never.  Just not looking at anyone in particular right now.  If we don't add anyone else, Miles feels pretty good about the roster and the players we have and thinks we'll be pretty good.  Post-season team.  (Maybe he's afraid to jinx it and say "NCAA tourney team.")

 

Thomas Allen is a stud and they expect him to come in right away and help.  Good complement to Glynn.  He ran into Bill Self recently who told him he got a good one.

 

Everyone who was hurt is healing on schedule, including both Copeland and Gill.  Both should be healed up and ready to go by fall practice.

 

Staff vacancies are still up in the air.  He's not quite sure if he'll fill Ali's spot or how he'll reshuffle responsibilities.  He does hope to exploit Teddy Owens' recruiting connections in Florida because he'll be coaching a team with D1 talent on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×