Offseason Potpourri

18 minutes ago, Swan88 said:

So, one of Nebraska's assistant coaches is interviewed for a head coaching position at a Big East school.  But he doesn't get the job.

So . . . that's a positive all the way around, right?

And, of course, that's a logical opportunity for a local sports reporter to write about, "Rashon Burno, who left after 50 days to go to Arizona State." 

I'm on the fence.  It's positive in that he was in the running and interviewed, but negative because he didn't actually get the job.  Positive that the staff is going to stay intact this year, but getting guys head coaching jobs should always be the goal.

1 hour ago, 49r said:

Also, the little tidbit about Tai being talked about as a potential late second round guy was news to me.  Is there an actual legit shot of this happening?  Would be pretty great if so!

i think its possible, he's getting a lot of workouts, and teams like that he plays a role, and isnt a project to develop, he can contribute real NBA minutes, and he has vast experience playing at the highest levels against pro competition. 

On 6/5/2017 at 2:49 PM, jimmykc said:

Amazing what you can learn on Wikipedia. And some of it may be true. Thad played for a high school team called the Hoopston Cornjerkers.And he is already listed as the ex OSU coach. And he isn't dead. And he is a protege of the master, Barry Collier. Perhaps the master can now be coaxed out of retirement??

The Cornjerkers of Hoopeston, the sweet corn capitol.

Both TP and Tai have a decent shot at the NBA.  They both seem willing to accept roles on teams, and that can be a rare trait in the (sometimes) selfish life of NBA players. 

I heard a comment the other day by a talking head that sort of struck a nerve.  The comment was that with players today "it is all about the money."  As a result, they are more willing to move on to new teams simply due to economics.  That saddens me more than a little.  Perhaps it why I enjoy HS and college sports as it is more about the love of the game.  I am not saying that is the case all the time, but it seems to be a reoccurring theme.  A partial result of that is that enjoying a game, in person, is becoming harder and harder for the common man due to ticket costs, concession costs and so forth. 

1 hour ago, huskercwg said:

Both TP and Tai have a decent shot at the NBA.  They both seem willing to accept roles on teams, and that can be a rare trait in the (sometimes) selfish life of NBA players. 

I heard a comment the other day by a talking head that sort of struck a nerve.  The comment was that with players today "it is all about the money."  As a result, they are more willing to move on to new teams simply due to economics.  That saddens me more than a little.  Perhaps it why I enjoy HS and college sports as it is more about the love of the game.  I am not saying that is the case all the time, but it seems to be a reoccurring theme.  A partial result of that is that enjoying a game, in person, is becoming harder and harder for the common man due to ticket costs, concession costs and so forth. 

I understand the point but it's no different in college either as look at the transfer rate.  Pro players switch teams for more money or a shot at championships.  College players switch teams for more playing time, better situation, shot at championship, etc.   The only difference is they aren't getting paid but yet they still jump around from team to team.  So not sure it's about the love of the game any more in college than it is at the Pro Level. 

High school and junior high school kids jump too. There are a lot of choices today for EVERYTHING. I can't even figure out what kind of Coke to drink. It's not some giant character flaw with kids today any more than the giant character flaws by previous generations. It's human nature to react to the conditions around them. It's also human nature to decry the decline of civilization.

Now I'm going to have a Coke Zero with "Chuck" on the can. That is what I choose to do today, but I may get Diet Coke with "Charles" on it tomorrow.

Johnny Trueblood and Tanner Borchardt BOTH return to the program after being walkons and leaving the first time.  Can anyone ever remember that happening before with any walk on ?  Now we have two that have done it.  I'm glad they are back, number 1.  Number 2, I'm going to be a glass more that half full guy on this and say that this is a positive statement about Miles and the program.

Edited by lang

9 hours ago, lang said:

Johnny Trueblood and Tanner Borchardt BOTH return to the program after being walkons and leaving the first time.  Can anyone ever remember that happening before with any walk on ?  Now we have two that have done it.  I'm glad they are back, number 1.  Number 2, I'm going to be a glass more that half full guy on this and say that this is a positive statement about Miles and the program.

Occurs to me we might have had an overbearing assistant during their freshman year.

Johnny Trueblood and Tanner Borchardt BOTH return to the program after being walkons and leaving the first time.  Can anyone ever remember that happening before with any walk on ?

I am really glad they are both on board - but also confused.  I thought that after Tanner joined the team again last year mid-season that it was stated he was given/or was to be given a scholarship?  

Am I right on that - or did I just dream it??

Just now, Rachoo said:

Johnny Trueblood and Tanner Borchardt BOTH return to the program after being walkons and leaving the first time.  Can anyone ever remember that happening before with any walk on ?

I am really glad they are both on board - but also confused.  I thought that after Tanner joined the team again last year mid-season that it was stated he was given/or was to be given a scholarship?  

Am I right on that - or did I just dream it??

I think many think he could earn a scholarship is one is left open.  However, I do not think he was given one.