Offseason Potpourri

8 hours ago, Swan88 said:

So . . . Missouri has two Rivals five-star and two Rivals four-star players in their 2017 recruiting class. 

Hmmmm . . . which shoe company are they with? 

Well, they hired the father of the two 5-star players and the 4-stars followed the first 5-star. That's another way to bring in top talent except it is actually legal: just hire their relatives. 

7 hours ago, Jacob Padilla said:

Well, they hired the father of the two 5-star players and the 4-stars followed the first 5-star. That's another way to bring in top talent except it is actually legal: just hire their relatives. 

Ha!  Didn't know that.  Thanks for the info. 

It at least makes sense.  These five-star and four-star recruits at Missouri demonstrate, anew, that unusual results have unusual causes.  

But the family hiring cause (whether legal or not) is still slimy.  And the hiring confirms that Missouri is willing to flirt with the edge in "buying" commitments.    

This must be one of those things Bruce Rasmussen means when he says, "There have been a lot of things that I think are not right about recruiting in Division I college athletics that are within the rules, let alone those things that are outside the rules."  It'd be great to see a listing from Bruce Rasmussen on the "lot of things" he has in mind.  

On 6/30/2017 at 8:34 AM, 49r said:

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2017/06/ohio_state_basketball_offers_g.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State basketball coach Chris Holtmann has made it sound as if the Buckeyes are done with the 2017 recruiting class.

Holtmann got the job late. By the time he arrived in Columbus earlier this month, almost all of the potential players the Buckeyes could recruit this year had signed or committed elsewhere. Makes sense.

But perhaps Ohio State is not quite done. It offered four-star 2018 combo guard Eric Ayala on Thursday, according to multiple reports. Why does that matter for this year? Ayala could potentially reclassify to 2017.

Saw the name on twitter and thought I'd seen it before

Ended up staying in 2018 and going to Maryland. 

I am going to place this article in this category...just because.  It sort of makes me sad.  By the way, he sounds like he wants be a stretch 4 instead of a wing :( but alas, he is gone and we move on.

https://marquettewire.org/3978559/sports/ed-morrow-embraces-off-year-hopes-to-put-injury-history-behind-him/

Now is a time for Morrow to look toward the future; even if that future doesn’t involve him playing in any games for a while.

“I’m going to actually embrace it,” Morrow said about not playing this year. “I plan on being in the gym all the time. That’s the only way I’m going to make gains: to get in here and work on my game.”

If that actually happens, it will represent a complete change in attitude, character and habits for Mr. Morrow.

3 minutes ago, 49r said:

I think Ed was always pretty good about getting in the gym and lifting at NU wasn't he...he just had unending problems with his feet?  Some have said he didn't like Adidas, that they caused his injury problems here.  Am I not recalling that correctly?

I don't think lifting was an issue for Ed.  I think practicing skills other than dunking was.

It would be interesting to poll fans of the other teams at the bottom and see what they think. I'd guess Rutgers fans would mostly think, "Yeah, last. That's about right." Illinois and Ohio State are probably more hopeful since they've been good in the past and have new coaches. Penn State fans would probably be happy to be ranked 10th, based on their history.

1 hour ago, Chuck Taylor said:

It would be interesting to poll fans of the other teams at the bottom and see what they think. I'd guess Rutgers fans would mostly think, "Yeah, last. That's about right." Illinois and Ohio State are probably more hopeful since they've been good in the past and have new coaches. Penn State fans would probably be happy to be ranked 10th, based on their history.

if you go over to reddit and read the college basketball subreddit you'll see that is not always the case.

Rutgers fans are really excited about Pikiell and feel like he's going to get them to rise up soon - they count Nebraska as automatic wins both home and away

Illinois fans are a little uncertain about Underwood but I have seen comments from Illini fans that they expect to finish somewhere between 4th and 10th

Penn State fans really love the talent that Chambers has on his team - they expect to be an NCAA tourney team this year, probably making a Northwestern type run

Ohio State fans are probably waiting for football to end to remember they have a hoops team

Really, it's the Nebraska fans over there that are the most hopeless bunch.  They're the least optimistic of the lot.  13th to them is probably a surprise since they didn't expect to be picked that high.

12 minutes ago, khoock said:

Robin did a couple interviews with Jack and Glynn that are free to view if anyone wants to post the links. Good stuff

Feel free to throw any of those up in the media section or any relevant thread.  Looks like Rivals has youtube ads enabled on them so they get paid regardless of where they're played.