Offseason Potpourri

http://mason.gmu.edu/~rmatz/giamatti.html         .... the link is for 49er. It is the traditional ending to the season essay on the SOSH website. And for those who may not have read this piece before, the first and last paragraphs have some relevance to anyone who follows a team sport. Moonlight carried me through another summer, but now I'll rely on trusty old Norman Dale for an even better winter. 

3 hours ago, 49r said:

More "Tai Webster is gone and all that is left is Glynn Watson" rhetoric from the Indy Star:

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2017/10/10/big-ten-basketball-iu-insider-zach-ostermans-preseason-predictions/750810001/

Here is the low-hanging fruit...

13. Nebraska: Glynn Watson Jr. is a really good player. Like, the kind of player that you see on one of the Big Ten’s cellar dwellers and wonder, “How good could he be if he played for my (team that is pretty good but could definitely use Glynn Watson)?” But Ed Morrow is gone, so is Tai Webster and Nebraska lost 13 of its last 16 last year.

14 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

Maybe it's just me, but I really like the court that we have right now. And that's not a "change is bad," it a "I really like that court!"

I like the state outline in the middle. Wonder if they bring back the cursive "Huskers" logo to the floor, a giant "N' in the middle like last year at Devaney, or late 90's/early 2000's court....trip down memory lane! 

90court.jpg

nebraska-cornhuskers-basketball.jpg

devaney .jpg

I reeeeeaaaallly hope they don't go the route of these types of designs/concepts:

BAD Oregon (full court design):

alg-oregon-state-jpg.jpg

(Side note: GOOD Long Beach State does make it a little more tasteful):

8043974.jpeg

BAD Auburn (oversized logo):

Auburn-basketball-court-by-Clint-Richard

(Side note: GOOD Notre Dame does a decent job at using large accent logos):

notre-dame.jpg

BAD Manhattan (paint bucket court):

image.jpg

(Side note: GOOD Central Florida at least has some contrast in their full painted court):

central-florida-court.jpeg?itok=91fTEoKf

Edited by HuskerFever

16 hours ago, 49r said:

More "Tai Webster is gone and all that is left is Glynn Watson" rhetoric from the Indy Star:

'You guys lost your most prolific scorer, your most efficient post scorer, and you sucked last year' is fairly accurate.  Just listening to KenPom on a podcast yesterday he bases most of his pre-season projections on the previous years results because on the whole that is going to be remarkably accurate (he adjusts for coaches, transfers, high end freshmen, etc)

We know all the new variables that are coming into this season but they are just that....variables where we need most everyone to meet or exceed expectations while also staying healthy.

Let's hope this year's chemistry reports possibly translating into better team play also meets or exceeds expectations.

I am just going to have to throw this out there.... Nebraska HAS to win an NCAA Tourney game this year!  We have to!!

We sports fans have sacrificed

• The Core Royals last season
  • The US Making the World Cup 2018
  • Nebraska Football Bowl Eligibility (Latest projections have us out in some)
  • Tom Petty

I just... don't think my heart can live with any negative sports news.

5 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

With the new guys Mizzou is bringing in they're going to sell that game out

in a heartbeat

The two schools will split the approximately 18,000 seats in the Sprint Center; each athletics department will distribute its allotment.  The game will not be televised or streamed, but each school's radio network will broadcast it.  The goal is to sell out the Sprint Center, which could yield approximately $1 million to distribute among the five charitable organizations.

Members of the Tiger Scholarship Fund will have the opportunity to purchase tickets from the Mizzou allotment first based on donor rank. TSF members should watch their e-mail for more details. A limited number of tickets for Mizzou students will be available for purchase starting Tuesday, Oct. 17.

Members of Kansas Athletics' Williams Education Fund will have the opportunity to purchase tickets from the KU allotment based on donor membership level. WEF members should watch their e-mail for more details.  A limited number of tickets for KU students will be available for purchase starting Friday, October 13.

Any remaining tickets from the schools' allotments will go on sale online only through sprintcenter.com starting at 10 a.m. Wednesday, October 18.

There will be no tickets left after the donors and students snap up their respective allotments.

And Bill called up Cuonzo and said, "Let's make this happen."

Major props to Bill Self if this is true.  Very few opportunities present themselves like this where a college team can truly make an impact to actually help people in a real and substantial way.

I didn't read the full article, but I hope the Sprint Center is furnishing the space without charge, or at least just at cost.  Concessions alone should cover the cost of making the facility available, and obviously, no one else had booked it for that time slot.

No, this is one of the better feel-good, do-good stories of college sports this decade.