Offseason Potpourri

1 hour ago, WestOHusker said:

Robin believes he'll see some clock this year.. I would have to agree with him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, Tanner has come back to the team with a vengeance.  Miles hinted quite awhile ago that Tanner was putting in work and could be in the mix.  Props to this young man for working so hard.  

1 hour ago, WestOHusker said:

Robin believes he'll see some clock this year.. I would have to agree with him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not saying he's not going to play but if you watched the video the only basketball related play they show him completing was setting a screen, and it was an illegal screen at that.

Robin has now said that Thor will be a factor this year and now that Tanner will play this year and you can book it!

Now those are some bold predictions.

Many of us have long said that Tanner is a very high quality walkon and i for one was sad to see him not get a chance to go through off season workouts his first go around. It will be interesting to see how this pans out for many reasons:

-injuries

-foul trouble

-Jordy not developing as much as we expect

-Duby not being able to hold his own in the Big Ten like we hope

I had us playing small with Copeland or Roby at the 5 for spurts of the game, if any of the above conditions were to happen. But Tanner may very well be able to get some serious/important minutes this season as an emergency backup.

Just another reason i cant wait for this season to start. GBR

2 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

I'm not saying he's not going to play but if you watched the video the only basketball related play they show him completing was setting a screen, and it was an illegal screen at that.

And there was that time that he bodied up against Duby in the low post and prevented him from taking a shot.

3 hours ago, huskercwg said:

We need the depth.  Part of me believes that he needs to be able to play due to the susceptibility of Jordy being in foul trouble. 

Eh, it'll happen from time to time, but Jordy grew a ton in that area of his game over the course of last season. I don't think it will be something we see regularly from Jordy, though.

Wow.  TB has really chiseled up.  I think he'll definitely play.  I had no idea he was in that good of shape.

I don't really think of him as a walkon because he was already a D1 athlete.  Usually, with time (years), that athleticism can transfer between sports.  He always had good footwork and very good hands.  He'll bring offensive tools to the table that Okeke won't.  I wonder what TB weighs right now.  I'd guess he's in the 250-260 range.  He'll definitely be able to bang.  

I really like this development.  

Does anyone know if TB has any range on his jumper?  I've never heard anything either way.  

1 hour ago, LK1 said:

Wow.  TB has really chiseled up.  I think he'll definitely play.  I had no idea he was in that good of shape.

I don't really think of him as a walkon because he was already a D1 athlete.  Usually, with time (years), that athleticism can transfer between sports.  He always had good footwork and very good hands.  He'll bring offensive tools to the table that Okeke won't.  I wonder what TB weighs right now.  I'd guess he's in the 250-260 range.  He'll definitely be able to bang.  

I really like this development.  

Does anyone know if TB has any range on his jumper?  I've never heard anything either way.  

And really, that's the only way he'd differentiate himself from Okeke. Duby will be just fine around the rim and on the glass, which is why he's here. We don't actually know that TB is or will be. Minutes will still be sparse for Tanner, especially if/when Copeland is in the mix.

34 minutes ago, uneblinstu said:

And really, that's the only way he'd differentiate himself from Okeke. Duby will be just fine around the rim and on the glass, which is why he's here. We don't actually know that TB is or will be. Minutes will still be sparse for Tanner, especially if/when Copeland is in the mix.

So you think Copeland will play some 5?

2 hours ago, khoock said:

So you think Copeland will play some 5?

There's only 200 minutes available to a roster in a regular game.  If you have, say, an 8 man rotation, you probably have some guys who can swing between various positions.  Add in a 9th guy who might typically be a 4, and give him 25 minutes/game, and those minutes have to come from somewhere.  Guys who can play the 3 or 4 might play more 3 and less 4.  Guys who can swing between the 2 and the 3, same thing.  Even if Copeland doesn't play any center at all, he'd still take minutes from the guy who backed up the 4 and the 5.  Or from the guy who was starting at the 4 before who might now back up both the 4 and the 5.

So, even if they don't add a guy at that particular spot, it'll still have a spillover effect.

If Duby and TB are both able to provide solid and productive minutes as centers with the lvl of competition presented on our schedule, then i dont think we use any 4/5 swing players. I'd much rather throw a 240+ center out there then a 225ish forward to play the 5.

Now this all goes out the window if Duby or TB arent able to produce, but if they are i think the minutes are made up entirely by Jordy, Duby, and TB:

-Jordy starts

-Duby gets all the back up min

-Tanner subs in when needed for injuries/ foul trouble