Offseason Potpourri

4 minutes ago, 49r said:

I don't see how that has any bearing at all on the discussion, but I will say that I defy you to find one single word that I have typed on here scoffing at our transfers out this year.

Never said you specifically did.  But many on here have dismissed/marginalized Morrow and Jacobson's departures, mostly in part because of Copeland's presence.

Edited by nustudent

39 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

You ever heard of Andrew White before he thought about transferring here?  Do you think he could have helped last year? 

To answer your first question, yes.  But that's because I live in KC and hearing about all things Jayhawk are somewhat unavoidable here.

As to the second one, also yes.  White might have helped us win an extra game or two I think.

But White being on the team doesn't prevent Gill's knee from exploding nor does it help Morrow's feet heal any faster.  It also doesn't speed Roby's recovery and development as a freshman, same for Jordy.

My point is it's a team game and I'm more concerned about how the other 10 guys on the roster are coming along (or healing from injury) than whether Copeland will be available out of the gate.  I think it's folly to be placing so much of our hopes on a guy who is coming off back surgery.  He may or may not ever be the same again after this you know.  It has been known to happen that injuries can derail a promising career.  See Taylor Martinez for a relatable example...and he only had bad ankles.

The gravity of this Copeland situation just finally hit me.

If he wins the appeal, he would be eligible at the beginning of the season and have two years to play, right?  Because last season wouldn't count.

If he does NOT win the appeal, would he be a senior with 2/3 of a season to play?

Can anyone answer that question for me?

This whole time, I've been thinking he has either 2 years or a year and two-thirds.

But now I'm wondering if there's a whole lot more riding on this appeal than I thought.

2 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

If he wins the appeal, he would be eligible at the beginning of the season and have two years to play, right?  Because last season wouldn't count.

If he does NOT win the appeal, would he be a senior with 2/3 of a season to play?

This whole time, I've been thinking he has either 2 years or a year and two-thirds.

But now I'm wondering if there's a whole lot more riding on this appeal than I thought.

Im 99% sure that he gets to play the second semester as a junior. And would be able to play for us again as a senior the following year.

2 minutes ago, 49r said:

I think it's folly to be placing so much of our hopes on a guy who is coming off back surgery.

I'm pinning a lot of our hopes on a guy who is the highest rated and most accomplished Div-1 transfer that a program who has built success on Div-1 transfers has ever seen.

I'm also not discounting that it's possible for us to win despite Copeland never living up to that hype.

Also, it's not like Copeland will be just showing up and playing. He'll have been in the program for a whole year, been practicing with the team, going through summer workouts, fall camp and all that. That should (hopefully) reduce some of those chemistry concerns, or at least help get through them more quickly than they would have if he would have just show up like Adam Banks did with the Mighty Ducks in the middle of the season. Though Banks was a pretty significant factor in them  making their playoffs run.

giphy.gif

Edited by uneblinstu
Flying V! Ducks fly together!

While it would be nice to have all 13 scholarships filled, I don't think the addition of two more freshman, two

more transfer question marks, or two more question marks at all would have helped us win any more games in the 1/3 of the season Copeland would be out.  

Firstly, if there was a transfer out there that was another Copeland/Jordy/Watson and they wanted to play here, then I guarantee you that he would be a Husker.  I thought the staff did a damn fine job of filling some much needed filled holes this off season.

Secondly, I see some mentioning chemistry and I totally agree.  With such a brand new team, chemistry might be a challenge.  Something to think about though is "is filling 2 more spots with question mark players going to hurt or help in the long run?"  As I mentioned in the last paragraph, if there was a no question would help us immediately player out there, he'd be here.  But to now go the first 1/3 of a season splitting the minutes up even more amongst the new question mark players and then taking that many more minutes away would hurt chemistry more I think.

Thirdly, I 100 percent agree that's we are a better team with Copeland.  However, I also believe that we have the ability to win all of our games prior to him becoming eligible.  It isn't just my Rose Colored Glasses this year either.  We have depth (All 11 scholarship guys I feel are actual players that could help).  We have better shooting (The addition of Allen and Palmer, Glynn and Jack getting better, and possibly Roby breaking out).  We have two true posts.  We should have better D (Less doubling down, two big inside presences, good guard play).  All of that is without Copeland.  Sure the addition of him only adds to that, but not having him doesn't automatically create an L either.

Fourthly, the loss of Ed and MJ hurt.  No doubt about that.  The addition of Copeland took a little of that sting away.  Then we added Okeke and Allen as well.  We want to talk about chemistry, well do we think having those two automatically increases our chemistry?  I don't honestly.  Production is one thing and I think they would have helped there no doubt.  However is a decreased Ed/MJ role going to help chemistry?  Is someone who was very critical about AW leaving only to walk himself someone who would have helped chemistry?  You traded that for a "last chance U" grad transfer who wants to prove himself, a struggling performing  5* who now gets a shot in the best basketball conference in the nation, and a top 150 Freahman guard.  My point is that while in production MJ and ED would have helped, there could have been chemistry issues even with vets on the team.  Sometimes new is the way to go.  See Petteway, Pitchford year 1.  

Also, I'm not so sure the production of ED and MJ can't be offset by the production of Okeke, Copeland and Allen this year.  Honestly would probably take the last group.  Even if I only get 1 for 2/3 of a season.

FWIW, I'm hearing Duby might leave us all saying "Ed who?" before too long.  Might.  Lot to prove on the floor but he gives up nothing to Ed in size, athleticism or physicality.  What I'm hearing.  Different tools, so they aren't the same player, but we might not miss the one who got away as much as we might have feared.

6 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Another thing:  Try finding full game videos from before Ed's injury to after.   He was a different player when he came back. Not because of the injury but because of what he was trying to do on the floor. And it wasn't nearly as effective for us. 

Well he was a 3 being asked to play the 4 and 5 :ph34r:

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

FWIW, I'm hearing Duby might leave us all saying "Ed who?" before too long.  Might.  Lot to prove on the floor but he gives up nothing to Ed in size, athleticism or physicality.  What I'm hearing.  Different tools, so they aren't the same player, but we might not miss the one who got away as much as we might have feared.

That does beg the question, why wasn't he more productive at Winthrop?  Because, yeah, he looks the part.  Maybe it's because of their perimeter style on offense and how he was used.  Or maybe he's one of those guys who has got a lot of the skills but never quite put it together, as the old cliché goes.

5 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

The appeal is for a waiver that would allow him to play immediately.  As far as I know, there is no precedent for this.  There have been plenty of waivers granted for players that transfer at the end of the second semester to play immediately - family medical issues, coaching changes, old team is on probation - but I don't think there's been one for a midseason transfer.

The rule is, a player that transfers at semester is not eligible until the end of the first semester the next season.  Normally the player also loses a year of eligibility, i.e., if he transfers as a freshman, then the next year he's a sophomore.  The exception to this is if the player is already redshirting or has played and has been granted a medical redshirt.  In this case, he is still not eligible until the start of the second semester, but does not lose the year of eligibility.

Copeland has already been granted the medical redshirt, as he only played in seven of Georgetown's games, and the threshold of games you can play in and still get a redshirt is 30%.  So he will be a junior in eligibility.

Thank you so much for that clarification, Dead Dog.  I was really wondering if he was going to wind up costing himself basically an entire season worth of games by having played last season.  Sounds like he comes in as a junior with whatever's left of this season and then one more season after that.

Edited by Norm Peterson

1 hour ago, Dead Dog Alley said:

That does beg the question, why wasn't he more productive at Winthrop?  Because, yeah, he looks the part.  Maybe it's because of their perimeter style on offense and how he was used.  Or maybe he's one of those guys who has got a lot of the skills but never quite put it together, as the old cliché goes.

I can't answer that.  All I can say is one person is telling me he's not as raw as you'd think by looking at his numbers at Winthrop.  Probably has a lot to do with the pieces around him and the way he was used there.  And he brings something different to the table than Ed.  He's a different player.  Suffice it to say, he's not going to try to pretend that he's a wing.

And on the other hand, I've heard rumblings that Ed was a bit of a pain in the ass, to be quite blunt about it.  I've been dropping hints about people looking at the difference between pre "injury" Ed and post "injury" Ed.  (I put injury in quotes because it was like symptoms without a precipitating event.  And I have reason to question how motivated he was to return to the lineup after the "injury.")

Ed was solid when he was willing to play a particular role.  Ed was less than solid when he decided he was a wing in a power forward's body with a center's skillset.

In any event, I cannot speak to Duby's numbers at Winthrop.  I'm just passing along a little tidbit I picked up.  He might fit Ed's role a little better than Ed did.  Nobody knows for sure until he's on the floor in live action but let's just say the early returns are promising.

Edited by Norm Peterson

I realize everyone has a lot of hope that Copeland will be available from the beginning of the season and can hopefully be a huge part of what i think will be a very good team. I do as well. I also have a lot of hope that Roby will be a very different and much improved player this year and I think that if that happens he will be a very strong piece of this years team also. I am looking forward to seeing what Glynn, Jordy, Gill and Palmer can do this year too but I was wondering what everyone thinks about Nana Akenten? I think he could surprise some folks as well. What do all of you think about him?

20 minutes ago, BigTate said:

I realize everyone has a lot of hope that Copeland will be available from the beginning of the season and can hopefully be a huge part of what i think will be a very good team. I do as well. I also have a lot of hope that Roby will be a very different and much improved player this year and I think that if that happens he will be a very strong piece of this years team also. I am looking forward to seeing what Glynn, Jordy, Gill and Palmer can do this year too but I was wondering what everyone thinks about Nana Akenten? I think he could surprise some folks as well. What do all of you think about him?

I hope he can D up and knock down 3's as a FROSH.

3 hours ago, BigTate said:

Things we know:  He's a very bouncy athlete.  He has great range and good touch on his perimeter J.

Things we don't know:  Can he D it up at a Power 5 level?  Can he get to the rack and finish?

I think the things we know will allow him to get a shot; it's the things we don't know that will decide how much of a shot he gets.

1 hour ago, jimmykc said:

I wish we could have recruited Xerxes to play center. And I note in the LJS that Miles told the Executive club that Copeland will not be eligible until second semester, so he must not be planning on him until then.

Tim pretty direct in that speech.  With the usual humor mixed in.  Says Okeke is good in space but needs work on his game in small spaces.  Dan Dakich will be disappointed to hear that Evan Taylor is never going to be a great shot.  But he's a good player and a great athlete.  Palmer is a mini-Petteway.   He's tough.  Confirmed Gill's injury was much worse then they initially thought.    Article would be worth linking.  Some White/Morrow/Jacobsen stuff mixed in also.