Offseason Potpourri

3 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Dean, I think there are probably a number of explanations.

First, I think some people realize it just gets under soccer fans' skin to pimp them about their love for soccer.  I don't think those people are trying to be mean, necessarily, but more to just have some fun.

Second, I think soccer conversations can derail discussions for longer periods of time than talk of baseball.  Paint drying.  Like you mentioned.  It's just hard to talk about baseball for more than just a quick "How about them Yankees?"

Third, I think some people really do genuinely try to keep this board mostly on topic most of the time.  So, excursions from primarily hoops get commented on no matter what the topic.

And, then there's always this ...

I don't know about it being people's love for soccer. Someone mentioned a Husker was wearing a soccer jersey and mere mentions such as that seems to set people off. Whether its mean or trying to have fun it seems to get a stronger negative reaction than most other things. I think that there are much fewer soccer conversation here than other distractions due to the overwhelmingly negative reaction. Maybe it's because Creighton plays soccer? 

As for keeping the board on topic, it seems to me that the "regulars" have the most off topic posts. We start game threads with a song for some reason? And this thread is titled "Offseason Potpourri". Can you be off topic with that title? Also when you are talking about diving I think basketball falls under the don't throw stones if you live in glass houses category. 

I love basketball, and particularly Nebraska basketball. That's why I read this site. Sometimes we get off topic and I usually just skim over those. And the diving thing is one reason I mentioned Messi.

Edited by Dean Smith

Tai (Warriors) vs. Terran (Celtics) in NBA Summer League Vegas playoffs. Neither has played much. It'd be fun to see them on the court at the same time. It's really disappointing to see Petteway not do much. I'm pretty sure he averaged double figures the last two summers in Vegas. He doesn't even play double figure minutes.

20 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

And, then there's always this ...

The post-Vlade Divac era of the NBA could have just as bad of a flopping lowlight reel, and for the same reason.  Many refs seem to only blow a whistle if the offensive player takes a dive.  The horrible throw-your-head-back-like-you-got-whiplash head move is annoying, and seems to be employed any time a point guard gets breathed on these days.  As a fan of both sports, I find the level of "acting" and "selling" to be very comparable.  But if you actually watch one sport and just google "soccer dives" for the other one, then yeah you're going to come to the conclusion that you did.

Matt Norlander's(from CBS Sports) has us dead last in the Big 10 power rankings.  I guess it could happen being that the Big 10 is probably going to be pretty tough this year....but, it seems we have enough talent to do better.  Much better hopefully. 

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/early-big-ten-power-rankings-led-by-miles-bridges-michigan-state-is-back-on-top/

Edited by huskerbaseball13

2 hours ago, jimmykc said:

Can't believe writer rates us below Rutgers ( but then I don't follow the StonyBrook magic too closely). Always better to be under-rated when the season starts though, so thanks, Matt.

Matt Norlander is an Ohio State guy. Without even looking at the article, I'm going to guess there is an inordinate amount of talk about the Buckeyes.

4 hours ago, atskooc said:

Jordy drops the hat he's wasting his time. 

Yeah, because there's never been any opportunity for a big man in Miles' system to shoot treys.

Well, except for Jacobson.  And I guess Pitchford.

OK, I guess there've been plenty of opportunities for big men in Miles' system to shoot treys.

If only they'd worked on it like Jordy.

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Yeah, because there's never been any opportunity for a big man in Miles' system to shoot treys.

Well, except for Jacobson.  And I guess Pitchford.

OK, I guess there've been plenty of opportunities for big men in Miles' system to shoot treys.

If only they'd worked on it like Jordy.

To suggest that Jordy and Pitchford are the same kind of big man (or that they would be used in the same manner in Miles' system) is laughable.

Add Jacobson to that same mix. One was in the mold of a classic four, the other a stretch four who hated playing down low on offense.

I would bet that Jordy doesn't hoist more than 12 threes this coming year (he was 0-0 last year).  For this guy to be spending time practicing that shot (as anything other than just goofing around) when he is far from polished on the low block? That's a waste of time.

15 minutes ago, atskooc said:

To suggest that Jordy and Pitchford are the same kind of big man (or that they would be used in the same manner in Miles' system) is laughable.

Ah, yes, the "appeal to the stone" fallacy (i.e., "I don't have an argument, so I'm just going to call someone else's comment absurd.")

Also, a version of what I like to call the Fireswamp Fallacy: something is impossible or improbable (Jordy having the ability to hit treys) just because you've never seen it done before.

19 minutes ago, atskooc said:

For this guy to be spending time practicing that shot (as anything other than just goofing around) when he is far from polished on the low block? That's a waste of time.

Ah, yes, the fallacy of relative privation.  He shouldn't spend time on this because there are other, more important things for him to be doing.  Of course, there always are.  

By the way, until the polar ice caps stop melting, I don't see how you have time to spend on this board.  Wouldn't you agree that saving the planet is more important than debating basketball?  Well, then, get moving.  Humanity is depending on it.

Anyway, three logical fallacies in a 3 paragraph post.  Nicely done.

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Ah, yes, the "appeal to the stone" fallacy (i.e., "I don't have an argument, so I'm just going to call someone else's comment absurd.")

Also, a version of what I like to call the Fireswamp Fallacy: something is impossible or improbable (Jordy having the ability to hit treys) just because you've never seen it done before.

Ah, yes, the fallacy of relative privation.  He shouldn't spend time on this because there are other, more important things for him to be doing.  Of course, there always are.  

By the way, until the polar ice caps stop melting, I don't see how you have time to spend on this board.  Wouldn't you agree that saving the planet is more important than debating basketball?  Well, then, get moving.  Humanity is depending on it.

Anyway, three logical fallacies in a 3 paragraph post.  Nicely done.

So, your logic says that it's not a waste of time for Jordy to practice shooting threes because Pitchford and Jacobson (both listed as forwards, unlike Jordy, who is a center) shot threes.

My logic says it is a waste of time for Jordy to spend time working on that shot because there is no call for him to shoot it (and, yes, he has other things to work on a bit closer to the basket).

I took a look at some numbers.

Centers (on Huskers.com rosters) in Miles' Nebraska career:

Player/Career threes shot-taken under Miles.

Andre Almeida/0-0  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/andre-almeida-1.html

Jordy T/0-0  http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4066393/jordy-tshimanga

Moses Abraham/0-0  http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/51318/moses-abraham

Sergej V/0-0 https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/sergei-vucetic-1.html

*Kye Kurkowski/0-0  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/kye-kurkowski-1.html

Have power forwards chucked up the three under Miles? Of course (some of them in bunches). But, so far as I can tell, no player who has logged any minutes listed as a center on the roster during Miles' tenure at Nebraska has ever shot a three. Not one.

This isn't even taking into consideration Jacob Hammond (who many thought was the first true center Nebraska had recruited in several years) as Huskers.com has him listed as a forward...but he was 0-0 as well, or Ed Morrow (who was also listed as a forward but spent most of his time as a Husker playing the center position) who also went 0-0.

Miles' system at Nebraska has a history of forwards shooting threes, but centers have no such claim.

Unless you think he is a forward, there is no history (that I can find) that would dictate the need for Jordy, as the center he is, to shoot threes in this offense.  It has literally never happened.

Considering the total lack of centers shooting three pointers under Miles (based on roster position), it is laughable to think his center should spend time shooting the shot.

You said earlier, "Yeah, because there's never been any opportunity for a big man in Miles' system to shoot treys." What you thought was hyperbole actually couldn't be more true if we're talking about guys who are listed as centers under Miles at Nebraska. 

And I don't think I ever hinted that it's either impossible or improbable for Jordy to make a three.  I simply said he wasn't going to shoot them in Miles' offense (because he plays a different position from the two guys you mentioned). Heck, I've seen the guy make one; the day he signed his LOI he posted a video of himself hitting one from deep. So, yes, it is clearly possible for him to make the shot; there's simply no history of guys in his position under Miles even shooting one in a game, let alone making one.

*Kurkowski was listed as a center for 12-13 and a forward for 13-14.

Edited by atskooc