Offseason Potpourri

3 minutes ago, 49r said:

Not that great at paying his taxes though.  Also, quitting on his national team after Copa America last summer isn't a great look for him.

One can argue that CR7 has passed him by too as far as best in the world is concerned.

You're aware CR7 is having some tax problems as well? He's still playing for Argentina as well. Ronaldo is a great player but his arrogance and willingness to throw teammates under the bus are some of the reasons that Messi is still widely regarded by the soccer world as by far the best. 

Yeah, knew about the Ronaldo thing too.

But Ronaldo winning the UEFA Champions League title last year and this year, and the Ballon d'Or last year and likely again this year would be a pretty decent reason to believe maybe Messi is on the downslide while CR7 is just peaking.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that Messi by all rights will go down as possibly the greatest ever, it's performances like this one that earn him that (especially the last goal, the footwork is just insane)

But that was over 7 years ago now...

1 hour ago, Dean Smith said:

You're aware CR7 is having some tax problems as well? He's still playing for Argentina as well. Ronaldo is a great player but his arrogance and willingness to throw teammates under the bus are some of the reasons that Messi is still widely regarded by the soccer world as by far the best. 

Speaking for myself, I was not aware of that.  So, CR7 is having some tax problems, huh?  By the way, who is CR7?

Just now, Norm Peterson said:

Oh, OK! 

Chris Paul just left the Clippers for the Rockets, by the way.  Which is an interesting move.  Joining James Harden in the backcourt in Houston could make them pretty potent.  Maybe challenge for 2nd in the West.

I have my doubts that Harden & Paul will be able to share quite that well. Guess we shall see.

Just to go back to the Cristiano Ronaldo talk for a moment, our opportunity to see the reigning best player in the world play here in the US this summer is apparently not gonna happen.  Which kinda sucks.  Oh, and there's also the tax fraud thing:

Real Madrid is coming to the United States, but Cristiano Ronaldo won't be joining the club.

The two-time defending European champion and reigning Spanish champion released its 26-man squad traveling to the United States for matches in the International Champions Cup and the MLS All-Star Game, and while plenty of star power has been included, Ronaldo has not. Coming off a year in which he played for Real and then went directly into the FIFA Confederations Cup with Portugal, there's plenty of sound sporting reasoning for not including the 32-year-old Ronaldo on the trip. There's also the matter of the court date he has set for July 31, in which he'll face charges of tax fraud. 

On 7/12/2017 at 8:49 AM, 49r said:

Just to go back to the Cristiano Ronaldo talk for a moment, our opportunity to see the reigning best player in the world play here in the US this summer is apparently not gonna happen.  Which kinda sucks.  Oh, and there's also the tax fraud thing:

Real Madrid is coming to the United States, but Cristiano Ronaldo won't be joining the club.

The two-time defending European champion and reigning Spanish champion released its 26-man squad traveling to the United States for matches in the International Champions Cup and the MLS All-Star Game, and while plenty of star power has been included, Ronaldo has not. Coming off a year in which he played for Real and then went directly into the FIFA Confederations Cup with Portugal, there's plenty of sound sporting reasoning for not including the 32-year-old Ronaldo on the trip. There's also the matter of the court date he has set for July 31, in which he'll face charges of tax fraud. 

A couple things. 1. Just because someone says it, doesn't make it so. 2. Who's the "best" will always be subject and you can't "prove" those things but sometimes make for fun discussions. 3. Not Googling anything here but based on just what I've heard and read I would say 80-90% of all talking heads/pundits still pick Messi as the best in the game. 4. I'm sure part of that and overwhelming why he is the more popular player has to do with the difference in Ronoldo & Messi's personality. 

HERE IS MY REAL QUESTION. On this board I've read about baseball, football, volleyball, songs, movies, food and what people think is wrong with Kidney. All of this seems to pass without much comment. But whenever anyone mentions the most popular game in the would people always respond with sarcasm and insults. I don't understand all the hostility. I find watching baseball like watching paint dry but if you want to talk about the Cubs or whatever is your team, knock yourself out. I'll just skip over those posts.

I didn't like soccer when I didn't know anything about it. When I watched it I learned to really like it because I love basketball and they are tactically almost the same sport. If I had to do it again, I would have my high school teams play a lot of soccer in the offseason because you could legally be teaching basketball by teaching soccer concepts without violating any NSAA rules, and it's a great conditioner corresponding to basketball as well. I'm certainly not going to waste any time trying to convert anyone but why does soccer seem to bring out some much hostility in people? 

I brought up Messi because no matter what sport you are focusing on, whether he is the best or second-best right now, his ability to be a great teammate, very little ego, willing to sacrifice for teammates and team, constant effort when playing and work ethic on and off the field, is something all athletes in all sports should aspire to. To make it relative to this board, he is the antithesis of AWIII. 

Edited by Dean Smith

I have no problem with futeball posts-to each their own. And I have seen many games of grandchildren's soccer. And I always watch the world cup with interest. But to mount my Jingoism soap box, baseball , basketball and football are the "American" sports when compared with the rest of the world's preoccupation with the "beautiful game" (and I do know Jimmy Naismith was not born in the good ole'USA). So I suggest that has a lot to do with the tolerance on the board for digressions on those three sports. And before the soccer lovers bash me, let me say that KU grad Grant Wahl is the nephew of my college roomie and I have his autograph. So enjoy those nil-nil games, guys, and I will plan to watch more paint dry when the Red Sox/Yanks 4 game series begins at Fenway this weekend.

Edited by jimmykc

30 minutes ago, Dean Smith said:

A couple things. 1. Just because someone says it, doesn't make it so. 2. Who's the "best" will always be subject and you can't "prove" those things but sometimes make for fun discussions. 3. Not Googling anything here but based on just what I've heard and read I would say 80-90% of all talking heads/pundits still pick Messi as the best in the game. 4. I'm sure part of that and overwhelming why he is the more popular player has to do with the difference in Ronoldo & Messi's personality. 

HERE IS MY REAL QUESTION. On this board I've read about baseball, football, volleyball, songs, movies, food and what people think is wrong with Kidney. All of this seems to pass without much comment. But whenever anyone mentions the most popular game in the would people always respond with sarcasm and insults. I don't understand all the hostility. I find watching baseball like watching paint dry but if you want to talk about the Cubs or whatever is your team, knock yourself out. I'll just skip over those posts.

I didn't like soccer when I didn't know anything about it. When I watched it I learned to really like it because I love basketball and they are tachtically almost the same sport. If I had to do it again, I would have my high school teams play a lot of soccer in the offseason because you could leagally be teaching basketball by teaching soccer concepts without violating any NSAA rules, and it's a great conditioner corosponding to basketball as well. I'm certainly not going to waste anytime trying to convert anyone but why does soccer seem to bring out some much hostility in people? 

I brought up Messi because no matter what sport you are focusing on, whether he is the best or second-best right now, his ability to be a great teammate, very little ego, willing to sacrifice for teammates and team, constant effort when playing and work ethic on and off the field, is something all athletes in all sports should aspire to. To make it relative to this board, he is the antithesis of AWIII. 

Agree with your post 100%.  It's nice to have a variety of things to talk about when the offseason is slow.  People mock what they don't know (or want to know) about.  To address the points in your first paragraph:

1).  Agree - and it goes both ways.  Still, debate is just part of the human condition so we say things then agree or disagree depending on our point of view

2).  Also agree.  This is a little reminiscent of the Jordan vs. King James debate that people are so fond of these days

3).  Possibly.  And best ever vs best currently can sometimes blur the discussion

4).  Sure, personality does make a difference...but if you wanted to be really objective it probably shouldn't

To answer your real question, I'll just respond with two words.  American Exceptionalism.  Pure and simple.

Finally, and FWIW, I'm with you on Messi.  I really like him a lot - he's sort of the dude's dude and he's the one you'd probably pick in a playground pick just because you'd rather have him on your team than Ronaldo, but all that is looking at it from a distance really.  I'm just not convinced that Ronaldo hasn't passed him over now.

9 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

I have no problem with futeball posts-to each their own. And I have seen many games of grandchildren's soccer. And I always watch the world cup with interest. But to mount my Jingoism soap box, baseball , basketball and football are the "American" sports when compared with the rest of the world's preoccupation with the "beautiful game" (and I do know Jimmy Naismith was not born in the good ole'USA). So I suggest that has a lot to do with the tolerance on the board for digressions on those three sports. And before the soccer lovers bash me, let me say that KU grad Grant Wahl is the nephew of my college roomie and I have his autograph. So enjoy those nil-nil games, guys, and I will plan to watch more paint dry when the Red Sox/Yanks 4 game series begins at Fenway this weekend.

Wasn't the original basket-ball just a disused soccer ball, jimmy?

CR7 is a bit of a pretty boy, and is one of the either love or hate kind of guy.. My view changed some when I heard about the family who was asked him for a pair of his game boots so that could use them in an auction to raise money for their sons cancer treatment bills.

He sent them and then paid all the bills for the kid, but didn't tell anybody so that the family could use the money they raised for other things they needed.

So he can be a dick, but then does some good, so you know :unsure:

3 hours ago, Dean Smith said:

Dean, I think there are probably a number of explanations.

First, I think some people realize it just gets under soccer fans' skin to pimp them about their love for soccer.  I don't think those people are trying to be mean, necessarily, but more to just have some fun.

Second, I think soccer conversations can derail discussions for longer periods of time than talk of baseball.  Paint drying.  Like you mentioned.  It's just hard to talk about baseball for more than just a quick "How about them Yankees?"

Third, I think some people really do genuinely try to keep this board mostly on topic most of the time.  So, excursions from primarily hoops get commented on no matter what the topic.

And, then there's always this ...