Offseason Potpourri

12 minutes ago, jimmykc said:

How exactly will that work? Does the NCAA have to pay someone to put an asterisk beside every mention of the NCAA championship? Does Pitino have to take a tiara and mirror ball over to Ann Arbor? Does Michigan now get to claim an NCAA title? Just wondering.

If Louisville is stripped of the title, Michigan doesn't get it. No one does.

Somehow I seem to recall...and maybe I'm just misremembering...that the 1991 Oklahoma State basketball team was put on probation and the NCAA vacated their wins from that season.  They won the Big 8 that year (tied with KU), with NU finishing in 3rd.  Since OSU had split its games with KU and swept NU, I had always (jokingly, because I know vacating wins doesn't really mean anything) thought that meant Nebraska had picked up an extra half game on Kansas that year and *technically* won the league title.

Can anyone else confirm that OSU indeed was forced to vacate their wins from that year?  I can't find anything about it on the internet...maybe I'm just delusional.

4 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I just look at the personnel in the pictures in the tweet I posted above and I just think this is going to be a better team than the one we fielded a year ago.

That one had a major gap in skillset.  This one looks pretty complete.

I would hope so.   We won 12 games 

2 minutes ago, nustudent said:

I would hope so.   We won 12 games 

Well, we were better than a 12-win team last year; it just collapsed on us from the weight of a heavy load.

I think we'll be better than the team that beat Dayton, Maryland and IU away from PBA and much, much better than the team that lost 13 of its last 16 games.

2 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Well, we were better than a 12-win team last year; it just collapsed on us from the weight of a heavy load.

I think we'll be better than the team that beat Dayton, Maryland and IU away from PBA and much, much better than the team that lost 13 of its last 16 games.

Seems like we've been saying we were better than a 12-win  or 15-win or 13-win team for forever.   At some point in time, you are who you are.

That being said....I'll agree that if everyone is healthy and eligible, we should be better.   If not....happy hunting.

When you say 12 win team and pretty soon we are what we are, you have to consider we played one of the toughest schedules in the nation last year.

I think with Andrew White, last year's team dances.  With him, you turn a couple of those demoralizing losses from that difficult schedule into wins, and that helps keep the ship righted so that we don't go on that losing streak to end the year.

I've said a lot of times how I think that the experience of losing just wore on last year's team too much and you add Ed Morrow's injury and they just didn't play as well as the kind of team they could have been.

So, I'm serious when I say last year's team was better than their final record.  I think they were actually a lot better.  I just think they got, as I said above, demoralized.  It was just tough.

This group will be a more complete team.  We don't have quite as tough of a schedule, and so there's less chance of them getting just beaten down as the season goes on and checking out at the end of the year, which I truly believe happened with Ed.  After he came back, he was nowhere near the player he'd been before.  

Anyway, I think this squad is more complete, and some of the holes from last year are now filled.  This will be a much better shooting team.  Maybe better than last year with Andrew White would have been.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

We don't have quite as tough of a schedule

I dunno Norm...it looks to me that it's shaping up to be every bit as tough as last year, and I think the rest of the B1G is going to be substantially improved over last year as well.  I think the verdict is still out on this point.

Last year was a meat grinder and, with as young of a team as we had, it was easy for them to get a bit demoralized from the close, disappointing losses.  They had a lot of bounce-back in them but the supply of bounce-back ran dry after the Purdue game.  That, and I think there were a couple of players who checked out way before the end of the season.  I'm betting Ed Morrow, for example, had decided he was probably going to transfer before he returned from his injury.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

Last year was a meat grinder and, with as young of a team as we had, it was easy for them to get a bit demoralized from the close, disappointing losses.  They had a lot of bounce-back in them but the supply of bounce-back ran dry after the Purdue game.  That, and I think there were a couple of players who checked out way before the end of the season.  I'm betting Ed Morrow, for example, had decided he was probably going to transfer before he returned from his injury.

Some of that is my point though.   There was a level of check out.   Did our talent equate to a 12-win team?   I'll give our talent was better than that.   But there is the mental aspect too...and we didn't have that.  As you said...there was a level of check out.   Good teams don't do it.   It'd also be easier to accept if it was a fluke deal or a one time occurrence.  It wasn't.   There were many striking similarities to the last 3 seasons.

Let's just end this in agreement that the team we can potentially put on the floor this year will be the most talented from top to bottom or 1-11, that Miles has had.