Offseason Potpourri

37 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I agree with this sentiment for the most part.  Might move some of the teams into different categories, but overall I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that the B1G is going to be overall better or across the board better than it was this year.  

I think it will be better and deeper.   That's not really the question though.   The question is....do we improve more than the other teams and where does that leave us in the mix.   If everyone is healthy and plays to potential...you have to like us.   But considering the last 20 years.....not an easy thing to hold our breath on

4 hours ago, Norm Peterson said:

Sure, there's a way.  If we finish 3-13 down the stretch again.  That might do it.

I don't think the odds of that happening are very high, though.

Miles is good for a 5+ game losing streak, however. If we can break that trend, then we're in much better shape.

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 10:21 AM, atskooc said:

We all know Roby has the goods....can't remember how many times he was open last year and I yelled "shoot it" at the TV screen.  Another year in the gym and hitting the weights should hopefully help with his confidence.  If he finishes his career at NU it will be fun to watch when it all clicks. 

39 minutes ago, 49r said:

It's an interesting discussion. And regardless of their decision(s), the one thing they have to be very very careful about is stepping over a fine line of incentivizing youth at an early age. Should they continue to lower the age requirements, you may start to see kids dropping out of high school to pursue professional aspirations and end up without a high school diploma as a result. I know this is a stretch, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

1 hour ago, HuskerFever said:

It's an interesting discussion. And regardless of their decision(s), the one thing they have to be very very careful about is stepping over a fine line of incentivizing youth at an early age. Should they continue to lower the age requirements, you may start to see kids dropping out of high school to pursue professional aspirations and end up without a high school diploma as a result. I know this is a stretch, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

Seems like MLB with their 'either go out of HS or stay in college for 3 years' setup would be something to look at.

4 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

Jeremy Tyler skipped his senior year of high school to play overseas a few years back. Got a cup of coffee in the NBA after that but couldn't stick.

3 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

If this happened, do you think more kids would opt to go oversees instead of playing three years in college?

I think it would be a lot similar to college baseball, the best of the crop will take their chances and likely succeed. The rest of with appropriate counsel will go to college and build their skills. They're may still be some that go overseas but I think results of shown it's a mixed bag, and the competition isn't as great, none of the players going overseas arnt going to the top euro leagues. If the NBA really wants to capatalize they would finish their goal and get every team to lock up their own minor league team. That way when some of the high school kids go pro and arnt ready they have a chance to hone their skills.

i think the college game would take a jump if this was to happen, we could get back to building programs 

18 hours ago, huskerbaseball13 said:

If this happened, do you think more kids would opt to go oversees instead of playing three years in college?

But in this scenario you could go to the NBA straight out of HS. I don't see the significant difference between these two plans that would have an uptick in kids going overseas....an option that is already available.  How many two and done kids would there be?

5 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

But in this scenario you could go to the NBA straight out of HS. I don't see the significant difference between these two plans that would have an uptick in kids going overseas....an option that is already available.  How many two and done kids would there be?

I think one of the major differences between these two paths is that one path requires you to go to classes, read, do homework, study for exams, and get sufficient grades while the other path allows you to eat, sleep, and live basketball. I'm sure the latter is more appealing to some athletes with professional basketball aspirations.

Sort of late to be parting ways with a coach.  That could certainly lead to a domino effect.  I will start the Creen to OSU rumors :)

But if this story is to be believed, it is to announce he is retiring after next season...Health...certainly not age.

http://ohiostate.247sports.com/Article/Ohio-State-Buckeyes-basketball-coach-Thad-Matta-to-retire-after--53035954

Edited by huskercwg

27 minutes ago, huskercwg said:

Sort of late to be parting ways with a coach.  That could certainly lead to a domino effect.  I will start the Creen to OSU rumors :)

But if this story is to be believed, it is to announce he is retiring after next season...Health...certainly not age.

http://ohiostate.247sports.com/Article/Ohio-State-Buckeyes-basketball-coach-Thad-Matta-to-retire-after--53035954

Well, that's certainly one way to do it.  Saves all the angst about players playing for the coach's job, and are they putting too much pressure on themselves and pressing too hard and forcing thing, and will it hurt recruiting and all those other questions.

Retiring at the end of next year (instead of being fired) makes for a far smoother transition, no?

5 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

Well, that's certainly one way to do it.  Saves all the angst about players playing for the coach's job, and are they putting too much pressure on themselves and pressing too hard and forcing thing, and will it hurt recruiting and all those other questions.

Retiring at the end of next year (instead of being fired) makes for a far smoother transition, no?

He gone.