Offseason Potpourri

42 minutes ago, Norm Peterson said:

I don't know the whole backstory on Khyri.  There might be a reason we didn't pursue.  I will say no one, not even the CU coaches, saw him being the player he ended up being right out of the gates.  Otherwise, Creighton would have offered sooner.  And when Creighton did finally offer and Khyri accepted, the DBs on the BJ board were all like wut?  They certainly weren't jumping for joy that they offered a scholarship to a kid from Benson whom no other major programs had offered.  He had an offer from UNO.  And Portland.  And UMKC. 

So, that's a whiff on our part?  Not sure why.

I thought he was really good but I didn't see anyone else saying it.  So, it's interesting to me now that he's panned out how many people thought we should have offered back then who weren't saying so back then.

I've always thought we should have offered him but like I said I am/was baised since I went to high school with him and probably saw him play 50+ games. So my opinion doesn't mean much.

All I know is Nebraska never contacted him at all. Which is interesting to me bc he was the player of the year his SR year, averaged 18+, was an elite defender, and has a 6'9 wingspan. I think that warrants at least a phone call or some type of inquiry. Grades wise I can tell you he was good enough to get into a public institution right out of high school. A great kid with a great work ethic and stays out of trouble.

But once again I am super biased and if it was a player who I had not known and seen play so many times I would more than likely agree with you that it wasn't a huge whiff on our part.

3 hours ago, 49r said:

dimes, do you think that's an indictment of Miles then?

Not really. I don't think that having guys who went to HS in this state is a requirement for winning.

That being said we haven't exactly recruited this state well, we aren't winning, and guys from this state who could probably help us are on other teams.

Thus, I get the point about looking at the guys coming out of the state and saying "Well, look at this guy"

My purpose for pointing out Thomas is that if you're going to make an argument that we need to have a Nebraska guy, he's the guy you should be citing as opposed to Daum or Patton or whoever.

1 hour ago, Norm Peterson said:

And when Creighton did finally offer and Khyri accepted, the DBs on the BJ board were all like wut?  They certainly weren't jumping for joy that they offered a scholarship to a kid from Benson whom no other major programs had offered.  He had an offer from UNO.  And Portland.  And UMKC. 

Your argument is that we shouldn't have kicked the tires on Thomas because dumb people on a dumb forum said dumb things?

17 minutes ago, hhcdimes said:

Your argument is that we shouldn't have kicked the tires on Thomas because dumb people on a dumb forum said dumb things?

His argument in these (see: recruiting misses) types of things is usually something along these lines: If you didn't think we should have recruited a kid out of high school (and you didn't point it out on the board that we should have recruited the kid), then you shouldn't dump on the coach for not offering a kid who turns out to be a good player.

I like the way you put it better.

11 minutes ago, atskooc said:

His argument in these (see: recruiting misses) types of things is usually something along these lines: If you didn't think we should have recruited a kid out of high school (and you didn't point it out on the board that we should have recruited the kid), then you shouldn't dump on the coach for not offering a kid who turns out to be a good player.

I like the way you put it better.

The premise for most people who are critical of the coaches for failing to identify and recruit players who ended up going other places and being really good is that the fact they ended up being good is proof the coaches should have seen it and pursued such players before they went elsewhere.  Anyone can second guess with 20/20 hindsight.  I have never seen compelling arguments to suggest that Daum and Thomas were so clearly going to be hits rather than misses that the coaches were remiss for not recruiting them.

Now, if someone wants to show me where they were assessing those two as surefire hits while they were still available, I'd be more than happy to reconsider my view.

Until then, I think the fact that they weren't recruited by ANY power 5 teams and that they hardly had any D1 offers is enough for me to conclude that, yeah, this probably isn't on the coaches.  Pretty much nobody expected it.  And thanks for not putting words in my mouth as your analysis of my thought processes has proven less than reliable.

I know people are feeling a little down now that the basketball season has come to a close, but here's something to look forward to: http://www.midmajormadness.com/2017/4/4/15181442/college-basketball-offseason-dates-nba-draft-recruiting-peach-jam-nike-adidas-under-armour

Detailed descriptions are in the article, but here's a quick glance.

Dates to Remember:

April 12-15: Portsmouth Invitational

April 14: Jordan Brand Classic

April 21-23, 28-30: Recruiting Evaluation Period

May 9-14: NBA Draft Combine

June 12: NBA Draft Early Entry Withdrawal Deadline

June 17-18: The Basketball Tournament Jamboree

June 22: NBA Draft

July 1-17: NBA Summer League

July 8-9, 15-16: TBT Regionals

July 12-16, 19-23, 26-30: Recruiting Evaluation Period

July 20-23: TBT Super 16

August 1-3: TBT Final Four

7 minutes ago, Cazzie22 said:

I would rather take a chance on a Nebraska kid who wants to play for Good Ole State U than a marginal out of state player.  This is not critical to the success of the program but is something I would like to see done.

Yeah.  We need a Jason Glock or a Chad Ideus to get garbage buckets every now and then.

Wait, does Tanner Borchardt count for that?

2 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

I know people are feeling a little down now that the basketball season has come to a close, but here's something to look forward to: http://www.midmajormadness.com/2017/4/4/15181442/college-basketball-offseason-dates-nba-draft-recruiting-peach-jam-nike-adidas-under-armour

Detailed descriptions are in the article, but here's a quick glance.

Dates to Remember:

April 12-15: Portsmouth Invitational

April 14: Jordan Brand Classic

April 21-23, 28-30: Recruiting Evaluation Period

May 9-14: NBA Draft Combine

June 12: NBA Draft Early Entry Withdrawal Deadline

June 17-18: The Basketball Tournament Jamboree

June 22: NBA Draft

July 1-17: NBA Summer League

July 8-9, 15-16: TBT Regionals

July 12-16, 19-23, 26-30: Recruiting Evaluation Period

July 20-23: TBT Super 16

August 1-3: TBT Final Four

Here's another set of dates to keep in mind:  Spring signing period begins on 4/12/17 and ends on 5/17/17

On 3/31/2017 at 11:56 AM, Norm Peterson said:

Finally, as to Patton.

He was a skinny, raw athlete as a junior in HS.  Not really D1 material.  His explosion from nobody to High Major Prospect happened almost literally overnight.

As 49r suggested, if Patton had waited a couple of months to commit, he probably would have had offers from UNC and Duke and other blue blood programs...

...and I truly believe that he would have still chosen Creighton over those others.  Or at least it would have been very close.  Anybody that says we whiffed on Patton is just plain wrong, if you ask me.

Edited by 49r

8 minutes ago, HuskerFever said:

We can dream, right?

Here's a list of the uncommitted 5-star athletes, as of April 10:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2702490-college-basketball-recruiting-2017-where-will-uncommitted-5-stars-land

Let's give them all a call and see if they want to all play together for NU. I think we have room!

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/webster-to-play-in-portsmouth-invitational-this-week/article_e17e7105-2a15-5027-8b06-f5e9deed4a94.html

Webster to play in Portsmouth Invitational this week:

The tournament starts Wednesday and runs through Saturday. Approximately 200 NBA representatives attend the camp, which is exclusively for college seniors.

[rant]

Well, it's after the Final Four. It's after the Spring Game. Yet still no word from the AD's office.

43 days since we've played a game. And all we've "heard" from the AD is a tweet. 

It's beyond time to lay out his vision for the program. What is the plan? I don't want to hear an ultimatum for 2017-18 - that almost never works out well for either party. But you can still articulate long term expectations for the program that don't have to include an ultimatum.

To me, at least part this sh!tst0rm of an offseason has come from the silence from above. Since we're more than a week into the signing period, it's probably too late, but if you have enough faith in Coach Miles to keep him for 2017-18, then say it publicly. It really isn't that difficult. 

If he isn't your guy, then you should have fired him. Rip off the Band-Aid and start fresh. This wishy-washy lack of comments just results in doubt and confusion. And rumors. Tons and tons and tons of rumors.

Time for him to come out of his bunker and make an appearance. Even public company CEOs have to speak to the shareholders once a quarter. And there are a lot of public companies that don't operate organizations that make $125M+ per year, as NU is about to make.

The AD can't be a hermit. He/she has to be a leader, inspire confidence, etc. He/she doesn't have to be Stevie P and hold a press conference every time he/she has a successful bowel movement, but there's a happy medium there.

PS - And while he's making his rare media appearance, how about laying out his vision for NU's overall athletic program going forward? We're going to be seeing the full Big Ten share in less than 2 1/2 months. If there was ever a time to have a rock solid, long term plan in place, this would be it. How's about sharing at least an overview of it with the paying public?

Where is that money going? Hopefully a cut in ticket prices, even a small one, is on the table. Hopefully an idea of adding several more layers of bureaucracy in the AD's office is not.

With a $25M-$35M jump in the athletics budget on the horizon, that should push NU into the Top 15, if not the Top 10, of all athletic departments in funding.

Time to start acting like we belong there.

/ [rant]

Edited by throwback

16 minutes ago, throwback said:

Hopefully a cut in ticket prices, even a small one, is on the table.

Husker ticket prices are already embarrassingly cheap compared to its peers, has always been that way, I would be pretty surprised to see this happen.

19 minutes ago, throwback said:

[rant]

Well, it's after the Final Four. It's after the Spring Game. Yet still no word from the AD's office.

43 days since we've played a game. And all we've "heard" from the AD is a tweet. 

It's beyond time to lay out his vision for the program. What is the plan? I don't want to hear an ultimatum for 2017-18 - that almost never works out well for either party. But you can still articulate long term expectations for the program that don't have to include an ultimatum.

To me, at least part this sh!tst0rm of an offseason has come from the silence from above. Since we're more than a week into the signing period, it's probably too late, but if you have enough faith in Coach Miles to keep him for 2017-18, then say it publicly. It really isn't that difficult. 

If he isn't your guy, then you should have fired him. Rip off the Band-Aid and start fresh. This wishy-washy lack of comments just results in doubt and confusion. And rumors. Tons and tons and tons of rumors.

Time for him to come out of his bunker and make an appearance. Even public company CEOs have to speak to the shareholders once a quarter. And there are a lot of public companies that don't operate organizations that make $125M+ per year, as NU is about to make.

The AD can't be a hermit. He/she has to be a leader, inspire confidence, etc. He/she doesn't have to be Stevie P and hold a press conference every time he/she has a successful bowel movement, but there's a happy medium there.

PS - And while he's making his rare media appearance, how about laying out his vision for NU's overall athletic program going forward? We're going to be seeing the full Big Ten share in less than 2 1/2 months. If there was ever a time to have a rock solid, long term plan in place, this would be it. How's about sharing at least an overview of it with the paying public?

Where is that money going? Hopefully a cut in ticket prices, even a small one, is on the table. Hopefully an idea of adding several more layers of bureaucracy in the AD's office is not.

With a $25M-$35M jump in the athletics budget on the horizon, that should push NU into the Top 15, if not the Top 10, of all athletic departments in funding.

Time to start acting like we belong there.

/ [rant]

I completely agree with your comments about the silence and about the need for him to lay out a vision for the athletic department.  The longer he waits to say something (after he already said he was going to say something), the more fuel it adds to the fire on all the rumors out there.  I have zero inside information but the way he is behaving sure makes it seem like he has something in the works that he's waiting to finalize (like a new coach) before speaking.  Otherwise, I see no reason why he wouldn't have already had his after the season discussion he promised us.  If he is planning to keep Miles around and actually wants him to be successful, there is no reason to not publicly talk about the program and say Miles is your guy.  All he's doing is crippling recruiting efforts and giving rival coaches fodder for negative recruiting.

The other reason for his silence could be that he's an idiot and completely over his head.  I doubt that's the case and certainly hope it's not true as that would be the worst possible thing for the athletic department.

53 minutes ago, throwback said: