This is Why Lincoln Can't Have Nice Things

Just a little food for thought:

"Driving for 6: Why Omaha (and not Lincoln) gets the big NCAA events; and the perfect slot guy"

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/life-in-the-red/driving-for-why-omaha-and-not-lincoln-gets-the-big/article_e48ba7d8-2f4c-11e7-846f-5f6300b1e064.html

What I got from this story was that Sipple likes Mexican food and he only uses one main statement to form an argument. That said, this topic had come up at some point in the past so I figured I'd share.

1) Full-service hotels: NCAA 1st/2nd Rounds need 9 full-service (24 hour room service) hotels (one fore each of the 8 teams and one for NCAA officials)

2) Convention center: i.e. the American Volleyball Coaches' Association needs a convention space for their annual clinic at the Final Four

3) Omaha population > Lincoln population .:. Omaha diversity > Lincoln diversity .:. Omaha restaurants > Lincoln restaurants

4) Clearly Lincoln doesn't have any good authentic Mexican restaurants... or Sipple hasn't visited them

5) Hosting history/execution matters

Other things that were left out that likely matter are Lincoln's accessibility across the nation to the LNK airport, variety/volume of local attractions, capacity concerns (i.e. how many people can you fit in the city centers/streets; are they over congested?), schedule conflicts, etc.

Has Sip never eaten at Tico's?  Tico's is legit, and the only Omaha Mexican restaurant that I'd slot above it is Julio's (and they're not even "authentic").  Just because Omaha has about 20 locations of crappy local chain La Mesa doesn't mean jack.  Now if you want to start talking Thai, Indian, and Cuban restaurants, then yeah Omaha is awesome.

10 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Has Sip never eaten at Tico's?  Tico's is legit, and the only Omaha Mexican restaurant that I'd slot above it is Julio's (and they're not even "authentic").  Just because Omaha has about 20 locations of crappy local chain La Mesa doesn't mean jack.  Now if you want to start talking Thai, Indian, and Cuban restaurants, then yeah Omaha is awesome.

Man if you think Julio's is the best mexican in Omaha, you need to try some new places. And yes La Mesa and chains like that blow as well. Try South Omaha. 

Plan A.

- Turn every D'Leons into a hotel....enough full service 24/7 authentic mexican hotels to do whatever we want

- Host Super Bowl

- Hope this is enough to show Omaha that they're not so hot after all. 

Plan B.

Foul Justin Patton every time down the court

47 minutes ago, aphilso1 said:

Boy I really hope you are joking!

Here is a laundry list of Omaha Mexican food places that are better than weak ass Julio's.  Hell El Bee's and OJ's are better than Julio's

Cilantro's is the best "Chain" Mexican in Omaha

Abelardo's (Fast Food)

Lina's (Fast Food)

Howards Charro

Victor's

Guaca Maya

Don Gaby's

El Rancho

Azteca

And just about every restaurant south of 24th and L Street

Edit: Also want to give a shout out to Jacobo's(Grocery Store) because you can buy Carnita's by the pound there and their chips and salsa are cheap and delicious!

Edited by big red22

29 minutes ago, big red22 said:

Edit: Also want to give a shout out to Jacobo's(Grocery Store) because you can buy Carnita's by the pound there and their chips and salsa are cheap and delicious!

Was just going to mention Jacobo's.  Will probably go tomorrow when I am out that way.  The salsa is tremendous.  I usually get burritos enchiladas and chips and salsa.  Those are all excellent.  Will have to try the Carnita's. 

30 minutes ago, big red22 said:

Boy I really hope you are joking!

Here is a laundry list of Omaha Mexican food places that are better than weak ass Julio's.  Hell El Bee's and OJ's are better than Julio's

Cilantro's is the best "Chain" Mexican in Omaha

Abelardo's (Fast Food)

Lina's (Fast Food)

Howards Charro

Victor's

Guaca Maya

Don Gaby's

El Rancho

Azteca

And just about every restaurant south of 24th and L Street

Solid list. And Jacobo's salsa is insanely good.

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

Lo Sole Mio

1 hour ago, aphilso1 said:

The Oven in the Haymarket is legit.